Wanting to plant some orange and lemon trees in New Orleans

Gretna, LA

Hi my name is Teresa , I live in Gretna right outside new orleans. I am wanting to plant and orange and lemon trees. I would like some as to what I need to do plant the trees I will probably will plant them in the next month. thanks Teresa

Hahira, GA(Zone 8b)

Teresa - I don't know much about New Orleans, and only slightly more about Oranges and lemons, but had to check to see if you grew up in Orlando, FL. My best friend in 1st grade (and beyond) was Teresa, & I called her Topcat! Samantha

Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

My mother lived in Gretna and grew lemons, satsumas and oranges, but I don't know how she did it, but she checked a lot with her County Extension Agent. You might try that, too. Just look Extension Service up in the phone book. The extension agents are full of free hints.

Bluffton, SC(Zone 9a)

Meyers lemons, tangerines, satsumas to be on the more cold hardy side.

Okay just looked it up where you are and you have no problems growing citrus. You need to get more exact in what you are asking.

Potted or in the ground??? What do you want to grow or more important how much room do you have?

Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

My mother also grew kumquats. Kumquats can be grown in pots or the ground. My mother grew everything else in the ground. Meyer lemons are the best lemons I have ever had. I believe she also grew grapefruit, but they were small.

Kannapolis, NC

By all means, try a Meyer lemon or two and if you're not in a hurry, buy a lemon itself and plant the seeds. It'll save you lots of money! See my posting on Meyer lemons for more info.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.