asparagus source?

Lumberton, TX(Zone 8b)

I really want to put in an asparagus bed, and from what I've read it's best if I put in the sets in January. My problem is finding them in January! Does anyone know a mail order business that sends them out then? Territorial sends them out in mid-April and it's getting pretty hot here by then.

Edited to say Johnny's Seeds sends them in March/April, too.

This message was edited Nov 19, 2008 9:04 AM

Augusta, GA(Zone 8a)

Unless you find a southern based supplier, I doubt that you will find crowns earlier than March. This is a major producer, supplying many of the smaller retailers, but March is the earliest. http://www.jerseyasparagus.com/

Lumberton, TX(Zone 8b)

Thanks. That's what I was afraid of. I'll call some local nurseries and see what they can do. And, while January is apparently optimum, I've grown some good stuff planting at a less-than-optimum time, so if it has to be March I'll survive!

Keaau, HI(Zone 11)

I am also looking for asparagus, BL...will let you know if I find one. I am tracking down a friend who sent me some in January from California....

Carol

Lumberton, TX(Zone 8b)

Well, I just ordered some from Park's. They send things out by zone and should send mine in January!

Augusta, GA(Zone 8a)

brigidlily. You may wish to make a phone call and and ask them specifically when they will ship. Parks is more than likely drop shipping from Jersey Plant Farms. They also don't have a great reputation for plants.

Lumberton, TX(Zone 8b)

Oh. Hmmm. I've ordered from them before and not had the problems others have, but I guess this would be an entirely different situation. Thanks.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.