linden trees

Redford, MI

Do you recommend lindens as a city tree? What has been your experience with them?

Northumberland, United Kingdom(Zone 9a)

Some have a strong tendency to send out sprouts at the base (particularly if grafted on Tilia × europaea rootstocks) which can be a nuisance.

Some (notably Tilia × europaea) are prone to very high aphid populations, which can lead to problems with honeydew (aphid pee) under the trees.

A few (notably Tilia tomentosa) produce nectar which is narcotic to some bee species, resulting in sick bees lying on the ground beneath when the trees are in flower - not nice for people walking with open sandals, etc.

Those difficulties apart, they can be very good street trees, and are widely used in some areas (e.g. famously 'Unter den Linden' in Berlin). The species I've seen used to best effect is Tilia platyphyllos.

Resin

Waterman, IL(Zone 5a)

Tilia americana 'Redmond' is a beautiful, large leafed Linden that is hardy to zone 3. It offers some winter interest with it's red twiglets and buds. It's a good street tree. There is one growing in the State Park near our home. It's really a beauty.

Beatrice, NE(Zone 5b)

Lindens are capable of casting fairly deep shade, so much so that it is often difficult to grow grass beneath them.

Scott County, KY(Zone 5b)

I agree with all the information provided above so far. Tilia as a genus of shade trees are generally tolerant of many city conditions. Tilia cordata is very well regarded for putting up with growing in the small cutouts in concrete sidewalks in cities. Other species may not do so well there, but certainly there are many examples of these trees used in city parks and residential properties where there is clearer and better root runs.

A reason not to use Tilia cordata: it has quite a dense branching pattern, which makes it a favorite for winter flocking of some of the less desirable urban bird species (starlings, etc.). You will generate quite the attention when there are hundreds or thousands of these winged friends all perched there together, with the ensuing ground conditions changing to a real "whitewash". Don't plan to sit on a bench there too long...

Tilia as a genus is quite well-liked by Japanese beetles. Where there are significant populations, you will have lace-leafed trees in mid-summer (late June/July around here). That doesn't kill them, but they look pretty bad during peak season.

Most lindens get quite nice butter yellow fall color. Basswood (Tilia americana) is the primary native North American species, and is native to MI, I think. It is beloved by bees, so that is reason enough to plant it.

Danville, IN

I agree that the little leaf linden is to be avoided where there is even a small population of Japanese beetles. Here in the Indianapolis area, they are just as VibunumValley said, completely lace-leafed by midsummer. You could use a systemic, but there are other trees to use such as ginko which is quite tolerant of pollution and with no pest problems.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.