Potato Advice Requested

Ellijay, Georgia, United States

I've been gardening for years now, but until this year, had never grown potatos. I planted both irish and sweet (yes, I know the difference), but am unsure of when to harvest. Can I leave them in the ground until I need them? Or, should I dig them up and store in the basement?

Maybe I've left them too long already. It was 19 degrees at 7:30 this morning.

Any advice would be great. We've already eaten a few of both kinds, and they were marvelous.

Augusta, GA(Zone 8a)

Sweet potatoes are especillay sensitive to cold. If the vines were removed, they are probably ok for now, But as the soil temp drops, they will be damaged. If frost kills the vines, tho, the black from the dead vines will often extend down into the root. Irish potatoes . main concerns are vole damage and sprouting. The little ones left behind at harvest have emerged and were 6-8 inches high before this cold snap.

Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA(Zone 7b)

And if you store potatoes cure them first. Sweets will rot especially fast. We used to put ours on chicken wire screens that were raised on concrete blocks for a few weeks. A length of vinyl closet rack works great too.
Laurel

Oh, that's good advice I didn't know. Thanks everyone!
I want to grow sweet potatoes next year, and I need to learn to make the slips. Also going to grow regular potatoes again. I need to make a potato bin.

GGG

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.