aphid control with a vacuum ?

PNW, WA(Zone 8a)

A few years ago my husband told me about a program he had seen on TV. The man was in the Netherlands and had beautiful tomatoes. He said he vacuumed the bugs off his tomato plants. Well, I didn't give it much thought because most vacuums I have used are to powerful and would hurt the plant. This winter I have moved several Brugmansia and Plumerias in the house and am wintering them over in the warm house under florescent lights. I have aphids and they are getting worse by the day. I remembered that I had bought a small specialty vacuum for small beads and thought what the heck. It's worth a shot. Granted you have to try and hit every leaf but I figure if I do it every other day or so for awhile I may get the bulk of them and maybe prevent a few more. All the little green buggers in picture are the aphids I got off one plant that wasn't even that badly infested. Has anyone else done something like this long term and if so what was your results. I don't use poisons, especially in the house so this was my solution.

The plumaria's have a tendency towards spider mite which I did find tonight and I vacuumed the leaves. No idea if it will help with those nasty monsters.

Any input would be great.

Thanks.

Thumbnail by robinz
Northeast, WA(Zone 5a)

Sounds weird, but great if it works, and it looks like it does. Where did you get the vacuum and how much was it?

Jeanette

Edited to add:

A couple of years ago I was at a yard sale where the woman had had a small business but was selling out and I found a battery run vacuum for spiders. The point was that it was about 24 inches long, a tube, and it would suck them up so you didn't have to get close to them, and then there were electric wires in there that would electrocute them. On the order of the bug/mosquito zappers.

Since I hate spiders of any kind in the house, I bought it for a dollar. I figured I wouldn't be out much if it didn't work. It WORKED!! I got bees, bugs, and spiders. After I bought it, and it was brand new, in the box, I saw them advertized for $80. Can you believe it?

Now I can't find it. I had forgotten all about it until I read Robin's post. I am going to have to go thru my entire house now.

This message was edited Nov 9, 2008 10:50 PM

PNW, WA(Zone 8a)

I got it at a local bead shop and I think it was around 20 dollars.

Fredericksburg, TX(Zone 8a)

That's a really interesting idea. DD's hobby is jewelry making and has thousands of beads and stones. This could be useful for both of us. I'm going to ask her about this.

I have some plumeria seedlings overwintering in our guest room because the gh is too cold. But I haven't seen any bugs. I only watered them once a month so far, but since the days are getting a little longer now, finally, I plan on watering twice a month.

Stevensville, MT(Zone 4b)

Lady-bugs eat aphids!! Dish soap kills spider mites!!

Northeast, WA(Zone 5a)

This is the wrong time of year for lady bugs to be out. They are hibernating. The aphids are on the plants in the house. So far she doesn't have the spider mites. BUT, don't count on the soap.

Stevensville, MT(Zone 4b)

oops! I should have read closer....so sorry

This message was edited Jan 18, 2009 2:55 PM

(Rosie) Belturbet, Ireland

LOL Robinz this is just too funny and made me smile. I must give it a go. At least it will keep my neighbours amused.

Northeast, WA(Zone 5a)

Rose, let us know how the neighbors took to it. lol, I think Robin discovered that it was faster to use the hose to get rid of the aphids. Which it really is if you can do it this time of year. I would have icicles if I tried it.

Northeast, WA(Zone 5a)

Rose, let us know how the neighbors took to it. lol, I think Robin discovered that it was faster to use the hose to get rid of the aphids. Which it really is if you can do it this time of year. I would have icicles if I tried it.

Just remember to not, NOT, use your regular vacuum.

No offence anyone. It just seemed so amusing. I think though what comes across is that fact that you can use just about anything to control pests if you set your mind to it. It beats using any other form of control whether oganic or non organic.Come on, everybody has a vacuum cleaner. I'll use my car vacuum to beat the pests LOL.

Northeast, WA(Zone 5a)

Some people really do not use sprays at all. Whether they are pesticides, herbicides, or????? Do you remember walking through the aisles of Lowes, HD, thru the fertilizers etc. and just about gagging? I will not do it any more. If I want something like that I will go to a smaller store even if it does cost more.

