Anyone on line right now that can give me baking advice????

central, NJ(Zone 6b)

I need help!!!! I baked a firetruck cake for my son's b-day party on Sat and I failed to slice off the rounded top, so when I flipped it over it split.
I can just kick myself. Can it be saved or do I have to make another one???

southern willamette , OR(Zone 7a)

Jen, I believe that there is a cooking thread. If someone doesn't show up here soon, you might try posting your dilema over there.

I've never seen a fire truck cake, but sometimes split cakes can be pushed back together and held by toothpicks, then frosted over (of course remember to find the tooth picks when the cake is cut. sometimes you can wrap a string around the parts, tie off, tuck it into the cake and then when frosted it's not noticeable. However, that all depends on how firm the cake is. Good luck. Sorry that i'm not more help :-(

link to cooking forum.... http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/f/cooking/all/

central, NJ(Zone 6b)

I posted it over in recipes. There aren't many of us on this late at night, unfortunately. Maybe I'll try the string thing. I don't know...ugh... I guess I'll try that now and if it doesn't work at least I have time in the morning to bake another one.

Well, if you want... I'll post it over in the general forum, watch it until I go to bed (at least 2am my time) and if there's a good answer I'll make sure it makes it's way to you. Not sure that it's much help. But, I'd love to try. I've been in those sort of vicarious situations before!

central, NJ(Zone 6b)

I had 1 reply in recipes recommending the frosting "glue" and I also posted in cooking. I guess I can just check again in the morning to see if there is a consensus.
Thanks!!!

well.... good luck. Do let us all know how it turns out!!

I just remembered something Jen. There are at least a couple of food companies that have 24 hr cooking/baking hotlines during thanksgiving and christmas time. You might be in luck. I know that I saw them last year for Betty Crocker and Stouffers, one of them was specifically a true "help me" line. You might be able to do a search online for a 24 cooking hotline.

this was a webpage that I found fairly quickly. just a quick cut and paste.

Betty crocker and land o lakes look ok. I think the betty crocker has weekend hours now.

HOLIDAY HELP LINES
Many big food companies have hotlines staffed with experienced Home Economists for instant, personalized help during the holidays. Print out this list and tape it inside your pantry door for quick reference.

Butterball Turkey Talk-Line: 1-800-BUTTERBALL
The Turkey Talk-Line from the folks at Butterball is a great place for answers to turkey questions. The line is open Monday through Friday from 8 AM to 6 PM CST from now until December 21. And the best part of all: it's open Thanksgiving day, starting at 6 AM CST!! TDD line: 1-800-TDD-3848. Bilingual help is available. Online help in Spanish and English.

Honeysuckle White Help Line:1-800-810-6325
This line offers pre-recorded answers to lots of your turkey preparation questions. Online help and leftover recipes.
Perdue Farms: 1-800-473-7383
Find out about roasting, carving, stuffing, gravy and turkey leftovers. Online help.
USDA Meat and Poultry Hotline: 1-888-674-6854
If you have questions about food safety, including storage, handling and preparation of the Thanksgiving turkey, call the USDA hotline weekdays from 9 AM to 3 PM CST. TDD line: 1-800-256-7072 Online help for most frequently asked questions.

Reynolds Turkey Line: 1-800-745-4000
This hotline is open 24 hours a day. Call to get the best tips about cooking using Reynolds products. Online help.

Fleischmann's Yeast Baker's Help Line:1-800-777-4959
This helpline, for all your questions about breads and rolls, is open Monday - Friday from 9 AM - 7 PM, all year long. Online help.

Land O’Lakes Holiday Bake Line: 1-800-782-9606
Any and all baking questions are answered from 8 AM to 7 PM CST at Land O’Lakes from now until Christmas Eve. Online help.

Hershey's Consumer Hot Line: 1-800-468-1714
Let the folks at Hersheys walk you through every chocolate question you've ever had. Ask for recipes too! This line is open Monday - Friday from 9 AM to 4 PM EST, all year round. Online help.

Betty Crocker Hotline:1-888-ASK-BETTY or 1-888-275-2388,
This phone line is open Monday - Friday from 7:30 AM to 5:30 PM CST, year round. Get information on everything from baking perfect cookies to delicious gravy. Online help.

Libby Consumer Hot Line: 1-800-854-0374
Stressed about your pumpkin pie? Get tips and advice, plus recipes using canned pumpkin. The line is open Monday - Friday from 8 AM - 8 PM EST, all year round. Online help.

Ocean Spray Consumer Helpline:1-800-662-3263
Learn everything you ever wanted to know about cranberries, including ideas for using leftover canned cranberry sauce. The hotline is open Monday - Friday from 9 AM - 4 PM EST, all year round. And it's open on Thanksgiving! Online help.

S of Lake Ontario, NY(Zone 6a)

I've done the frosting glue before, with ok results, depends on how much is split.
I made DH a bd cake one time thar fell into a bunch of pieces, said oh well and globbed some frosting over the mess and said happy birthday! I'm sure yours won't be that bad.

Shelly, how wonderful of you to help so much!

South China, ME(Zone 5a)

Frosting glue will work.....done it many times! lol

Well, I'm not so sure about that Debilu.... we'll see how it goes. Thoes situations are never fun. Some of those messed up things can end up making the best memories though.

I had a cake that crumbled once, fortunately not for a birthday party. I took a packet of vanilla pudding and made it. Mixed in egg whites. Threw the cake pieces into a blender to make well, almost crumbs. Took the "crumbs" and threw them into the pudding and called it mousse. Strangely enough, folks actually thought that it tasted pretty good!

A happy accident pudding? You're right about the memories, I was just thinking that.
DH really laughed at his cake, and it might be the only one I can remember what kind it was - carrot, and what it looked like, but mostly how much we both laughed.

You definitely have to be in the right company for those crazy memories to turn out. Sounds like you married the right sort of company :-p

And it wasn't for a party with guests and little kids!
Good luck Jen

Lower Hudson Valley, NY(Zone 6b)

A guy would use duct tape. Good luck Jen and Happy Birthday to your son!

1st time I ever heard it used on a cake!

Westbrook, CT(Zone 6a)

My mother-in-law sent us a birthday cake once that had evidently split, because when we sliced it open, there was an aluminum foil layer underneath the icing, necessitating a foilectomy before eating. Needless to say, we reassured her it was delicious, with no mention of the alcoa ingredient.

Southwest , NH(Zone 5b)

You're a class act, Don!

Jen - please do let us know how this worked out for you. Hope it went well!

Louise

central, NJ(Zone 6b)

Thanks, all.
I propped it up with plastic spoons then put extra frosting in the cracks, looked fine, until I removed the spoons to slice it but by that time it didn't matter.

I'm leaving the fancy baking to the bakeries from now on.

Did you get a picture?

Glad things worked out, Jen.

central, NJ(Zone 6b)

Took a pic, but it's a really ugly cake so I refuse to post it!!! lol
My son loved it so that's all that counts.

Southwest , NH(Zone 5b)

What a good Mom to go to so much trouble so late at night! Glad your son liked it!! Good boy!! We like his attitude! LOL

South China, ME(Zone 5a)

As long as your son liked it is all that matters Jen! Glad it all went smoothly.

How old is he, Jen?

Lots of great info, Shelly! Thanks for posting all that. Which one delivers??

central, NJ(Zone 6b)

He is great kid, 6 years went by soooo fast.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.