Cottage Garden Seed Swap & Chat #18

Brownstown, IN(Zone 5b)

So according to the rules I have used up 2 of my edits, right.

Now I am practicing, Can I erase what I just wrote and have a do over.?
Now that is 3 edits. Sorry kids but I did not know how it was done.
Veronica

This message was edited Nov 17, 2008 7:29 PM

Brownstown, IN(Zone 5b)

How many did you all say are allowed per day?
I still think I will not do this as ( the swap) I am not organized enough to do it.
If I see that you want something I have and no one has it I will butt in. Is that allowed?
Do you think I like seeing my name on this thread? LOL

Leesburg, FL(Zone 9b)

Veronica -- i do think they [admin] has changed the edit limit to 10 from 5 .... so you should be OK.

Leesburg, FL(Zone 9b)

If you wanted to join in to donate excess seeds... that is pretty much what i'm doing... I'm picking up a few new seeds of plants i'd like to have... but i'm getting rid of a lot. Quite a bit of it is going to the storm victims who lost their gardens this past summer.

So, if you wanted, you can list what you have a lot of, or what you'd like to get rid of -- folks will request that seed [the hardest part is keeping track of who asked for what.... some of us just take notes] then Mid-Dec everything gets mailed to Star ... then a few weeks later you will get the seeds that you requested in the mail.... just in time for Winter Sowing.

Browns Mills, NJ(Zone 6b)

Yep, now 3. At 7:22 PM tomarrow, you'll get one back. at 7:23, you'll get another, and then you'll get the last at 7:29. You have 7 edits left before then. But.... we try not to use them all up before that time and that proves difficult sometimes :-) Try to bulk up your edits and do them at a certain time ...like every few hours, Or when you are adding more seeds to your list. Most importantly... Have a blast! I know I am. It's not as intimidating as it looks.

Jamaica Plain, MA(Zone 6a)

Does anyone know if my lavender (silvery-bluish leaves - looks like hybrid "Sawyers" in plantfiles) will reproduce from seed? Don't think I've found any self-starters over the years, but I just collected a small amount of seed.

's-Gravenhage, Netherlands(Zone 8b)

You could try, perennial. They're not hardy though, you'll have to start them indoors!

However, it's a hybrid. There's no saying what the babies will look like.....

Seale, AL(Zone 8b)

Veronica. They right, you get ten edits a day on the seed swap list.

Once ya try, it gets easier. Mistakes are allowed, this a relaxing free for all and very laid back and relaxed even it does run 9 miles a minute.

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

Yes, just jump in and have fun! We're a relaxed group, despite the pace, as Starlight said. I figure my "requests" are more like wish list suggestions... if I don't end up with every seed I asked for, that's quite all right, as I'm sure my "piggy trough" will still be overflowing! So even if things get a bit confused here and there, it will all work out, and we will all end up with wonderful seeds from the biggest group swap/trade I've ever been in!

So Tuink, do you think I should offer the lavender seeds anyway - with footnotes - or not bother? (don't have room for another bushy lavender in my yard).

You can always offer!

And don't forget to take cuttings from your bush, it may not survive winter! And if it does, you can always make someone happy with the baby-plants!

Tuink, my bush has been alive and happy for several years now. Definitely hardy here!

Lucky you! Mine always get too wet or too dry. I gave up trying!

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

Tuink, try giving lavender excellent drainage (well draining soil, and a raised bed can be helpful also) and then mulching with a couple inches of sand or pea gravel... the heat/light that reflects up into the plant can help keep the foliage dry.

There are some pretty photos as well as a few tips in my recent "Lessons from a lavender farm" article... :-)

Tuink, do you want to try again with my seeds? Maybe they're hardier.

GA, GA(Zone 7b)

Uhhggg! I was just outside a little while ago collecting seeds and covering some plants from frost when someone's obnoxious dog almost knocked me over and ran over, then sat on the plants I was covering. It ripped my row cover in several places, broke big chunks off my porterweed, including ripening seed stalks! :( , and who knows what else damage. It was running around me in circles trying to jump on me. I'm pretty short so he could have easily knocked me over. I couldn't get it to go away, so I decided to go inside and the stupid dog beat me to the door and was heading in too. I had to stomp and scream to get him to move a few feet away so I could duck inside quickly. Man, I wish people would keep their dogs in their own yard especially if they are letting them be that ill behaved. My nerves are totally rattled now!

I was hoping to add some more porterweed to the trade but it looks like doggie put an end to that! :(

Seale, AL(Zone 8b)

LOl. Forget who it was that had their prcious itty get in on the swap and mix up all the seed that she had seperated.

Poor Danita!

I'm not much of a dog-person myself......

Perennial,
I would like to try them, who knows I may be lucky this time. My garden has a sandy soil, being so close to the sea, but sometimes we get soooo much rain!

Winchester, KY(Zone 6a)

Tuink, I had the toughest time getting Lavender to live. Once in full sun and moist clay-loam soil, which they hated, another in sandy soil that seemed to stay fairly moist- not happy there either. Now I'm in an area with good, dark soil, but with quite a bit of clay, and on a hill where its dryer, and have some thriving Lavender plants (on their 3rd year). Here's the odd part. I didn't plant them, a deceased friend who lived here before me did. She planted them in what I would have thought was a poor spot, with quite a bit of dappled shade. Its a very dry spot because of all the tree roots. I dare not move them since I've had the killing touch with them in the past, -I'm so glad you mentioned cuttings, need to get more going for some horribly dry places in the front yard and see how they tolerate hot evening sun. I think they need to be dry to be happy; seems odd to me, I think of Lavender growing in the UK (English Lavender) where I assumed it was moist? I had it in my mind they would tolerate dry conditions, not that they necessarily required them, but now....?

Yes, they do need drought to survive here. And that's where the problem lies. We only have a dry spell in spring (when a little rain is needed) and then it gets wet for the rest of the year (when we really don't want it)......

Winchester, KY(Zone 6a)

Perhaps in a container, under cover? Mine indicate they can take some shade.

I can always try.....

Tuink, the lavender is yours. I 've never thought of it as a hard to grow plant as it seems to thrive around here (zone 6a). This year we had tons more rain than usual, and it didn't appear to be bothered at all, though half my irises rotted from the rain. I do have it in a raised bed (my entire teeny front yard is a raised bed), and it only gets about half a day of sun beginning early morning.

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

Lavender doesn't seem to mind rain if you can give it really, really excellent drainage. It is very picky when it comes to having "wet feet." A container with a light potting mix (add some perlite, or sand if you don't mind the weight) might be a good solution where winter hardiness isn't an issue (containers freeze faster than in-ground).

Leesburg, FL(Zone 9b)

new thread.... #19 .... http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/925478/

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.