Anyone order from this seed company?

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

I cant locate them in Garden Watchdog. Found them on the net.

Thumbnail by ge1836
Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

Guess it would help if you knew the nams
"One Stop Poppy seed Shop"

Charleston, SC(Zone 9a)

It would be far easier for us to answer the question if you provided a name or link for the company - or am I overlooking something here? ;-)

Charleston, SC(Zone 9a)

Cross posted. Thanks for the info.

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

I am not used to starting threads but bear with me.
Here is the link
They have an interesting collection of poppy seeds.
http://www.onestoppoppyshoppe.com/servlet/the-1/Black-Poppy-Seeds-Papaver/Detail

Charleston, SC(Zone 9a)

It is easy to omit the link or other important info even when we are quite experienced in starting threads.

Thanks for the link. They do seem to have a nice assortment. I've never purchased from them before - but I may start. Hope someone else will be of greater help.

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

Mailorder trust is how I found DG.
Article in GardenGate headlines "Daves Garden lists five worst mail order nursries"
I had such bad luck for years, I didn't trust anyone.
I looked up the nursries that had burned me and sure enough there they were with tons od negative statements.
I am almost at max cap. for poppy seeds but will see if there is something else I need from them to evaluate.
Just checked them out.
Expensive and they only take PayPal
I dont have an account so I'll take a pass ,there are three other seed co.'s that are cheaper for the same seeds.

This message was edited Nov 15, 2008 12:29 PM

Greenbush, MI(Zone 4b)

I have dealt with One Stop Poppy Shop several times. She has a very nice assortment of seeds. She fills the order fast and usually includes a gift of some seed.

Carol

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

Thanks so much for your endorsment. I will change my mind and give her a try.
Any reason she is unlisted in Garden Watchdog?

Greenbush, MI(Zone 4b)

I never thought until now to put her in the "Garden Watchdog". I put her in yesterday. She has a small shop, but as I said she is very fast ,has nice seeds, and appreciates your business.

Carol

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

I caved in and opened a Paypal account and bought two white annual varieties.
Of course we wont be doing any planting for awhile.

This message was edited Nov 22, 2008 11:53 AM

Thumbnail by ge1836
Springfield, IL(Zone 5b)

Ya know, looking at that white stuff reminds me of how I usually plant my poppies...I wait till a late-season snow storm is on the way, and scatter the seeds on to the ground right as the first flakes are falling. Not a neccessity, I know, but it's the only way I have ever had success.
(and helps me not hate those February snows as much)

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

I am going to sow again in March just to se if it makes a difference.
Since readinf the other threads here I believe the seeds need a cold start.
Thatt'l be March here. Early March can be below zero.The last two weeks are warmer and we definatly get the feeling spring is comming.
Now let's see. Thats four months from now.

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

artemis Do you sow over mulch?

Springfield, IL(Zone 5b)

no..I actually clear and prepare the bed before I sow them..and I dont put mulch back until they are coming up, thin I thin and mulch.

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

I have no luck ontop of mulch, my one attempt last year in the ne gardens was a faiure.
This year I pulled back the mulch to bare ground and sowed in those spots.
I will March sow in a garden that has Preen on it so March will be clear of Preen.
This garden has deep mulch because its new on top of clay soil.
I have amended the soil with mulch and compost wherever I planted perennials.
It's really virgin territory.

Thumbnail by ge1836
Springfield, IL(Zone 5b)

Here's a pic of my seedlings from this year:

Thumbnail by artemiss
Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

Sweeeeet
What advantage do you see in working up the soil before you sow?

Springfield, IL(Zone 5b)

I guess I should clarify-I really just rake all the leaves and mulch back and pull any weeds..the raking tends to break the surface of the soil a bit, and I figure gives the seeds a chance to settle in a little spot rather than blowing away, if that makes sense.

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

Yes that was what I was thinking and what I do after the "top o' the mulch" disaster.
They really only need a microspot to germinate in a friendly medium, and a cold period befor they do sprout.
Good advise about mulching after they are up and going.
Did you read about thinning and transplanting?
I guess its possible if you catch the clump early and divide into small clumps.
The gardner who gave that tip said he sows in clumps( I will try pinches of seeds) because for some unknown reason they germinate better when sown that way instead of broadcasting in a wide area.

Franklin, WI(Zone 5a)

I bought from her last year and was pleased with the seeds she sent. Packaging was nice too...

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

She has just joined DG after seeing herself listed.
I like the way she presents her product, easy to read with flower lables on each seed packet.
She is also eager for feed back.
I will order from her again.

Mackinaw, IL(Zone 5a)

I just ordered 4 varieties from her, and received them VERY promptly, less than a week after I placed the order, nicely packaged, with a very complete full-page insert on growing poppies. She also included a bonus packet of seed.

I haven't sown them yet, obviously, so don't know about germination rate, but they were clearly labeled with pictures on the little envies.

She also responded quickly to d-mail, and was very chatty and friendly.

No complaints here!

Angie

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

I liked her packaging very much. She is truely excited to be listed on DG.

Plymouth, IN(Zone 5a)

I purchased from her on ebay a few months ago. I love the pics she puts on the envelopes. Very helpful for people like me who have a hard time in the spring remembering what I ordered. ;) Can't wait to get them started.

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

She sure knows gardeners with those picturedlables

Greenbush, MI(Zone 4b)

I just ordered from her again and I'm looking forward to some more wonnderful seeds! It's great business!!!!!!!!!!

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

I just wintersowed the poppies and the OP's I bought will get started in March.

Delray Beach, FL(Zone 10b)

ge, how did the wintersowing work for your poppies? I am also in zone 6. My newbie seed starting didn't go well, but I have seeds left to try again

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

The indoor seed starting isnt so great.I wont do it again
The direct sowing out doors in Dec. and March is going great.Everything is popping up.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.