Firewheel Tree Stenocarpus sinuatus

Holland, OH(Zone 5b)

Wow! Us Zone 5'rs don't get to see much of that zone 9 - 10 stuff. Thanks for taking the time to post it.

Newark, CA

This was the first year it bloomed. I'm waiting for the silkfloss and illawarra flame trees to bloom someday in my front yard in Newark, Ca.

Silkfloss in Union City, Ca.

http://www.fremontica.com/roadside/usermap3.php?tree_map=1&asset_n=451

Illawarra Flame tree in Union City, ca. this year--planted in 1966 by Bill Farley

http://s207.photobucket.com/albums/bb221/swamptreenelly/?action=view¤t=BillFarleys1966FlameTree.jpg

PERTH, Australia

Hi swamptreenelly.  I just stumbled upon this thread and thought you may be interested in a Brachychiton Acerifolius that is flowering at the present time in our backyard.  I took this shot a few days ago.  This tree was a sapling when we moved here 32 years ago.  Next to it is a B. discolor (Queensland Lacebark) which is equally as beautiful in flower.  My experience with brachychitons is that they do what they want when they want to, flowering spectacularly some years and will then do nothing for four or five years, then put on a display like this.  I've planted ten Rupestris from seed.  They are all at the sapling stage and because of our climate, probably won't start developing the swollen trunks for another 2-3 years.
We also have a Firewheel tree, which again is spectacular when flowering, which it isn't at the moment.  I have seeds aplenty if anyone would like some.

Thumbnail by MargaretK
Newark, CA

Very nice Margaret! Those trees are very drought tolerant too. I'm suprise they are not planted more next to Jacarandas.

We started planted the Flame Jacaranda combination around town two months ago. Someday this will look great!!!!!

PERTH, Australia

Swamptreenelly, Jacarandas are flowering here at present and look absolutely fantastic. Our neighbour has one and funny enough, I was pondering how I could get the two trees into the one shot. It will be difficult, but I'll try it. Our discolor has burst into flower over the last few days. I'll need to get up onto the roof or go to another neighbour's balcony to get a shot.

Here's a shot of our discolor from a couple of years ago. The flowers are much larger than on the flame tree. Ours flowers from November through to March.

Thumbnail by MargaretK

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.