Interested in growing tropical house plant from seed.

Gretna, LA

Hi I enjoy all aspects of gardening especially tropical houseplants In the last couple of months I have attempted to start plans from seed. I would like to hear from who has attemped to grow these types of plants from seeds. Also I wold like to know of place where I can get seeds in small quanties , I have checked with seed man but he sells his seeds in larger quanties then I need. Thanks Teresa

Teresa many people here will happily send you seeds for postage; I think you might also want to specify which types of plants you are interested in. And have you checked out the Marketplace? There are quite a few seed sellers.

Hillsborough , NC(Zone 7a)

Aloha Topcat, and welcome. What kinds of seed have you been trying? Is there something specific in the way of tropical seed that you are looking for?

Baytown, TX(Zone 9a)

I grew a plumeria tree from seed. It is about three yrs old. I started two Bird of Paradise from seed last year. I also have some papaya seedlings that are about 6" tall and need repottting.

I've also had good luck with cuttings from various hibiscus, brugmansias, Hawaiian scheffelera, and pineapple tops. One of my pineapple plants even produced a small-med. size pineapple in 3 years.

I use Miracle grow potting soil. Hope this helps!

Lexington, SC(Zone 8a)

I like to grow EE's from seed. My recent "adventure" with Colocasia Gigantea is posted in the Aroids forum (link below). I started with one and now will have over 400 in a single season - never thought all the seeds would actually grow.

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/907174/

Being somewhat of an impatient gardener, seeds usually aren't my way of growing things. But the EE's have been fun.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.