NEW CLEMATIS FROM CHALK HILL CLEMATIS

Wauseon, OH(Zone 5a)

I just planted my Clematis ( Lady Bird Johnson ) that I got from Chalk Hill yesterday Nov. 7 and it did have only a stem on it which came off but it also had a sprout coming off the root system which looked very good allot of roots. should I mulch it? What else should I do to make it strong in the Spring now?

I had a 5 gal. pale of will routed Horse Manure that I mixed into the soil before planting it.

Does anyone have this Clematis ( Lady Bird Johnson ) ? How did it do for you? Did you have any trouble with it that I should look for next Spring?

Delaware, OH

lady bird johnson is a texensis variety. this means it does better in full sun and also that it can be prone to powdery mildew.
sounds like you got a healthy root. i wouldn't add more mulch till the season really goes dormant, maybe after thanksgiving add a top dressing of shredded leaves or similar. if you really get dry (doubtful viewing recent weather in our zone) i would water it up until the beginning of december. all the new clems i put in mid oct were watered regularily, up to a few days ago...and then we had heavy rain. i probably won't water again unless it should be warm and very dry (doubtful). so keep an eye on that.
your texensis varieties always do better with full sun and not too crowded at the base with other plants so there is air flow. try and water from the ground, not sprinkle to keep on the offense as far as powdery mildew. bayer three in one rose spray or similar which has a fungicide is a good thing to use to thru the growing and blooming season.
hope you have good success with the clem....sounds like you are off to a good start.

Wauseon, OH(Zone 5a)

niobe My clem will only get the sun for about 6 hours since it is on the East side of my house, will this hurt it in any way?

Also you said use Bayer Tree, can I ask you what this is? I know Bayer has allot if stiff, but I haven't hard of this one.

Do you have Lady Bird Johnson?

My clem is about 4 feet away from my house hopefully it will have enough air citation to take care of the mildew.

Ellicott City, MD(Zone 7a)

Texensis, "Lady Bird Johnson" is a strong and beautiful Clematis, which I have been growing for a couple of years. Mine is sited on the West side of my house (which gets full sun all day) and grows up my mail box post. I've never had any problem with mildew on this particular variety. Mine is growing amongst English Boxwood and Mums. It doesn't have a lot of room, but it doesn't seem to mind it.

Here is a link so you can read more about Bayer Advanced 3-in-1 spray. http://www.bayeradvanced.com/product/3-in-1-Insect-Disease-and-Mite-Control/ready-to-spray.html

Delaware, OH

oops.meant "three in one spray" shirley above sent a link out.
6 hours of sun may be enough. if it does not flourish you can evaluate that and think about the location. most clems have a good tolerance for some shade, but it can effect the number of blooms more than anything if it does not get enough. i do not have lady bird j, so shirleys input is better. similar ones i grow are sir trevor lawrence, gravetye beauty, princess diana, duchess of albany. i would like a lady bird for sure.
let us know how your does.....if it not full sun, just take the offense with mildew, using the spray and watering from the ground.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.