Rhizome rot? Grubs?

Melfa, VA(Zone 8a)

I received some iris rhizomes the other day. Some had squishy parts which I cut off. Some had what looked like black tunnels in them which I cut out until the rhizomes were clear and a few of those I threw out. Others had what looked like big chew out places on the outside and I cut these out to make sure there was nothing under those. Would you go ahead and plant these now? Should these be treated with something other than Clorox and what strength of Clorox? I don't have this problem with my irises because I poison the ground they are in thoroughly.
What kinds of things cause these issues?
Deb

Chattanooga, TN(Zone 7b)

here's my 3 cents:

after cutting off the 'squishy' parts, soak in 10% clorox or sprinkle with garden sulfur or comet with bleach. the let your rhizomes air dry in a shady location for a day or two and plant.
i would plant them now, you can also store them until the spring, the rhizomes don't care. you'll be more likely to get a bloom out of them next year if you plant them now. if planted in the spring, expect blooms about 4 to 6 weeks later than normal for the variety,if at all.

the parts that look like they have chewed on are fine as long as they have scarred over - like a dry skin.
some of the 'black tunnels' might have been the sites of previous roots, as long as it isn't 'squishy' or smells bad, you can just leave it.

Rancho Cucamonga, CA

Deb,
Please tell me that the ones I sent you weren't rotted. I am such a worry wort!

Melfa, VA(Zone 8a)

Nope, they were not yours! I am NOT complaining about the irises, I was tickled to death to receive them! I just wanted to make sure how to "fix" them. I really haven't done much with irises for many years until this year, due to moving around, not enough light where I lived, etc. Even the ones I have had for a number of years, my dad bought for me in the 70's and grew them for me at my parent's home until I was going to be able to keep them more permanently! Still have some of those original irises!! It has been so long and at my very elderly age of 55, I do not remember a lot about tending for them other than the poisons I use to keep the nasties out!!!
LOL!!!
Deb
and Thanks!!!!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.