Heidi Chronicles: Time Marches On

Charleston, SC(Zone 9a)

This is the ongoing story of Heidi and friends, raccoons who frequent my wildlife buffet. It's that slow time of year in Heidi Land right now. The kits are all nearly grown, and everyone is getting ready for winter.

The prior thread is here: http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/914544/
The original thread that started it all: http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/603944

The photo below, taken a few weeks ago, is of Blondie, Heidi's daughter from the 07 litter. Until just recently, Blondie and her 2 kits were in the yard and at the buffet virtually every night. Blondie would never come to me but would always stand and stare at me when she wanted a treat. Much like my dog, she always seemed to think she could 'beam' her thoughts over to me and I would know what she wanted. If I failed to toss her a treat after a reasonable time, she would reposition herself somewhere closer and in my line of sight and repeat the staring process. Unlike some of the others, Blondie wasn't very picky when it came to treats. She would eat just about any decent treat, and it seemed she was never, ever full. The last few times I saw her I thought she almost looked like she might be carrying a 2nd litter, but given her appetite and persistent begging, I guess she is probably just pleasingly plump. Oh, almost forgot to mention, the look she is giving us says, "Could you p-lease get the [flashing] lights and camera out of my face? Can't you see I'm trying to enjoy my 99th marshmallow of the evening?"

Thumbnail by DreamOfSpring
Leesburg, FL(Zone 9b)

Very precious.

Charleston, SC(Zone 9a)

Thanks, Terese!

Hendersonville, NC(Zone 7a)

KyWoods, necropsies and rabies tests are difficult if not impossible once significant decomposition sets in. So if the little bodies were already stinky when you buried them, I'd skip the very unpleasant experience of exhuming them for testing. Just keep the idea in mind if (heaven forbid) you lose another kit at some future point, and are able to have it tested/necropsied very promptly. I'm hoping hard that this will be the last loss to your little tribe.

Cheryl, it's great to hear how Dennis has matured. She did have one horrible adolescence, so it's awesome to hear that she grew out of it to learn manners and even to defend her kits.

It's actually possible that Blondie was pregnant when you saw her last; I've always been surprised that the coons in your area breed only once a year, given how warm your climate is. Up in VA, with a much shorter warm season, mature coons routinely gave birth to two litters a year. Not that this is necessarily a good thing; it certainly helps increase the population, which may or may not be a blessing with natural habitat disappearing and people becoming less tolerant of wildlife "invading" their home ground. But the kits must be weaned and ousted much much sooner than you see with your clan, to allow the mother to properly prepare for and nurture the second litter. The second litter often stays with the mother over the winter, so they have the much-needed opportunity to learn lots of skills from her after weaning; but the first litter gets short shrift, and kit mortality is higher among the first litter kits, no surprise.

You know, KyWoods, I wonder if that's what you're seeing with the kits who've died. If two litters a year are routine in your area, you might be seeing kits from the first litter who hadn't had time to learn enough, and are failing to survive now that mom is busy with a new litter and has kicked them out. It would depend on how old the kits were who died, and what the typical breeding rate for raccoons is in your area; unfortunately I don't have the knowledge to answer those questions, but it's a thought.

Seale, AL(Zone 8b)

A good thought it is too. two litters. Think this is the first I remember hearing about two in a year. May have been discussed and lost in a file folder in my brain for the moment.

Cheryl. Aww glad ya got to cuddle with dennis for awhile.

Highland Heights, KY(Zone 6a)

Thanks for the advice, spartacusaby, kinda what I thought, too. Hopefully there will be no more casualties, and I have been keeping an eye out, just in case, so I can get testing done asap. Oddly, the last little body was half-in, half-out of the pool, like it didn't have the strength to climb all the way out. Sad.

Charleston, SC(Zone 9a)

KyWoods,

Ruth's last email got me wondering if the kits were on their own, maybe they were killed by an unscrupulous, adult raccoon. I'm reminded of the time when Cruella went after poor, little Timba so savagely that she appeared to injure his throat. Luckily, Heidi was there to intercede on his behalf. Even then he struggled for a time to catch his breath, much like a person who had been hit in the throat. Just a thought. Such a thing could also explain why the one kit was 1/2 in the pool. My bunch frequently quibble over pool access, so that might have been the impetus for a Cruella-type to beat up on the little guy. Just a thought.

Leesburg, FL(Zone 9b)

**Shields eyes **

oh how I hate to read about critter death....

(Audrey) Dyersburg, TN(Zone 7a)

Sounds like someone might be putting out poison. Be careful with your pets.