And, if you were a beader and had that small vacuum handy, have been fighting the aphids, I can absolutely see doing that. Maybe you just haven't been there.

Elmira, NY(Zone 6a)

I have been having the worst time with aphids on my mandrakes under lights. This happened last year, too. I have tried Neem and Safers. Neem works some, but I have to spray it on every other day almost. The plants don't seem to mind, but it is messy and it stinks. I just ordered one of these craft vacs from Herrschners for $15 including shipping. It would be great to vacuum up those suckers. Thanks for the idea, robinz.

Northeast, WA(Zone 5a)

Please let us know how it does. Am seriously watching this and waiting for your answer.

Jeanette

Elmira, NY(Zone 6a)

I surely will. I tried it with my regular vacuum, but it ripped the leaves.

Northeast, WA(Zone 5a)

Oh goodness don't do that. I imagine the weather is still probably cold in NY, but when it warms up, if possible take your plants outside and hose those aphids off with a really strong stream of water. You would have to do this once a week for several weeks to be sure you kept them off.

Vacuum will be interesting.

What is a Mandrake?

Jeanette

Elmira, NY(Zone 6a)

Mandrakes are the plants that scream when you uproot them. They scream so loud that if you hear them, you'll die. So you have to wear earmuffs.

It's a noisy job, but someone's gotta do it.

Elmira, NY(Zone 6a)

I really do raise mandrakes, all kidding aside.

Northeast, WA(Zone 5a)

If you say so. Post a picture. Jeanette

Elmira, NY(Zone 6a)

Here is one of the four shelves on my DIY light shelf. It is all mandrakes. If you look closely, you can probably see the herds of aphids.

This message was edited Feb 14, 2009 3:36 PM

Thumbnail by paracelsus

Wow! that's impressive. I can't be any colder than you para, maybe I should grow mandrakes too.

Northeast, WA(Zone 5a)

Are they tropicals? Do they bloom? Do you put them outside in the summer? They are pretty good size aren't they? No, I couldn't see the aphids, so I do hope the vacuum works for you. Let us know.

edited to add:

I just went in to the plant files to look at them and only one looked anything like what you have but all it had was one little tiny leaf. There were several in there without any pictures at all, and the rest didn't even come close.

You are going to have to go in and add yours. And, if they bloom, be sure to post one blooming.

Jeanette

This message was edited Feb 14, 2009 3:42 PM

Elmira, NY(Zone 6a)

They aren't tropicals, but they don't like it as cold as it gets here. I have to winter them over inside. They can grow outside in a maritime or Mediterranean climate. They are pretty good size--they're in what are supposed to be 5 gallon pots. It's a small 5 gallons.

I had some blooming two years ago:

Thumbnail by paracelsus
Northeast, WA(Zone 5a)

Very nice. Keep us posted on the aphid control. Jeanette

Santa Cruz, CA(Zone 9b)

how do organic comercial farmers control them? some crops like broccoli seem to have them but not others. My over wintering chard is getting them. I think it's really the ants that are making it worse. they carry them from plant to plant i heard. can you believe those little saboteurs!

Indianapolis, IN(Zone 4b)

I don't know if anyone will think it pertinent to this thread, but in the winter I release green lacewing larvae in my sun room. They devour the aphids that infest my plants while they're over-wintering. Two releases (one in early December & another in late February) keep the nasty aphids in check until it's warm enough to move my potted plants onto my patio.

Sure beats spraying poisons inside!

Northeast, WA(Zone 5a)

PP, I agree, that is a really good way to go. But, not everyone has a sun room. Plus, my sister who has a greenhouse and keeps it going all winter could not get anyone, not one supplier, to send her the eggs for the lacewings or ladybugs, or any other predator 3 years ago. She finally gave up. They told her it was the wrong time of year to send them.

So you see what works for one does not necessarily work for another. Now my daughter that tried the vacuum on the aphids is in zone 8 so she was able to try something else much sooner than Para can. Finally, the weather got warm enough that she could take the plants outside and use a strong stream of water to knock them off. However, another thing, Para has her plants in large pots where it would be pretty difficult to move them in and out very often.

