Tree ID help

Hahira, GA(Zone 8b)

My garden buddies are on a trip home from Southern Illinois. While picnicking, they came across a small tree with bright pink or fuschia drooping blooms growing in a wooded area. It had already lost all but 1 leaf, which they said was pointed at both ends. They did not take a picture. Any idea what this might be? - one of the gal's dad lives there & did not know what it is. I know this is not a lot of info, but the fact that it is blooming now should narrow it down! Thanks for any help you can provide. Samantha

Dublin, CA(Zone 9a)

Are they 100% positive it was flowers and not a colorful seed capsule such as the one in this picture of Euonymus americana? http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/showimage/54915/ I could see that those might hang on after the leaves have dropped. I can't imagine any deciduous tree in your area would be blooming now--not enough time for it to set seed before it goes dormant for the winter.

Northumberland, United Kingdom(Zone 9a)

Agree with Ecrane, check out Euonymus berries.

The only things I can think of that are deciduous with pink flowers at this time of year are some of the Viburnums, such as Viburnum × bodnantense, which you're more likely to find in a garden, than a woodland (and not sure it would be hardy in IL, either).

Resin

Beatrice, NE(Zone 5b)

American Witch Hazel (Hamamelis virginiana) would probably still be blooming right now in southern Illinois, but it would be pretty unusual for it to have pink flowers, they're usually yellow. That said, ecrane is probably right that your friends saw the fruit of Strawberrybush, or Wahoo, or some other species of Euonymus.

Hahira, GA(Zone 8b)

Thanks for your input - they'll be home later, and said they took a small branch with the "flowers" (or whatever) - they are pretty plant savvy, though. It might be a tree that doesn't normally bloom at this time, that is having an "off" year - I've been reading that there's alot of that happening this fall! I'll let you know if I find out anything more! Samantha

Scott County, KY(Zone 5b)

If they indeed observe flowers, then it could be one of the Malus or Prunus species that are prone to "blast" flower buds in fall when rainfall returns, especially after an extended drought period (which much of this region experienced this year).

Hahira, GA(Zone 8b)

Excellent point, VV -I have not viewed the specimen yet, but will post any additional info I can glean. Samantha

(Zone 6b)

I agree with VV, it's most likely a Malus or Prunus sps. putting out a "blast" of fall flowers. I see some almost every year, with some years it being more widespread than others. Even this year here in Kansas, where we've had plentiful rainfall all year, I see some sporadic trees blooming like this right now.

Also, Viburnum × bodnantense is hardy in Southern IL(I'd say South of a line even with just North of St. Louis) and it does well here in Kansas(zone 6), but it is prone to frost damage on it's flowers from time to time here, but no problem with overall winter hardiness.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.