JM Nurseries in Jersey or Philadelphia area

Newport News, VA(Zone 7b)

Hi, it's been several months since I have been hanging around here, hope everyone is doing well. I had a very busy summer on business travel and just recently my Mother-in-Law, Virginia, passed away. I would like to find a tree to plant in her memory. We are in New Jersey this weekend and I was wondering if there were something that can be recommended nearby. I'll also check out the listings, but a personal recommendation is always appreciated. We'll be in the area just North of Philadelphia in Pennsylvania on Sunday, and driving south toward Cape May on Sunday/Monday, so will be traversing much of the western part of the state.

Many thanks,

Laura

Stanford, CA(Zone 9b)

I'm so sorry that you lost your mother-in-law Laura. I hope that it's just because of good business that you've been travelling so much.

Of course I have no idea about nurseries on the east coast but just wanted to send my regards.

Thank you, Doss. Her loss was a mixed blessing as she had been fighting Alzheimer's for many years, and I know she is much happier now. We had a very good get-together yesterday with family, which she would have appreciated and are spending today and tomorrow with friends while taking the "scenic route" back home to Virginia.

Laura

Stanford, CA(Zone 9b)

Enjoy!

Holland, OH(Zone 5b)

This post may be too late or it might not be useful because of distance but I can highly recommend the nursery. My condolences on your loss.

http://www.rarefindnursery.com/

Thanks, snapple45, I didn't see this in time...but I did find out that one of our own here, Dave, of davesnursery just happened to be near where I was staying in North New Jersey, and right on the way to where we were headed yesterday afternoon to meet some friends north of the Philadelphia area in Pennsylvania. So...after I made contact and he said "come on over" (on a Sunday!), I stopped off and spent nearly an hour talking with him and getting some great advice and a view of his little trees in their various stages of propagation.

I didn't realize it, but grafting and growing Japanese Maples and other trees has been in his family for several generations and Dave is continuing the tradition. Although it's very late in the season here and most of the leaves were off or in their final stages, I could still get an idea of their color and shape. I got to see his seedlings, including that one he posted pics of this spring, with the very thin leaves starting out, which later widened into a more traditional shape and had all those subtle colorations of pink, green and white. It still had all the colors, though deepened for fall, in cream, yellow, pink and red, what a pretty little tree it will be, and those leaves in all the wonky directions! He also had a few containerized trees that his father had started. I always enjoy seeing older JMs, and these were quite lovely. Since their leaves were off, I could see all the lovely shaping of their branches.

Well, I did leave with a really neat pair of variegated dogwoods "Wolf Eye", that I'll plant in my Mother-In-Law's honor (one for me, one for my brother-in-law if he'd like it). I also left with a small JM 'Winter Gold' as a gift for our friends in the Philly Area, and a couple small babies for me to pot up. We will be back in the Spring so I hope to go by again and see the trees in their early spring glory if I am lucky...it may still be too early, but you just never know.

Dave, hope you will read this. Thanks so much for taking the time out for me and I hope to see you next year!

Laura

Milford, DE

Laura

I was a pleasure meeting you and spending time talking about the passion we both share of Japanese Maples. I always say that when a customer comes in to see the product that I have a captive audience and do not want them to leave so soon after arriving.

I believe that you will probably be able to view the leaves on most maples in the spring when returning simply because they will be in the to propagating houses and therefore will start leafing out around the end of February and early March.

Look forward to your next visit

Dave

Pepperell, MA(Zone 6a)

snapple and reference to rarefind needs to come with a warning it may be damaging to your visa.

Have ordered three times this year. The last time i thought would be three weeks went they started their 35% off sale. Until last night when i came across the catalog they "thoughtfully" included in the last delivery. Yep - ordered again today and spoke to them about timing the delivery so my soon to be understanding wife does not see the tell tale boxes in the driveway.

Sale is on until 11/30

Holland, OH(Zone 5b)

Oh wha, Why did you have to do that? I just tore out an old tree peony ( long story) and the space cries out for a JM. I was going to wait until spring...................

Pepperell, MA(Zone 6a)

need to spend $100 to get the 35% off.

Holland, OH(Zone 5b)

No Problem! I just ordered 'Beni Hime' and 'Koto Hime'. I don't know whether to thank you or not. In my case it depends on how fast I get the trees in the winter nursery before my husband sees them. I just got an Appio resin planter for my birthday and it's perfect for a JM.

http://www.qwe.co.in/product/1/453627566/Appio-Planter.html

I hope I just caused you as much trouble as you caused me!

Pepperell, MA(Zone 6a)

too funny - the planter i can pass on - you have made me investigate your choices. I had marked several jm's in their catalog and sad to say neither made it in my first pass. they are now on my list - really liked the beni hime especially.

i am going to wait on jm's for spring. I wonder if i ordered now could they hold them for me until spring?? my wife is waiting on my list of JM's as my xmass present - might have to give them a call and ask............