Omg, Doe, I didn't even think of that. But we live in the middle of the woods, where there are numerous racoons, so that wouldn't be real smart...but then, we do have some 'not real smart' folks out here. I didn't see any signs of trauma on the poor little bodies--I checked.

I did see some kitten kibble barfed up, so I switched them from the 'Special Kitty' brand at Walmart back to their original Purina Kitten Chow, in case Special Kitty had melamine or something in it...at least I know Purina is made here in this country.

Somebody please change the subject for me...sorry to bring us down!

Charleston, SC(Zone 9a)

In the interest of time, last night I left out one thing. Last night I took out a little jar of fig preserves that someone included in a recent package for the raccoons. Early in the evening when the 1st couple of kits ventured out, I wanted to give them some of it, but at the time they were over on the other side of the feeding area and showed no sign of coming near me. I spread a spoonful or so of the preserves on one side of a stale hamburger bun, folded it, and tossed it over near them. Soon the 2 kits were arguing over ownership of the bread and of the area where it had landed as they scrambled to lick the grass, the dirt, and every plant in the area, apparently trying to retrieve every yummy speck of the sweet, gooey treat.

Soon the kits were over in front of me looking for more and enthusiastically lapping preserves off of the additional bread pieces I tossed to them. By the time Heidi and her kits finally showed up, all that remained was the almost empty jar, a small jar, probably 4oz or so, too small to pose a threat to the raccoons. Despite my concerns about possibly scaring them away by tossing such a relatively heavy object, lobbed the little jar a few feet to one side of them. The instant the glass jar made contact with the ground, Heidi's kits ran for cover. Heidi, on the other hand, headed straight for the jar which just happened to land beside an empty frosting can (that someone forgot to remove from the area). Ignoring the jar, Heidi sniffed the frosting can instead. Her fervor in doing so was palpable. Neither a language barrier nor species gap could obscure the extent to which she had hoped for the frosting can to be the item I'd tossed or her disappointment in realizing the truth. Unlike the kits earlier, on this day at least, Heidi wasn't interested in fig preserves. For another few seconds she lingered over the empty frosting can as though reluctant to accept the truth. And then with the pragmatic, stiff upper lip that so defines her, Heidi gave up on the dream of frosting and went back to her dish to continue her dinner.

Seeing that display, I knew instantly that tonight's treat would certainly have to include frosting. I try not to serve frosting too often. I'd hate to see the raccoons grow tired of this favorite treat. But Heidi's love of frosting seems as unflappable as her love of watermelon, a fruit she looked forward to with excitement day after day throughout the entire summer (just like me). So, tonight we had vanilla frosting sandwiches - again.

I wrapped a scant spoonful of frosting in a 1/2 bread slice and, with the arm I've trained for 3 years now, threw the treat some 15ft to drop it right into the small dish from which Heidi was eating. Dropped it right in front of her face, and I did this in the dark. Not bad for someone who was once unable to deliver a pitch within 4ft of the intended target. Normally, you would expect a wild raccoon to run from such an 'assault', but I've been throwing food at Heidi for years now. As the sandwich landed in her bowl, Heidi calmly began to lap at the sweet goo spilling out of it, and then just as I'd expected, as soon as she finished the 'sample', Heidi headed straight for me to ask for more. Frosting is the only treat that brings out this side of Heidi.

As Heidi approached, I slathered a huge glob of frosting on a bread square and held it out to her. Gently, she took the frosted bread from my hand as she had done several time before, but this time there was a change. This time she didn't fret over how to do it. This time she didn't make several aborted attempts, didn't alternate repeatedly between attempts to reach it with her mouth and then her hands. This time she simply and calmly opened her mouth and took the treat. We had made another small but not so insignificant step forward.

While I was feeding frosting wiches to Heidi, several kits surrounded me and joined in the festivities. I was sitting there in the kind of not so lady like but, oh, so relaxed position one adopts in the backyard at night when society and humanity are a temporary distant memory. Legs agape, but wearing slacks mind you, I sat shoveling frosting onto tiny bread squares and passing them out to the semi-circle of raccoons surrounding me. When Heidi ran out of frosting before I could get back to her, this time, my legs no longer forming a barrier in front of me, she walked right up to and virtually under me in pursuit of her next sandwich. I was sitting forward on the bench, and she walked so close up under my extended body that when I turned back around I could no longer see the end of her face. This was surely the closest that Heidi had ever dared to get to me. I made her another sandwich. She stepped back a bit. I held it out to her, but did not extend my arm, inviting her to come close again to retrieve the sandwich, and so she did. We repeated this a few more times before a noise from the street sent her scurrying to the forest. She was becoming ever more comfortable around me. We were making tiny steps, but we were getting there little by little.

