Cottage Garden Seed Swap & Chat #18

Winchester, KY(Zone 6a)

Ok, we're attempting to keep the more chatty stuff here, aren't we? I didn't know if Q&A should be there, so came here.

Anyhow, did any of you grow the English Wallflower from last year's swap? At some point Suzy found some info on it that indicated they were unlikely to succeed in hot summer areas. Mine have done very well, and have stood up to drought as well as heat. They're strong, bushy plants now, so since the iffy part is over I expect to see blooms! Wondering what experiences any of you have had with them.

Leesburg, FL(Zone 9b)

Hmmmm, i have a "Wallflower" but i dont think they are English ... mine are Bi-annual. and while they are gorgeous.. i'm hoping they come back next year. and Mine did also stand up to dry conditions.

Leesburg, FL(Zone 9b)

Ahhhh, Gemini --- i jsut saw your wants list.... it's the Siberian ... but no seeds. *sigh*
but HECK are they pretty.

Winchester, KY(Zone 6a)

I'm keeping my fingers crossed for an abundance of seed from these in spring!

Greenville, IN(Zone 6a)

Neal, I grew the wallflower but didn't get it in the ground till just last week so mine were still babies, I hear they won't do well in our hot humidity so I planted mine where they will get late afternoon sun and hope for the best, I hear they are suppose to die back here in the middle of the summer may be or right after here? I've always been curious about this plant and can't wait to see the blooms, I just hope it makes it! I've seen pictures of the orange one and really want that one.

I planted two year old seedlings of SI irises in the spring I'm hoping to see blooms this year, I collected a few of a yellow one at my neighbors when I run across them I can put them in your baggie for you if you want them :) I don't think they are much on bloom but I love the tall sleek foliage on them when they blow in the wind. They are easy to germinate, just plant them ¼” and WS, don’t remember what time of year they come up but mine all germinated.

Mount Laurel, NJ(Zone 7a)

tcs, your marigolds remind me of what I bought for my mom this season called "naughty marietta"

Leesburg, FL(Zone 9b)

LOL ... it's ironic... i have a cousin [who i haven't seen in decades... but she was quite "naughty" as a child... dont think she got any better either.......

I'll google it.

Orrville, OH(Zone 5b)

My English wallflower are biennial but I get some re-seeding so they act like perennials. I've had best luck sowing them in August or September, germination is good then and you get flowers from mature plants the next year. I've also winter sowed successfully but they don't bloom 'til the next year.

I missed the seeds this year, so I don't have any to trade.

mao

i sent in the english wallflower seed..they are tough..i think i have the same plants..from four years ago. i think they can stand some sun..mine are in part shade. i like them because they are among the first to flower in the spring and yes they take awhile to bloom and the foliage is pretty while you are waiting.

ill have more seed if anyone wants some..ill post them later with the list

ive been under the weather but am feeling better today

pam sue

Springfield, MA(Zone 6a)

Just marking my spot ^_^

Winchester, KY(Zone 6a)

Are commercial seeds left over from this spring ok?

Leesburg, FL(Zone 9b)

I would think so... they were last time. I even think it states so... but lemme check.

Leesburg, FL(Zone 9b)

Neal,

i would say YES, it does seem there is no specification of "WHAT" seeds are allowed or disallowed.
In the First Piggy swap, they were allowed, and where it states for Newbies... if they dont have seed to send, to get bulk packaged seeds.

Leesburg, FL(Zone 9b)

OH -- and i see you asked for that Purple Amaranth.

i got that last year.... what a great looking plant. I love mine. well, it's toast now... but it was so cool looking... as long as i have room for one, i will always have it. Would make a great 'center piece' for a garden. I may try that look next year.

Thumbnail by tcs1366
Winchester, KY(Zone 6a)

Thanks, thats what it looked like, kept rereading to make sure. I figure any seed purchased now is probably packed for '08 anyway, as were these. I got some bulk seed of a few things, and there's no way I'll even use them all next spring. Sure don't want to hold on to them till they lose viability.

Winchester, KY(Zone 6a)

Oh, that is nice! Prettier than the Plantfiles pic! Love the way the yellow POPS next to it. That would look nice in my pink bed too!

Leesburg, FL(Zone 9b)

I thought I put that in plantfiles... lemme check,

if not... i have it as the image in my Haves List.

Greenville, IN(Zone 6a)

tcs, love that combinationt too, it's really nice! I thought it was two plants on the Amaranth but that's one :) I like the foliage on it too really sets off the color of the bloom, nice going!

Leesburg, FL(Zone 9b)

OH yea... thats one LARGE plant. it did look nice with those zinnias, and BES too.

I actually just pulled it out yesterday. **sniff**

Seale, AL(Zone 8b)

Whew. Got home early almost two hours ago and tookme that ogn to get the threads so far all recorded. Man Suzie was awesome and quick at it, afraid ya all have to have plug along like a turtle.

Sure Neal. I got oodles of commercial seed.

PamSue can't check the list at the moment to se eif yoru name on it off hand, but after this mornign semi brain dead. Are you joining in the piggy swap too, it up on th esee dtrading forum . If and when ya decide to join . Glad to se e ya!!!! Hoep ya get to feelign better.

