ORIENTAL TRANSPLANTS

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

I bought a collection from Bluestone last spring.
Boy they were small,only three leaves.
Planted them where I wanted them to grow indisturbed because they dont like being messed with.
Two of them didn't thrive, but as it was July when I noticed , I transplanted them to a spot where they could die peacefully or grow as mother nature wished.
The thrivers have gone on to put out more leaves and two of them even put out a bloom.
I was out wintersowing poppy somniferum and some Shirleys in the area where I transplanted the dying OP's and low and behold they have put up tinnney crowns.
Sorry this is so long but, will these bloom next spring? or will it take another year ,if they survive the winter.

Thumbnail by ge1836
Calgary, AB(Zone 3b)

It's normal for oriental poppies to go dormant after spring (mature plants would bloom and then go dormant) and for growth to regenerate in late summer. It's also normal for young plants to sometimes bloom in late summer. Yes, your plants should bloom next spring. Oriental poppies are extremely tough and hardy (and virtually impossible to eradicate) so chances are they will come through the winter for you.

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

Thanx Alta.
I never had any luck transplanting OP's at my old place.Finally learned about the dormant stage for transplanting, then I would end up with many root cuttings because I used a shovel to dig and slice thru roots thus making extras.
I am so thrilled with the bloom news you gave me.
Cant wait for spring.

McGregor, IA(Zone 4b)

By dormant stage, do you mean when they die down in the summer?

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

Yes ,dormant is when all the leaves turn brown and the plant dies.
There is a small window of opertunity to dig the plant for transplant before it puts up a crown for the next season.
I have to move a plant, I had forgotten how big they get.
I'll move it around August here when all the leaves have shrivlled up.I'm in Z6.

McGregor, IA(Zone 4b)

Thank you, this is good to know. I have dug small pieces and moved them around - sometimes successfully, sometimes not. Probably due to the timing.

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

While they are in their growt phase, they dont like their roots disturbed.
I just dont take chances anymore and mark where I want to transplant just before they go dorment because thats when the plant has its optimum size and I wont make an overcrowding mistake which will also make them unhappy.

Landisburg, PA(Zone 6a)

I got 2 plugs off a co-op several weeks ago and they were very small..Now I potted them up....Should I let them go now till they start to die off and go dormant before putting them in the ground????????

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

I dont really know what to tell you.
I would plant them now while theyre still small,I just have never dealt with plug plants.

McGregor, IA(Zone 4b)

I would plant them now, but make sure they are well protected by a little wire cage or something. I have lost small plants because I stepped on them, weeded them out, or lost them in the overgrown weeds. Once because I thought a baby plant was a thistle!

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

Hey those were my mistakes!!

lewiston, ID(Zone 6a)

I just accidently pulled a part of a crown out...can I put it into the ground at this time of the year???? Thank you, Deb

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

I would give anything a try.
Dony hold out any hope for it but see if it takes hold.
If there are no roots with the crown perhaps it will regrow another crown from the roots that are left.

McGregor, IA(Zone 4b)

My new OP baby Patty's Plum plants have lost their foliage. Will it come back late summer, do you think? I also planted 2 bare root OPs this spring; one has no growth showing at all, and the other had small growth starting when it was planted and has continued. I really would like to know if the plants are still alive, but suppose it wouldn't be a good idea to dig around and bother them...

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

Dont bother them unless you intend to transplant them.
The crowns will appear later this summer.

McGregor, IA(Zone 4b)

Parts of my OP are brown but some parts are not quite there yet. Are they "dormant" enough to divide, do you think?
One of my new Patty's Plum's is showing new growth/ and one of my other new OP's is about 8" tall. 2 show no signs of new growth yet...

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

I would transplant 1 of the 2 that show no signs of growth just to be safe.
If you want to transplant the one that is nearly dead and showing growth ,give it a try.
Gardening as in all things requires some risk. Since you have 3 plants you'll be left with 1.
My Patties Plum didnt make it thru the winter and never blumed .
I had it planted too close to an orange one also.

Pittsburgh, PA(Zone 5b)

OK, I have some more questions on this subject for anyone who has successfully transplanted lots of poppies.

Here is a picture of the seed pods from the poppies I need to move. I THINK they are "Oriental" poppies. A friend wants me to move them for her and I'm afraid I will kill even more than I already have. I went digging away and when I found the roots, I just didn't know what to do with them!

Some have already gone dormant and the largest are going now. HOW do I do this?

If I can't move them to their new spot at the same time I dig them up, should I leave the roots OUT for the winter? Or should I try to pot them and transplant them later?

Thumbnail by nilly
Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

Ive never tried to over winter OP's in pots.
I have always transplanted right away.

Pittsburgh, PA(Zone 5b)

Not to overwinter them in pots, but to hold them until the place I need to transplany them to is cleared for me (different person deciding that).

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

I would say dont dig until the transplant area is ready.

Pittsburgh, PA(Zone 5b)

Yeah, but she's got new plants coming for the place where they live now. Wants me to move the poppies but hasn't gotten THAT area cleared.....
Not my schedule, hers....

McGregor, IA(Zone 4b)

I'm sorry, I didn't state my question very well! I was just mentioning the new poppies I got this year, but what I am planning on transplanting is some root pieces from large clumps of Prince of Orange that I have had for years. I am waiting for all of the foliage to die down, but not all of it has died down yet. I was wondering if it is likely to be dormant enough now to transplant or if I should wait till it is all brown.

McGregor, IA(Zone 4b)

Ok, I have a bunch of roots just dug up. They are about 6-8" long and each one looks like a 1/2 to 3/4" cord with narrower strands of rope spiral-twisted together. I have never seen roots like this before. How do I plant them?

Pittsburgh, PA(Zone 5b)

My current question is the same as Caitlin's.
I have dug some of these roots up for my friend and I don't know how to get them through the winter and/or transplant them now.

Like Caitlin, I've never seen roots like this before.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.