Charleston, SC(Zone 9a)

KyWoods,

I fed several large bags of Special Kitty to my group in the summer. Doe's idea does sound quite plausible, unfortunately. I am so sorry about all of this.

Leesburg, FL(Zone 9b)

that is so truly amazing... how a totally wild creature has come to trust you so. well, you are handing out frosting!!

3 yrs ago... would you even have thought.......

TeeHee... Heidi has trained you well.

I haven't thrown out the Special Kitty yet...maybe if I mix in a few pieces here and there. The Purina does smell better, so I wonder if it tastes better....nope, I ain't tastin' it, lol.

Charleston, SC(Zone 9a)

I had barely gotten the top off the frosting can tonight and started passing out those sandwiches when I looked up to see Snowball's cute little white face staring at me from where he stood beside the pool. It has been a while since I've seen any of the opossums, and I was happy to see him. He was so adorable standing there watching as though trying to figure out how to get in on the action.

I tried to toss him a frosting wich - I've learned that he does have a well defined sweet tooth - but the motion sent him scurrying for cover in the brush. Minutes later I looked up again to see Snowball once again standing and looking longingly at us as I passed out sandwiches, but this time he had reappeared a good 3 ft closer. That he was trying to figure out how to get some frosting was now all too clear - and more than a little cute.

Again I tried to toss him a sandwich. Again he ran into the brush. But, not to worry, as our little Snowball was to reappear once more on schedule and this time only a few feet to one side of me. Again I tossed him a sandwich, and again he ran for the brush, but this time not without 1st grabbing that sandwich to take with him for a snack!

Snowball emerged a few more times to eat kibble. Shortly afterward, Heidi and the kits left. I sat there for a moment or two after they left. A little white blur took shape amidst the brush beside the pool. Slowly, Snowball emerged from the brush and made his way across the yard to grab one of those well licked bread slices Heidi and the kits had left in their wake and disappear back into the brush with his catch. Yep, Snowball has a sweet tooth, too. I slathered frosting on a final slice of bread and tossed it to the edge of the brush behind him before heading inside for the night.

I capped the mostly empty frosting can and tucked it in my bag for Heidi. It will make a wonderful surprise for her another night, tomorrow perhaps.

Charleston, SC(Zone 9a)

Nope, Terese,

Every thing that has happened these last 3 yrs is well beyond my imagination, and I certainly never thought that Heidi would ever take food from my hand much less come up to me so freely - almost, not quite, but almost like one of the kits.

Who knows, in another couple of years Heidi may be sleeping at the foot of the bed with Widget - and me fighting both of them for the cover. LOL

Bartlesville, OK(Zone 6a)

throw it OUT!!! Special Kitty ISN'T SPECIAL!

=^..^=

Charleston, SC(Zone 9a)

KyWoods,

From watching them so closely - and especially given Heidi's tendency to throw a mini-tantrum by throwing her dish around when she doesn't like the food - there is no doubt in my mind that they prefer Purina by a large margin, but they did eat the Special Kitty. It was not their least favorite brand. They dislike Publix cat food and Jim Dandy dog food even more.

I served Special Kitty, several large bags back to back, back when I had a yard overflowing with nursing moms and tiny kits. They all ate lots of it, and none showed any sign of problems.

Seale, AL(Zone 8b)

Lo. Heidi and her giant sweet tooth. : ) Glad to here snowball is stil around. Wonder if the backyard smells ws getting to her and she said hey I remember that smell. let me make a little detour tonight LOL

Charleston, SC(Zone 9a)

Susan,

We cross-posted earlier. Just wanted to let you know that my comment RE the cat food was not in response to yours which I only saw after I had posted. I don't imagine that Special Kitty is the best choice, but I didn't see any sign that it was causing the kind of problem that KyWoods is seeing. I bought 2 bags back in summer when I was trying to cut costs, back when the huge crowd of raccoons was blowing through a 20lb bag of cat food in days. Upon realizing that the WalMart price for Purina is virtually the same as that for Special Kitty, I never bought it again. Actually, sometimes Purina costs less because they often have it packaged in the 20lb bag for the same price as the 18lb bag of Special Kitty.

Anyhow, just wanted to let you know that I posted before I saw your post.

