Todays Weather in Your Garden - 33

Lower Hudson Valley, NY(Zone 6b)

Coming from here:

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/918066/

This is the place to talk about the weather...

Thumbnail by victorgardener
Nantucket, MA(Zone 7a)

Clearing, sun is out, patches of blue. Off to the nursery as they are having a sale! Patti

Pouring here right now. Good luck at the sale, Patti!

Nantucket, MA(Zone 7a)

I want another holly, but an American one. I haven't suggested this to DH yet. But we have a big pitch pine to replace with something. I am thinking something that has winter interest. Plenty of room for anything. I have a big Quercus robur Fastigiata which is dense and the leaves stay on until Dec which might be a good thing for this spot. Patti

Hollies are nice. Don't want a conifer?

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

Its been raining steady since early this AM.
Temps going down and snain tomorrow with much colder temps next week.
Just wintersowed(in the rain) four seedballs mixed wildflowers.
Scarlet Flax,Plains coreopsis,blackeyed susan.

Nantucket, MA(Zone 7a)

We have left this part of the property as mostly cedars, pines, beach plum, scrub oaks, American holly, sweet fern, bayberry, viburnums, high bush blueberries, choke cherries, mugo pines, rug juniper, Rosa rugosa, clethra, illex, and stand of tupelo, so not sure what conifer would look natural in this spot. I will look and see what they have. The deer are a big consideration. I want to add something that blends well but has density. The bike path is just beyond this spot through a natural barrier that we have left unmaintained. I think the oak would look fine as would a swamp maple, but the oak would give privacy and more of a sound barrier to the road beyond. A big holly could be perfect too. But I will look at his conifers. Patti

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

Gotta love a sale Patti

Thomaston, CT

Raining--at times, pouring---some thunder-- but 60, & loving it! Sounds better than snain, Jo Ann! Patti---I love hollies in the winter---my Dad planted several---they are huge---sometimes they have berries---but my Mom would like them gone, because of the spiny leaves--they do shed some, but that shouldn't be a problem where you're placing it.

1 1/2 inches since Thursday.

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

Still drippy and gray.

Thumbnail by ge1836
Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

Everything is asleep.
I have so much hope for all the new plants I put in this spring,
Hope they dont die
Hope they come up bigger next year
Hope the squirrils havnt mis buried the bulbs.

Thumbnail by ge1836

Moving the bulbs is not so bad. Hopefully they did not eat them!

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

the last of the non weather pics
side by side Nov on the left
Sept on the right

Thumbnail by ge1836
Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

Like you I am trying coridilis, they are shallow planted, easy for the squirrls. We'll see come spring, I did fine one on top odf the ground,and a tulip bulb under the tree ten feet from where It wasplanted. I just have to let go and do my best.

Nantucket, MA(Zone 7a)

Clouded up again with light fog moving in.

Just got back from the nursery a little lighter in the pocket, as we found a magnificent specimen Ilex x 'Nellie R. Stevens' which is a cross between an Ilex aquifolium and Ilex cornuta . It was huge and dense and covered with berries with a wonderful broad habit. A perfect tree for the spot. Now we have to get it moved here and planted. Too big for us. Merry Christmas to my DH for the tree, and he can Merry Christmas to me for the planting cost. It was a big ouch, but 1/2 price. No picture yet. Patti

Congrats!

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

sounds like a nice way to spend the day.

The Monadnock Region, NH(Zone 5a)

Rain with occasional thunder here. I love your photos, Jo Ann. Great find on the tree at the nursery, Patti. How nice of DH to help with the total cost.

It's just dreary here today, and I feel dreary, too. It helps to look at my May and June photos, though!

South China, ME(Zone 5a)

Dreary and raining here but not cold...54 degree's!

Dreary here, but ridiculously warm - 64!

I'm right in the middle of both of you - 60 degrees!
Wind: 1 MPH and southerly
Cloudy with rain and occasional thunder

South China, ME(Zone 5a)

I love ridiculously warm at this time of the year. ^_^

Me too, but it's about to change drastically. That's not fun.

South China, ME(Zone 5a)

No it's not, im not looking forward to it at all.

central, NJ(Zone 6b)

Unbelievably warm, weather was sunny as guests were arriving for son's party, but there was a tornado warning announced till 7pm for our area(lovely)

As some of our family were leaving at 6:30, it started to downpour had to run around and close windows.
high of 68 today

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

Goodmorning everyone
Temps dropped 20 degrees overnight.
Its 34* now and only a high of 39* for the day.
I think its drizzling but too dark to tell.
We are dupposed to get snow and rrain mix today.

Denville, NJ(Zone 6b)

poured on and off last night..... we are at 43 now only going up to 46... no big jump in the temp today.. they said because of the cloud cover

Long Island, NY(Zone 6b)

Seems to have finally calmed down a bit here. Thought I saw Dorothy and Toto fly by a couple of times yesterday! The weather is supposed to take a nose dive now..

Today: Partly sunny, with a high near 52. Breezy, with a west wind between 20 and 23 mph, with gusts as high as 34 mph.

Tonight: Partly cloudy, with a low around 32. Breezy, with a west wind between 15 and 20 mph.

Monday: Mostly sunny, with a high near 41. West wind between 11 and 14 mph.

Monday Night: A chance of snow showers, mainly after midnight. Mostly cloudy, with a low around 29. Northwest wind between 8 and 10 mph. Chance of precipitation is 30%.

60 degrees. Not raining now..... Poured all night.

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

the cold front is here.
All next week temps in the thirties w/night temps in the twenties.

Nantucket, MA(Zone 7a)

Poured here too last night. Mild,slight breeze. 55 degrees. Light mist. Patti

Dropped 10 degrees in 1 hour. Now 50

Buffalo, NY(Zone 6a)

Snow for the next 5 days predicted .... Monday Night's Buffalo Bills game should be most interesting.

Rains have flooded the yard so it is hard to tell where the pond ends and the yard start.

Temperatures are dropping.

Sunrise: 7:09

Cloudy, 36ºF (feels like 25º) ; High, 40ºF ; Low, 28ºF
Wind: 18 mph, direction W
Pressure: 29.64 in, rising
Humidity: 81%, Dew point: 30ºF
Visibility: 10.0 mi, UV-index: 0, Low

Sunset: 16:50

Measured: Nov/16/08, 09:09

Nantucket, MA(Zone 7a)

More rain. No sign of it clearing. Patti

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

Yep Willi I was out taking the last garden pictures and it was snowing.
We are due for cold all next week.

South China, ME(Zone 5a)

Oh NO! Not snow!! I feel for you , I really do!

Poured here all yesterday afternoon, then the wind howled, really howled last night and the rain was drenching!!!

Cloudy :57°
Barometer:29.18 in and rising rapidly
Humidity:88%
Visibility:10 mi
Dewpoint:54°
Wind:S 10 mph
Sunrise:6:37 am
Sunset:4:10 pm
Low for tonight:31

Strong winds overnight caused Little Miss "M" to wake up constantly. Parents and Grandma are very tired this morning. The wind is still gusting, bringing in the colder temps - ugh!! LOL! The power has been flickering all day long, and now the power just went off for about 10 seconds. It's gonna be a strange day in New England!

Currently:
47°
Wind: 6 MPH and gusting at times
Humidity: 100%
Dewpoint: 48°
Pressure: 29.81 in. and falling

Sunrise: 6:38 am
Sunset: 4:22 pm

Jeepers, Celeste. You are warmer in Maine than we are in New Hampshire!

South China, ME(Zone 5a)

I know Candyce, you already said it ........"It's gonna be a strange day in New England". You ain't kidding!!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.