Mulberry trees

Kingsport, TN(Zone 6b)

Can anyone suggest a good mail order source for Mulberry trees? The local nurseries just seem to carry the ones that don't get the fruit. I got a catalog in the mail and thought I would try to order from them. But after checking Daves Garden Watchdog I changed my mind lol. So I thought I would check here and see if you all could suggest some good places. I live in zone 6 Tn. I would prefer the black or red berrying kind as I am planting them for bird food. Thanks in advance for your efforts. :-)

Susan

Dublin, CA(Zone 9a)

You might try the Plant Scout feature here--vendors who are allowed to list things there have been approved by admins so you won't get the really terrible ones (although it never hurts to check the Watchdog ratings anyway just in case they've recently taken a turn for the worse) You'll find Plant Scout on the Product & Sources tab.

Northumberland, United Kingdom(Zone 9a)

Look out for Morus rubra, native in your area. Avoid Morus alba, which is an invasive weed out your way (and also has less tasty berries).

Resin

Kingsport, TN(Zone 6b)

Thanks so much for the advice ecrane and Resin. I will get right on it!

Susan

Deltaville, VA

Don't know if you are interested in seedlings or larger trees. I ordered 25 red mulberry seedlings (Morus rubra) from ArborGen at http://www.arborgen.com/forest/

They have nurseries in GA, SC, AR, TX, and AL and will ship to other states. They have an excellent selection of hardwoods, fruit trees, and wildlife trees, in addition to conifers.

The seedlings won't arrive until late December so I can't vet them but the price is good - 25 seedlings for $40. They start accepting orders in early summer so some seedlings are not available now. The customer service rep was very helpful

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.