little Georgia gheko

Lilburn, GA

Hi,

(I also posted it in the wildlife thread in case someone there can help)

There is a little green gheko (who used to be brown) living in my sun room where i keep my many plants. He has been there for more than a month and I am worried he will run out of food.

How can i help him to keep alive? Is there anything else I can feed him?

I placed a big clay dish with some pebbles and fill it with fresh water so he can have a drink.

Can anyone help?

thank you
Spider and gheko

Jackson, SC(Zone 8a)

get some crickets and meal worms maybe he will eat those

Lilburn, GA

thank you imzadi.:o)

Augusta, GA(Zone 8a)

What you have is the green Anole (Anolis carolinensis) quite plentiful in Georgia. This link will give some ideas as to what to provide in the way of food. http://www.anapsid.org/anole.html

Lilburn, GA

Awww Farmerdill,

thank you very much for the link. Lots of great info!

Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA(Zone 7b)

They hibernate in the winter, often in groups. You could shoo it outside during the warmer part of the day. They normally drink from leaves, so be careful that it can't fall in the water bowl. There is one part of our garden that has old leaves on a hillside. As soon as I start to water, you can hear the leaves rustling and the anoles start running into the garden for water. My kids used to say "there's an ole". lol
Laurel

Lilburn, GA

Hi Laurel,

I am just worried that it is too late for him to find a group to hibernate with.

I have kept the door open many times but he doesn't go out. Now it is too cold to leave it open.

what should i do? Get the mealworms and keep him here for the winter or let him go? I want the best for him but I don't know what to do.

Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA(Zone 7b)

They really don't need a social life and live alone too. Just shush it out during the warmer part of the day. They live under rocks, logs, leaves and so on. I have holes on the side of the hill where they bury in for the cold weather. They are resourceful and not the same animal as their tropical relatives. They are easily stressed in captivity. Unless you are bent on having an anole as a pet, I think it should be returned to the outdoors.
Laurel

Lilburn, GA

Thank you Laurel,

I will try and catch him tomorrow morning.:o)

Dacula, GA(Zone 7b)

I have some that hang out in my greenhouse. They seem to find enough food and water without me doing anything for them. They disappear sometime during the winter and reappear in early spring to eat the bugs on my seedlings. I've been startled by them many times. I don't think you need to worry about him. Like Laurel says, shoo him out and maybe he'll get the point.

Lilburn, GA

LOL!

I have been looking for him this morning but can't find him. I have so many plants and trays everywhere. Will keep looking and will leave the door open once the day gets warmer.:o)

Augusta, GA(Zone 8a)

Remember that these are actually chameleons. Colors change to match whatever they are sitting on at the time. Hard to find when they are not moving.

Lilburn, GA

Hi,

I just found him sitting by the door so I opened it and let him go outside. I noticed that here is a gap at the bottom of the door that is big enough for him to come in and out of the sun room and go to the garden.

I hope to see him again sometime. i had lots of fun with him and I will miss his little face.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.