Holland, OH(Zone 5b)

Remember, the last day is 11/30! What's on the order you currently have coming?

Pepperell, MA(Zone 6a)

witch hazel diane, a couple caropteris sunshine blue, daphne summer ice, and cotinus grace.

i'll be adding a couple itea scarlet beauty's today.

Holland, OH(Zone 5b)

Oooo nice! I especially like the witch hazel and the itea's.

Pepperell, MA(Zone 6a)

thanks - the itea's will be used to replace the wild burning bushes that are all over my propery and surrounding woods. my wife likes them for the red foliage - she like these better after they grow up.

did not have success with RF letting me buy now and shp later and still get the discount. the good nes is my wife has agreed to getting them for me now as my x-mass present - how do you spell beni hime? have to pick out 3 others - Yeah!!

Pepperell, MA(Zone 6a)

so here is the list being ordered - beni hime, beni schichihenge, higasayama, and okushimo.

Any comments or concerns with these trees?

Holland, OH(Zone 5b)

Nope! Only envy! I like the shrub form on the Beni schichihenge. The Higasayama sounds gorgeous but of the three I wish I could get the Okushimo. I hadn't come across that one before and it sounds like a real find. Alas, I cant add anymore. I'm pushing it as it is. Have fun!

Pepperell, MA(Zone 6a)

thx snapple - i have a beni schichihenge now - it is about 10" tall. it looked ridiculous in the yard. i moved it to the growing area i have (ie stick farm) and decided not to wait three years for it to grow up. i like it too and i'll be happy to have one in front and in back down the raod.

Hey Dave!

I can't wait to get my dogwoods planted, I think I have just the spot for them between two of my existing JMs, and I'll add a third tree in there. They'll get part sun, part shade depending on the time of day. Eventually, it will make a large bed with some hostas thrown in as the trees and shrubs get large enough to provide shade for them. I had planned to use some grasses there, but I that area has become a bit of a memory garden for me and I'm putting some special things there.

I am glad to hear that things will be leafed out in the spring. Our friend's wedding is the 7th of March, so hopefully the weather will be decent.

Oh yes, can you refresh my memory on 'Verkade's Winter Gold'? I wanted to pass info on size and care on to them so that they can put it in a good spot. It will be potted up for the first few years, most likely.

Laura

Milford, DE

Make sure you leave plenty of room for the Wolf Eye. They will become approx. 20'. That will be a spectacular tree.

Treat the Verkades Winter Gold the same way you would treat any maple. It can grown in full sun. I will email you pictures of the plant.

See you in the Spring.

Dave

Milford, DE

Laura

The pics. of Verkades Winter Gold are of the original tree. The tree was founded in the mid 80's and is approx. 20' tall. I would estimate it to be approx. 15' wide. As you can see it has a nice round crown to it. Any other questions don't hesitate to ask.

Dave

Wow, thanks for the pics, AND for tempting me with more of your Jacus Potus seedling, can't wait to see that in the spring too.

Hmmm, I'll have to look at the placement of the Dogwoods then. I have space for them, it's just a matter of figuring out how to orient them with my other two Maples on the street side of the yard. I may still give one to my brother-in-law.

Laura

Pepperell, MA(Zone 6a)

Dave - did not realize WE got that big - i will need to expand my bed and move it back a bit.

any comments on the jm's i have coming?

Milford, DE

The only thing I can see is the need for partial shade or an open shade. I am really not partial to Okushimo. I have seen to many reversions in my time. I would go to Kurui jushi if at all possible. See atached photo

Dave

Thumbnail by davesnursery
Pepperell, MA(Zone 6a)

Dave - thx - shade is not a problem, well actually it is, i've been cutting down trees for more sun.

Holland, OH(Zone 5b)

wha - My JM's came today - early. They were spectacular. They're potted and plunged and watered and mulched and fenced off from rabbits. Now the long wait to see them leaf out next spring begins. I'm sure yours were great too. RareFind is one teriffic nursery.

Pepperell, MA(Zone 6a)

don't have mine yet - next week i think - glad yours arrived safe and sound. yes rf is dependable and has high quality plants - can be a bit expensive if not on sale - i was interested in some others and when i compare prices and sizes they were pretty pricey even with the sale.

Holland, OH(Zone 5b)

I guess I'm comparing to my local nurserys. They offer much smaller sizes are even higher prices. If you can imagime that. Forest Farm and Greer Gardens are two other sources that I like.

Pepperell, MA(Zone 6a)

me too - although forest farm freight charges are highway robbery - hey did i just make a joke?

Holland, OH(Zone 5b)

HaHa! The plants are also sometimes a little smaller than stated, but I can't really complain.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.