Sunlight through her petals.

Thumbnail by Sallysblooms
South, TX

I keep trying to post this one.

Thumbnail by Sallysblooms
Montgomery, TX(Zone 9a)

MY!

Central, AL(Zone 7b)

Paph. makes a mysterious beauty! Congrats!

Shelburne Falls, MA(Zone 5a)

Nice one. Do you have a name for your paph?

Poughkeepsie, NY(Zone 6a)

A beauty!

South, TX

Here is what the tag says.

Pah. Supersuk 'Eureka' AM/AOS x Paph. Raisin PIF 'Hsinying' x SIB

Yup, I have one myself! Got it about 3-4 years ago. Very common. She seems to have taken this year off from blooming though!

Southern Dutchess Co, NY(Zone 5b)

I have one as well, and it hasn't shown any signs of blooming either. If I remember correctly, it was a winter bloomer, so it may not do anything for a couple of months yet.

Greensboro, NC(Zone 8a)

those are beaUtiful plants/blooms. i have an anhinga ( i think) came without a label.

Thumbnail by dabneyrose
Central, AL(Zone 7b)

Oooh! I love that one! I used to have a lime green paph. and it was a jewel!

Land of OZ, CT(Zone 6a)

Sally--Beautiful pic! I think paphs are my favorite orchids(today anyway--LOL!) My 2 bloomed last spring...for weeks! Just kept blooming, one flower at a time! I see you have yours in a container in moss. Do you grow in moss, or use it just for decorative purposes? I've had bad luck with moss in growing medium. Dabney Rose--yours is a beauty also!

South, TX

I bought it in the moss and it is HAPPY! I have two others in small bark.

Greensboro, NC(Zone 8a)

Sally, i wondered about the moss too (i'm really a newbie with these creatures) and it looks like there may be no holes in the bottom of the glass cube? nice set up.
dab

South, TX

No holes, again, I bought it this way. I am VERY careful. I will not change anything since it is blooming so beautifully. I will later though. I do know that it is sure thrilled with the way it is living though!

Greensboro, NC(Zone 8a)

ok....as someone who is not confident that i am using the best medium, i am wondering why you would change something that is working so well. sounds like something i want to try! thanks again!

I grow Oncs. and my one Paph in Long fibered spag moss. They seem to LOVE it. My Dens I grow in bark as they seems to like it.

You try things, experiment and see what works best. What works for ME may not work for YOU based on watering habits!

South, TX

Yes, It is good to experiment. I may let him stay in his moss. I just keep hearing it it bad on the forum.. Sure is happy. I love the color.

Shelburne Falls, MA(Zone 5a)

My experience with sphagnum is that the plants are very happy at first (and many seedlings are started this way) and all of a sudden the roots rot and the plant dies. So beware! Now I always repot my plants into another medium.

Greensboro, NC(Zone 8a)

more help...this is great!

I am also not a big fan of using strictly sphagnum for any of the orchids (except as a cushion with a mounted one), but will mix some in with bark, horticultural charcoal and sponge rock for some of mine. My paphs do really well with a mixture of soilless potting mix amended with fine fir bark and perlite. I've never had a problem. You have to know your watering style to decide what works best for you. I think sphagnum stays wet too long and if it dries out, is hard to re-wet. If packed too tightly, it will rot those roots, or not get enough water to them when dry. If you like the looks of it, why not try using it as a top dressing?

Remember, we all have different opinions of what works for each US, and in many cases, it came as trial and error. - Lynn

Land of OZ, CT(Zone 6a)

I think this has been a good discussion--It was helpful for me^_^

Danville, IN

I was so surprised and delighted when my paph, which had only one bloom last summer, decided to send up two this winter! Isn't is grand?! It developed two new shoots this fall, one on each side of the original plant. I hope this continues!

Thumbnail by HoosierGreen

Very nice! I love when mine put out multiple inflorescences, and yours are so pretty!

South, TX

I had one do that several years ago. That is so beautiful and FUN!

Fair Lawn, NJ(Zone 6b)

Looks terrific!! Good growing, HGreen!

St. John's, NL(Zone 5b)

Great display Hoosier!

Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA(Zone 7b)

Really beautiful, Hoosier. You apparently have the Paph. touch.
Laurel

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.