ID please

San Diego-ScrippsR, CA(Zone 10a)

I posted this on Shrubs and Trees but no help. Can anyone id this bush. It came to me as a 1' bronze plant. It has totally changed color and I am wondering how tall it gets. I have no idea where to look. Thanks in advance.

Thumbnail by seawatch888

Another pic.

Thumbnail by seawatch888
Dublin, CA(Zone 9a)

It looks a bit on the woody side to be a perennial...you may have the best luck if you post it in the Plant Identification forum, that's where I would typically try first for plant ID's.

Delphi, IN

One of the new Wegielias ???

Danville, IN

It looks like one of the newer burgundy weigelas, possibly 'Dark Horse', 'Wine & Roses', 'Midnight Wine', or the older variety 'Java Red'. However, you being in sunny California, it might be something completely different and not familiar to this Midwesterner.

West Pottsgrove, PA(Zone 6b)

This was identified as Acalypha wilkesiana in the ID forum:

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/925051/

I thought I posted a "thanks guys" here but I guess I forgot or did it somewhere else. It was identified as Acalypha wilkesiana as ClayPa noted.

Brandon, FL(Zone 9b)

I'm puzzled over a few plants that are really doing well and before I share anything, I would like to know the names (specific names if possible)

Thanks in advance to anyone who can help!

Thumbnail by DIRTYGIRL71
Brandon, FL(Zone 9b)

These lil buggers are popping up ALL OVER.

Thumbnail by DIRTYGIRL71
Brandon, FL(Zone 9b)

heres a smaller one

Brandon, FL(Zone 9b)

DUH.... help if ya can see the pix! *LOL*

Thumbnail by DIRTYGIRL71

The second one is some kind of Chenopodium

Brandon, FL(Zone 9b)

????

Colorado Springs, CO(Zone 6a)

The purple and red ones are Verbena. No telling what cultivar though.

Brandon, FL(Zone 9b)

THank You, art_n_garden...

Verbena--pretty anyway.

Brandon, FL(Zone 9b)

I keep splitting the verbena...and pop them all over my landscape bed, looks so pretty!!

Brandon, FL(Zone 9b)

Ok...need help again.... started a couple of seeds from a trade...and my label faded, and I have no clue what they are...

Thumbnail by DIRTYGIRL71
Nilwood, IL(Zone 5b)

Cardinal flower--Lobielia look on plant files for the info. BEV

Pretty sure that's a Salvia coccinea:

http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/b/Lamiaceae/Salvia/coccinea/cultivar/0/

There is an ID forum here, might be easier:

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/f/plantid/all/

Brandon, FL(Zone 9b)

Thanks a bunch, claypa... that's what it is for sure, Salvia coccinea . . but now just how invasive are they?? this far south?

It's not, as far as I know.

http://www.floridata.com/ref/S/salv_coc.cfm

Brandon, FL(Zone 9b)

I've done it again... threw out some seeds, they sprouted, now I don't know what they are..

Thumbnail by DIRTYGIRL71
Nilwood, IL(Zone 5b)

Looks like Balsom. I am not sure. BEV

Brandon, FL(Zone 9b)

dragonfly62, I've looked high and low for Balsom...so I'm clueless as to what it is...can you help me please? ANYONE??

Nilwood, IL(Zone 5b)

I am sorry. I don't know the tech name for it. I grew it several yrs ago and it disappeared. BEV

Saint Bonifacius, MN(Zone 4a)

Could be balsam impatiens(Impatiens balsamina), but also looks like celosia. I think celosia is more likely. I would expect to see flower buds at this stage if it were balsam.

Nilwood, IL(Zone 5b)

If is Balsam, they get pretty tall before they flower. I think about three foot or so. BEV

Saint Bonifacius, MN(Zone 4a)

Balsam would be significantly taller than in the pic when they actually flower. (You know how they stretch.) I am not doubting you, Bev, but if your balsams get 3 feet before they flower, I wonder if we're talking about the same thing.

Actually, I am not dead set for or against either ID suggestion. :)

Rick

Nilwood, IL(Zone 5b)

I don't know. It has trs since I grew it. Just guessing. BEV

Brandon, FL(Zone 9b)

ok... it's like TRIVIAL PURSUIT in my garden *LOL* I snagged a snip at the zoo awhile back...loved the look of the plant.. thought I lost it at first, so I neglected it.. ((guess what...it LOVES NEGLECT)) . BUT..I have no clue what it is... I DO know it is some sort of a succulant..I have it now in a basket with string of buttons, and IT LOVES where it is! ((BOTH OF THEM)) . So... can anyone help with this one?

Thumbnail by DIRTYGIRL71
Brandon, FL(Zone 9b)

And here's a (blurry) shot of a leaf that "fell off" ((according to my 6 year old))...I just stuck it back in the dirt.. and now it has what looks like pups all over it...but the parent plant does NOT have these pups OR the color. ((and yes, the leaf is from the above plant)).

((told ya my garden what like TRIVIAL PURSUIT))

Thumbnail by DIRTYGIRL71
Brandon, FL(Zone 9b)

I have new pix's for the plant I posted back in May...it has grown..and flowered... so maybe I can get a wee bit more help in identifying it.

There are several plants that are growing side by side...very sturdy stalks too.. about 2 1/2 ft. tall... there are two colors that came in the same seed pack...yes, these were started from seeds... very pretty purple and pink!

Thumbnail by DIRTYGIRL71
Brandon, FL(Zone 9b)

close up of the pink flowers... the leaves have a neat lil jagged edge..not sharp but neat.

Thumbnail by DIRTYGIRL71
Nilwood, IL(Zone 5b)

I think that is Balsom. BEV

Brandon, FL(Zone 9b)

I still have no clue what Balsom is?!?! can you point me to a web site?

It's called Balsam or Touch-Me-Not, Impatiens balsamina:

http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/156/

Brandon, FL(Zone 9b)

I think I may have found it...FINALLY!!!

http://www.richfarmgarden.com/balsam.html

Brandon, FL(Zone 9b)

YEAH...TOUCH ME NOTS..... *LOL*
thanks claypa!!! I seriously need to save packages when I sprinkle seeds!! *LOL*

Fairview, TX(Zone 7a)

Your last plant is a sedum - I have LOTS of them. They will start pups from the leaves - also, if you trim them back, put the trimmings in a pot and VOILA! you have more plants.

Good Luck,
Carole

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.