Which ones to save (Dahlia tubers to overwinter)

Mid-Cape, MA(Zone 7a)

Hi--here I am, still a newbie to overwintering dahlia tubers. Today I dug up several clumps to divide, and I'm not sure which of the tubers to save for next spring. Some of the tubers are plump and easy, but others have very long "necks" and I'm not sure how to figure out if they have eyes or not, nor whether such long thin tubers are worth saving at all.
Do I just try to make sure that there is a section that has an eye or two, regardless of how long the necks are? Or should I ignore them?
These are all first-year clumps.
Thanks in advance.

Thumbnail by CapeCodGardener
Issaquah, WA(Zone 7a)

Hi Capecod, the long thin necks are prone to breakage as you see from your broken one there. I've already had to toss out several skinny necked ones that shrivelled up in only 48 hours and became garbage. ( They were really much thinner than yours.) They can be saved, and should if you're desperate to save the variety, but need TLC cutting and storing, in my view.

Your best tuber bet there is the nice plump one at about 2:00 in the photo and perhaps some of the bigger ones underneath the skinnies that I can't see very well.

Did you look at this thread for some tips ( and blurry photos LOL?)
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/918747/

Mid-Cape, MA(Zone 7a)

Thanks for the prompt advice, Poochella. I won't waste my time on the skinny ones. I'll go for the nice plump ones that don't need a whole lot of expert pampering.

Yes, I have read and re-read that useful thread. Nothing like pictures to explain things better than any verbal description.

Thanks again!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.