Temporary plant markers

Salem, IL(Zone 5b)

One of the ladies had said she uses white plastic knives, written upon with a black
permanent marking pen, to mark plants. I found some white plastic flags, used to
mark areas to be checked by utility companies, which were perfect for the task.
They are approximately 4"x4" on an 18" plastic stem about 1/8" in diamater. They
come 50 in a bundle for about $8. You could write a lot of info by using both sides.

I used a few to mark some rebloomers for reference next year. I will update anyone
interested in how well they work over winter.

They come in different colors, coded for different utilities, but white would be best
for most applications.

Washington, IN(Zone 6a)

Where would a person get these at?

Salem, IL(Zone 5b)

I found these at Menards. I will check Lowes next time I am there. They
would be considered a commercial product so any major vendor could have
them. The utility marking flags normally use a wire stem but the plastic is
better in case they get lost in your yard.

Washington, IN(Zone 6a)

If you find any let me know where cause we have most likely have the same stores around here and that way I can go see if ours has them.
Thanks

Salem, IL(Zone 5b)

Google 'utility marking flags' and see a number of vendors selling them over the
'net. Bad thing is, the minimum order is usually 1,000 since they are geared for
commercial users. I am certain there are retailers selling them since they are
used for general purpose marking such as pet fences etc.

Northeast, LA(Zone 8a)

http://www.acehardware.com/product/index.jsp?productId=1293005
Ace has them for 1049 with free shipping but they don't say how many in a bundle. We do not have Menards in the south and it does not look like they have online shipping.

Northeast, LA(Zone 8a)

If you have a Tractor Supply near you they may have them since they offer them online for 7.99
http://www.tractorsupply.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay_10551_10001_28927_-1______?rFlag=true&cFlag=1

Lebanon, OR

If you just want to mark the iris like many commercial gardens do there are plant stakes from Macore that are 12 x 1.5" and takes a several years to get brittle and break. I write the name on them with paint pen and use them in the entire bed as well as sometimes in my own gardens if I have run out of Eon stakes

D

Santa Ynez, CA

I have been lucky enough to get my stakes through my iris society, they end up being about .26 cents each.
they are very tough and you can use them time and time again, I ended up buying a labeler, water proof labels, and it has really been great, it was about $40.00, worth every penny.

Santa Ynez, CA

here is a picture, I am sure you are familiar with them,,D

Thumbnail by makj
Lebanon, OR

that is what I use for my own gardens but they are not big enough for the commerical and the people who take a picture of the stake then the iris/daylily to see easily.

D

Santa Ynez, CA

I have also got some of the larger ones, taller and bigger plate to write on or label, those are stronger too

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.