CLOSED: Have: Arbutus menziesii

Langley, WA(Zone 8b)

I have several mature specimens of this species already growing on my property but they're in a bit of an awkward area so I collected berries to start some more trees. I'm in the process of cleaning the seeds right now but before I actually plant them all I just wanted to check to make sure that there wasn't anyone else here looking to try some.

For those less familiar with this species and just looking to try an Arbutus - the menziesii species is probably not what you're looking for. The Arbutus menziesii has a no shortage of very exacting cultural requirements and will not survive long term in a typical cultivated garden situation. Even when given the right conditions, outside of its native range it tends to be more of a shrub rather than a large, majestic tree. That said, it is one of my absolute favorite trees and I'd love to share it with anyone interested in the species.

I don't have a ton of seeds but have enough to share and since I've been trying to get a hold of some seeds for this species for the last couple of years I know how frustratingly difficult they can be to find if you don't already have one in your backyard.

If you are looking for some seeds for this species just let me know.

~Amanda

Bluffton, SC(Zone 9a)

I would like to give it a try. I've seen them in their native range and they're a nice looking tree. Last year I was asking around to see if anyone had tried them in my part of the country and no one has. I have the humidity and I want to try it as an under story tree or even a large bush if it turns out that way. My problem is the high temps durning the summer. Who knows and I wouldn't know till I try. LOL. I have acidic soil, good amount of rain fall and high humidity. ????/

Langley, WA(Zone 8b)

When they're happy, they are unquestionably gorgeous trees and rather impressively sized with age. Since they do prefer cooler weather as an understory tree sounds like a very good idea for your area and they do experience higher temperatures at the more southerly end of their range but I imagine that in your case, some shade would be a good thing.

The acidic soil is most definitely a good thing for these guys as well and winter rainfall is also. Summer rain can be issue as is summer irrigation, which in this area at least, can very quickly result in their death. You'll definitely want to make sure that it's not planted near any garden beds or a lawn that is going to be receiving regular irrigation during the summer months and that it's in well draining soil (slopes are ideal) that receives minimal foot traffic.

I can certainly send some seeds your way. And I have been very curious as to the extent of the madrona's adaptability so I would absolutely love to hear back regarding how this species does fair in your area.

~Amanda

Bluffton, SC(Zone 9a)

H,mmmm. I have fairly sandy soil so it drians well but durning hurricane season I can get 5-10 inches of rain in a day. LOL. For that matter I can get an inch or so fast.

I want to plant the tree under some tall pines which I think would take care of any heat or sun problem. Filter light but not dark.

Good experiment. I also fool with tropical plants to see what i can get growing here too. You never know till you try. I have had a few dead in a year plants but that's part of the game for me.

Conroe, TX(Zone 9a)

Do you think this tree would grow this far south? I would love to try it if you have any extra seeds to share.
Bonnie

Langley, WA(Zone 8b)

I'm exactly the same way ;) I can't help but play around with tropicals even if they need extra help or don't grow here like they do elsewhere. And heck, every once and a while those experiments turn out to be major successes.

Bonnie, it's quite a way outside of their normal zone, but depending on your micro-climate you might at least get it to grow as a shrub. I can certainly send some seeds your way and would be very interested to know how they do for you.

~Amanda

Jackson, SC(Zone 8a)

i would like to try too as i am off the coast line and in the middle of sc. they would be under pine trees here so shade is no problem.

Langley, WA(Zone 8b)

They definitely prefer the coastal climate and salt air. They actually enjoy full sun here in their native habitat but since they aren't adapted to very hot temperatures some shade would likely be beneficial.

The mature ones growing on my property are amazingly enough growing in a fairly shady, small forest opening amongst Douglas firs and pines so even though they prefer full sun they can seemingly get along with less (though these are the only ones I've seen growing in quite so much shade).

I'd love to hear how they do for you.

~Amanda

Portland, OR

Are there any more of these left? I know that they grow down here in Oregon. Would love some, or possibly a trade?

Langley, WA(Zone 8b)

I haven't planted the extra seeds yet and would certainly love to send some your way.

I would be incredibly interested in seeds for Penstemon serrulatus (I was just about to place an order including this species) or seeds for any of your three Pacific Northwest native irises if you currently have seeds available for any of those.

~Amanda

Portland, OR

Amanda,
I only have Penstemon serrulatus plants. The seeds were mixed with others so I have to wait now until next year. I have the iris seeds though, all three. Do you want a mix of them, or more of one than another? I have more of the Oregon Iris than the others. I really like them a lot. Just let me know, and if you would like a Penstemon or two, maybe you have a plant to trade?
Ann

Langley, WA(Zone 8b)

Hello Ann,

I don't have any plants to trade at this time (my poor babies were all dug up for a move this summer and are still recovering), but thank you very much for the offer. I'll go ahead with my seed order for that species, but I have yet to find a source for those irises (I've been checking around for the Iris tenax).

If you have enough to share I would be ecstatic to try a some seeds of each. They look absolutely gorgeous in photos and I love irises in general so it doesn't get much better than native irises.

Just let me know if I have anything else that you're interested in.

~Amanda

Portland, OR

Will send you a dmail with the address. As for the Iris sources, try Silver Falls Seed Company (Silverton, OR) for the Iris tenax and keep looking at the Berry Botanical Garden site here in Portland. Each winter they release a seed list that is great. Members get their first ten packets for free too. Mine came from another botanical garden, but they aren't online. Will send some of all three.

Langley, WA(Zone 8b)

Fantastic and thank you so much for the source recommendations - I haven't before heard of either of those. I can already see that I'm going to have to place an order with the Silver Falls Seed Company...

~Amanda

Langley, WA(Zone 8b)

Ann and Corey, you seeds have been sent out and I'll be planting the rest of these so I'm out for now. Although I held enough back that if you're still wanting to try some Bonnie, just let me know - I'll keep the extras for another week or so and I of course still have the seeds saved for you, imzadi, and will send them off your way as soon as the post office starts playing nice and their envelope arrives. I hope they grow well everyone and would love to hear how they do.

Thanks,
Amanda

Post a Reply to this Thread

You must log in and subscribe to Dave's Garden to post in this thread.