I Need Some Manure

Lawrenceville, GA(Zone 7b)

Anyone know of a source that will deliver?

BB

Dacula, GA(Zone 7b)

Check the Market bulletin. I know most of them say free for pickup, but I remember one that didn't. Maybe you could be real persuasive with them....

Thanks

Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA(Zone 7b)

I am well connected in the poo dept. if you can pick up. Horse, chicken or cow. Name your poo.
L

GA, GA(Zone 7b)

Laurel,
Is it free poo? If so I'd be interested too in getting some this winter for the veggie bed.

Thanks!

I have several friends who own poo factories. Name your poo preference and I'll check it out. One is a GA DGer here who does not post often. I'll tap at her.

GA, GA(Zone 7b)

Cow's best but horse would be good too. I can't handle the chicken. When I walk within 10 feet of the Black Hen at Lowe's, the smell kills me. Thanks Laurel!

Sorry to hijack your post BB!

I'll take anything Laurel

And I can pickup

Turnerville, GA(Zone 7a)

How much manure do you need?

You were one of my hot leads Sue and Cheryl was another. DH said you were spreading the poo love for next year's garden, so I was going to check out Cheryl's pile. lol You two have gourmet poo.
Laurel

Enough to fill the back of my surburban

BB

Turnerville, GA(Zone 7a)

Are you looking for fresh manure? I live between Clarkesville and Clayton and could save you enough in one day to fill the back of your Suburban, but it wouldn't be composted...it would be fresh manure and urine soaked pelleted bedding that breaks down quickly....
I normally spread the manure everyday on our fields, so I don't have a manure "pile". I would have it in muck buckets and you would need to transfer it into your containers.

You can get free horse poo at the Atlanta police stables in Grant Park too. They load.
The only caveat is that the mounted unit is in jeopardy because of budget cuts to the City's safety workers. The guys said they may be next....

Marietta, GA(Zone 7b)

Hi G, I've googled and can't find much more info about this poo source..?? Can you help? I'm interested. need to ammend lots of beds before spring :)

Susan

I found a source in Lawrenceville-Grayson area

Marietta, GA(Zone 7b)

Good for you! Thats a huge hike for me :( I had one up in cherokee co. Need to call and find out if they are still doing it.

I really love the stuff!

I'm not a manure expert, but please be aware of the suggestions and regulations regarding spreading "hot" manure on gardens that involve edible products. I'm referring to the safety of the produce grown in organic waste that is not properly composted. There needs to be a better understanding of the risks and benefits. I'm by no means an expert here, but can offer some limited, personal advice and perhaps a few sources, or references. I bet FarmerDill can weigh in here with some very expert advice.

Maypop:

I plan on composting it in place in some of my bedsand letting it rot over the winter. Some I will also incorporate some into my compost pile.

Make any salmon lately?

BB

We smoked a side of salmon for Thanksgiving. That is tradition here. We always have vegetarian guests who will eat fish. I make a homemade honey mustard that is dynamite and then do additions to turn the honey mustard into a salad dressing afterwards.

Regarding the compost...there are regulations concerning the use of fresh manures for food gardens and how long they are composted in commercially sold produce. Perhaps an inquiry to Farmerdill will send you to the right resources. Otherwise, I'd check with the Ag. Dept.. Camphor bacteria apparently has a long life in manure and sallmonella, which is a big concern, is possibly not as much a problem. I think the recommended compost time is at least six months, but don't hold me to it and post what you find. I'd like to learn more too.
Laurel

OK

Off to Farmerdill

BB

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.