Charleston, SC(Zone 9a)

starlight,

I was happy to see Snowball as I haven't seen him/her in ages. I suspect that she drops by and/or hangs around to eat the left overs when the raccoons leave. She probably gets to eat the left over bread after the raccoons lick the frosting off, so she knows about the frosting. Tonight she sneaked out of the brush and showed herself soon after I got out the frosting. I suspect that she was nearby, possibly over in the brush area and could not resist the lure of the yummy treat.

Hey, thanks to the raccoons, you now have a new skill you can list on your resume: can accurately throw frosting sandwiches across the yard in the dark. That should help to open lots of possibilities... (not making light of the situation, you know, just trying to add a bit of humor).

Seale, AL(Zone 8b)

Hahahahhaha and don't forget egg rolling/throwing and ability to withstand them behind your back ninja moves. (chuckle chuckle)

Good one, starlight: lobbing raw eggs is a darn tough skill, and should have great value in the workplace.

Charleston, SC(Zone 9a)

: )

Charleston, SC(Zone 9a)

Check this out: http://www.boston.com/news/odd/articles/2008/10/23/raccoon_unfazed_by_cops_taser_during_wild_chase/

Per one source, the officer is quoted as saying the taser should have been sufficient to stop a linebacker on PCP.

Charleston, SC(Zone 9a)

Did I mention my theory that raccoons are really savvy extra-terrestrials here to observe the inhabitants of our planet?

Leesburg, FL(Zone 9b)

>>you now have a new skill you can list on your resume: can accurately throw frosting sandwiches across the yard in the dark.

AND - right into a food dish as the subject is eating....

that's gotta count for something too.

Charleston, SC(Zone 9a)

Might score me considerable recognition in applying for zoo position as feeder of such animals as: lion, tiger, bear, rhino, etc. Could save on company overhead for OTJ injury coverage.

Not to toot my own horn here, but did I mention it was a small, roughly 8"D dish with Heidi's nose buried in one end?

Leesburg, FL(Zone 9b)

ROFL.

Charleston, SC(Zone 9a)

Trying to figure how to apply that to my chosen career of software engineering. How does this sound: "Can throw laptop across a crowded room or conference table and hit annoying co-worker without risk of injury to other personnel or equipment"? Good, huh? That should open doors for sure.

ROFL, yep, skills that are truly unique, too!
My cousin sent me this video of one of their employees feeding his pet racoon. You can hear him smacking as he eats, lol: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z5dGZoCzXgc

Putnam County, IN(Zone 5b)

LOL.... check this one out...a couple of these are huge!! http://ie.youtube.com/watch?v=rDGSWga7Yvo&NR=1

Leesburg, FL(Zone 9b)

Nanny -- i do think in more northern climates, they are much bigger, than say Cheryl's -- they dont need the extra body fat to get them thru the long winters.

ones in my area are quite large too.

I will have to check that one out, and a lot of the others there, too! What could be better than racoon videos? lol

Leesburg, FL(Zone 9b)

watching them live on your back patio and playing with in the pool ... well, tossing kibble so they can fish....

Cheryl, how about this: "Can accurately throw laptop across a crowded table or conference room, on target and without risk of injury to other personnel or equipment. Provides needed reality check in meetings that have strayed off topic."

Love the outdoor video of the feeding crowd. Those must be northern coons: the coats are really thick and heavy!

As for the Boston raider, I think the cop must have hit a matted chunk of fur with the taser. Tasers are not supposed to stick to the target's body, so it must have become tangled in a mat; that would also have protected the raccoon from the stun. Actually, that was a profoundly stupid thing for the cop to do; it could have killed an animal as small as a raccoon. Not to mention that when he/she found himself cornered at the door, of course the raccoon would turn to seek an alternative escape route; sad that the cop interpreted this as threatening behavior. And yes, Cheryl, the thought does occur that they are actually alien observers of far superior intelligence and culture...

Columbia, MO(Zone 5b)

I am with you, the police just love using this "new toy" of theirs. I have read of instances where it has been abused. There was one where they used it on a new father holding his infant causing the infant to be dropped to the floor. Another happend where I live recently causing a young man to drop from an overpass and miss hitting a major highway by inches.

OMG, horrible about the misuse of tasing. Were the baby and the man who fell off the bridge ok? And they tased a poor little racoon in Boston?! I missed that story. Good thing we all don't live in Boston, or....

Columbia, MO(Zone 5b)

I think the baby was bruised but OK. The man that fell of the bridge suffered some injuries and was hospitalized. I was just talking to hubby about it and there was an instance in a nearby town where the individual died and it was ruled as a homicide because it was decided that the heart attack suffered as a result was the direct cause of the person's death.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.