Jamaica Plain, MA(Zone 6a)

Am I supposed to put requests on this thread or the other one?

LeBug, I would love to have some candylily seeds. Prefer orange or red or yellow (not purple) or mixed.

Seale, AL(Zone 8b)

Perennial. All reguests go on the other one. This one just for chit chat and showing our stuff and askign questions. This kind alike the kick bakc and relax area. LOL

Leesburg, FL(Zone 9b)

the other ones....

many of us have our requests and HAVES in the same post... for me, it's just easier that way to keep track of where all "my stuff" is ...

but this one should be for chat, and haves and wants in the Piggy Thread.

Leesburg, FL(Zone 9b)

ROFL -- kick back and relax... who the heck can do that wit the Piggy Swap .... Uggg,g that can get so intense ... certainly can't miss the good stuff....

Leesburg, FL(Zone 9b)

Look'it this pretty lil thing that is actually still blooming even in this cold crap weather.

You'd think Bachelor Buttons would be so boring... but i just love them. I had such a variety of color this year [but sadly hardly any seeds]
but this one was my absolute favorite.

Thumbnail by tcs1366
Winchester, KY(Zone 6a)

Terese, I've got tons of seed from blue like yours, but didn't think to offer them. Do you need more? Hmmm...and there may have been pink and white in there too, but I know they're mostly blue.

Leesburg, FL(Zone 9b)

Sure Neal -- that would be great.

I have pinks and lavenders too -- no white, but like i said... there are not many seeds at all, and now with the cold - i think they are toast ... the seeds anyways.

Thanks starlight - that'll make things easier. And Thanks so much for hosting this piggy swap too - really glad I found it and I'm oinking away!

Seale, AL(Zone 8b)

Man that batchelor button pretty!!!!!!!!!!! Do they smell?

Leesburg, FL(Zone 9b)

no --- i dont think so. and yes... that is the true color... I didnt think the camera would 'catch' it... but it did... nice deep blue.

Wish I knew you guys were so fond of bachelor's buttons. They kept seeding themselves like weeds in my community garden plot, so I finally pulled them all out (I don't have a lot of room in either my yard or community garden). If someone reminds me next year early enough, I may be able to get some seeds from someone else's plot.

Springfield, IL(Zone 5b)

Speaking of batchelor's buttons, I have a few packs on my list it was a mix, but mostly blue with some pink and possible a few white ones..I figured they were common, but that maybe a newbie or a someone who lost their garden in a flood/wind might want them...

Sadly, we had a windstorm early in the year that knocked most of mine down...but the darn things wouldn't quit blooming, so I hadn't the heart to yank them all..I let them make seeds, THEN I yanked them, hehe.

Oh artemiss, you are a cad - or cad-ess as the case may be! It took me more than a few years of dealing with them and offering them to everyone in sight before I became heartless enough to yank them. They ARE very pretty, but I prefer better manners in my plants. Got rid of my disObedient plants too.

Flora, IN(Zone 5a)

Just a question , somewhere in the swap thread I read ''spread sheet'' or something like it to send with our seeds . I hope hand written is OK I am extremely computer challenged , I promise to write neatly.^_^
Cinda

Leesburg, FL(Zone 9b)

It does not necessarily have to be in a spread sheet.

here is a copy of part of mine, but you will get the gist of it.

there are some particulars that you should/need to have, and it's explained in the 'rules'

take a peek here and you'll get the idea.

HTH

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/fp.php?pid=5759002

Flora, IN(Zone 5a)

Thanks , I read the rules then later I saw spread sheet in a post and was afraid I could not figure how to do that
Thanks
Cinda

Leesburg, FL(Zone 9b)

Regarding Bach.Buttons..... currently the 2 beds i have them in now, they are newer beds ... places i had them last year... they are not there. SO, i do not know if they heavily reseed and will get over populated. Possibly time will tell, but so far, i love the colors. aside from the pale pink, lavender and pale blue ... i had that deep blue and a nice deep pink... have not seen a white yet though.

OH -- i do know that in the spring - early summer... the bunnies LOVE bachelor button foliage... as it was always mowed down.

Seale, AL(Zone 8b)

Gardengus. tsc right, don't have to be a spread sheet. I computer challeneged too. Big time!!!!! That why I had toask evrybody else for help toget the seed swap up. Couldn't have done it without the help. : )

I always think it funny, that folsk think what they have is nothign but common and afraid to offer it. There so many things that common for one area, but a rarity or unusal for anothe rperson and their area.

Winchester, KY(Zone 6a)

I saved seed from Shasta Daisy, 'Crazy Daisy'. I don't know if it will come true, or even if they're sterile, but I noticed someone had Shastas down on their want list. Anyone know if these seed are appropriate to offer?

Leesburg, FL(Zone 9b)

I'd think so, gemini

I grew them one year, 2007, planted them out and i think they died. so 2008, i took all the remaining seeds ... dumped them in some soil... they germinated -- and now - i'm praying them make it thru this winter.

I'd love to have some daisies.... meaning -- i hope these survive.

so - yes, i'd think someone may want your "Crazy Daisy"
what color are they, btw?

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.