My daughter did it ever few days. She is now down to once a week and probably doesn't need to that often, however does not want to take a chance on their getting a toehold again.

As for commercial farmers, I do believe they use pesticides. Most people who have plants in their homes do not have that option.

I have tried one recipe on spider mites more than a week ago, and I still cannot find any more yet. Here it is:

Well, for some reason it won't let me attach it. I will have to try it a different way. Jeanette

Jeanette

Northeast, WA(Zone 5a)

Ok, I think I can just paste it here. Jeanette

Al Tapia’s spray

1 pint rubbing alcohol
1 pint very hot water
1 tsp pure, cold-pressed neem oil
3-4 drops Murphy's oil soap

Add neem & soap to hot water & shake well. Add alcohol. Spritz plants thoroughly, covering all surfaces - especially underside of leaves & leaf axils. Be sure to shake vigorously as you use the spritzer to keep the neem mixed with the solution. Works great - the neem oil renders all the insects it contacts unable to complete metamorphosis or reproduce, while the alcohol provides reasonable knock-down for current generations.

Looks like this took.

Indianapolis, IN(Zone 4b)

The vendor from whom I buy the green lacewing larvae: http://naturescontrol.com

Northeast, WA(Zone 5a)

When does the vendor send them to you? Maybe because you are closer to them and they aren't afraid to take a chance on them freezing enroute?

Jeanette

Elmira, NY(Zone 6a)

Well, I got the little vacuum and tried it out on my mandrakes. It does suck up the aphids, but they also come flying out the exhaust and I managed to breathe in a bunch of them, lol. However, the real problems are that it takes too long and that it apparently damaged the leaves, as they are now turning yellow and dying. Good thing I only did this on one plant.

Northeast, WA(Zone 5a)

Wow, I wonder why you had all those problems? Wasn't there a bag or something to catch them? That is weird. And aren't there maybe different powers on it? Like, my little floor vacuum has different powers. What would happen if you sucked up beads, which it is meant for, isn't it? Would the beads come flying out the back end? It doesn't sound like it is working right.

Can't you try it on something that isn't a plant? Or maybe a weed?? LOL, this time of year the snow is covering the weeds too?

I wouldn't discount it without trying to work with it a bit.

Jeanette

Elmira, NY(Zone 6a)

Hi, Jnette,
There is a little plastic cup, and that's where most of the aphids went. But some were small enough to get sucked in around the edges of the filter and into the motor area and then were shot out the exhaust. There aren't any different powers on it. It could work really well on something with maybe more leathery leaves. I think the mandrake leaves, which are a lot like chard leaves, were too delicate for it, even though it does not create a huge amount of suction and didn't tear any of the leaves.

Harry

Northeast, WA(Zone 5a)

Well shoot Harry, I am glad that you at least didn't put out a tremendous amount of money on it. Just was hoping it would take care of your problem.

Jeanette

Harry, try that recipe for spray that I posted above. It should work. And it isn't anything that would hurt spraying in the house.

This message was edited Mar 3, 2009 3:16 PM

Elmira, NY(Zone 6a)

I will try it, Jnette. I have been using just neem mixed with warm water about once a week, which does help. Once it warms up enough to get the plants outside, I think I will have a better chance of getting rid of the aphids. Part of the problem is that the plants are all crowded together on the light shelves.

Northeast, WA(Zone 5a)

That is a huge problem. That causes the worst problems. Overcrowding. Boy, that is aphid heaven. But, you will find that the alcohol in the recipe kills them right away, but the neem works on eggs. But, you can't use it once and think you have taken care of the problem. You will soon have the whole thing back again.

Jeanette

Santa Cruz, CA(Zone 9b)

What is neem?

Northeast, WA(Zone 5a)

It's a horticultural oil. Normally used mixed with water etc. for a pesticide spray. In the propagation forum under pughbear7 threads Dave has a very good explanation of it.

Jeanette

Santa Cruz, CA(Zone 9b)

thanks

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.