Use of floor-lamp with CFL grow-lights?

Mid-Cape, MA(Zone 7a)

Hello!
This is not technically a "greenhouse question" but I am asking this question because you greenhouse folks know from lumens, etc. I'm a complete newbie.
I've got a 3-ft. container bougainvilla I'd love to keep going inside this winter, not to mention a Meyer lemon tree. I am looking into buying a floor lamp with multiple flexible necks with lamps with CFL grow lights to supplement my available sunlight inside from an east-facing window.
I've found some floor lamps that say they can accommodate 60-watt bulbs--which translates into 15-watt CFL grow-lights. One of the lamps can handle 5 separate lamps; another can use 3 lamps.
Will this work?
Thanks in advance, and if this is the wrong forum to ask this question, I apologize.

--Emily (humbly)

Palestine, TX(Zone 8b)

Hi Emily,

I don't know if I can really help you but I use a three lamp floor lamp with florescent bulbs to get light for my seedlings and cuttings and young plants. They are really thriving and I don't have the heat from the grow lights. I've been told that florescents are fine for plants to get the extra hours of light that they need in the winter. I hope this helps.

Jeanne

Mid-Cape, MA(Zone 7a)

Jeanne, thanks for answering! I'm glad to hear of your success with your lighting system.
I ended up buying a three-light floor lamp from Linens' n Things going-out-of-business sale; very cheap!
I've equipped it with three CFL 15-watt florescent "day light" bulbs (equivalent to three60-watt traditional bulbs). They are supposed to last nine years, so I considered them inexpensive at the price. So far, my bougainvilla seems fine with the lights.
The lamp casts a very bright light and I'm thinking of sitting in front of it and soaking up "the rays" to avoid any Seasonal Affective Disorder!
Hope my bougainvilla does the same.
Anyway, I appreciate your advice. Thanks!

Palestine, TX(Zone 8b)

See you did just fine. I use the same wattage of florescent. It does cast a nice light. Your bogie will probably think it's in Florida :)

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.