Molly Price's iris book

Dauphin, PA

I've just found another copy of this well-known iris reference book at a yard sale. I will happily send it by Media Mail at no charge to the first person who DM's me (include mailing address please). Once I get a response I'll post again, so you know it's taken. Here's my terms: you have to do something nice for someone to pay it forward, okay? (I don't need to know what it is or anything.)

katie

Dauphin, PA

Book's been taken! If I come across any more copies I'll post again.

katie

Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

Can anyone tell me what is special about this book? I have never heard of it. Maybe I need to get a copy.

South Hamilton, MA

Was a very good source about irises--has been replaced by The
Gardener's Iris Book by William Shears.

Melfa, VA(Zone 8a)

I know him and will never buy anything with his name on it...sorry ...just I know him

South Hamilton, MA

Great book, though--sometimes concentrate on the works.

Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

I already have the Shears book. Does the Molly Price book cover anything he doesn't? -- anything major, of course. I notice that there are quite a few copies available second hand.

Lebanon, OR

I prefer Shearer and World of Iris for knowledge

D

Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

Thanks, Dee. Then I won't bother hunting down the Molly Price one. One thing I have enough of is books -- unless they have something I don't already have.

Salem, IL(Zone 5b)

Just as a casual observation, 4 out of 5 questions of irises asked on this
forum could be answered in Shear's book. One of the better $17.95's I have
spent on irises. The questions about JI's dying in winter--its not the temp, its
the drying. The rhizomes/roots will die if they lose their moisture. "...under
no conditions should the roots become dry" (Shear).

Lebanon, OR

WOI is quite techinal but Shearers is easier to read, so if you have either or both, that is all I would have.

I am like you Pat, too much of too many things. Just finished making Xmas tree napkins now on to my yo yo santa and a hot pink butterfly jacket

D

Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

"Just finished making Xmas tree napkins now on to my yo yo santa and a hot pink butterfly jacket"

Dee, you never cease to amaze me. Just planted acres of iris and daylilies and now you are making Christmas tree napkins, a yo yo Santa ( can't even guess what that is) and a hot pink butterfly jacket ( Sounds good but not easy. At least I know what it is.)

Hannibal, NY(Zone 6a)

Speaking of books, I also find Irises by Claire Austin fabulous. Pricey, but it would make a good Christmas present. Beautiful, beautiful pictures.

South Hamilton, MA

Austin book has a few mistakes on the pictures & one horrible one the flower is virused. When you see the many photographs, pricey is understood. Interesting to see which cultivars grow in England. The EU has made it more difficult to import plants & the British irisarians are STEAMED!

Hannibal, NY(Zone 6a)

Which pictures are mistakes, IrisMA? If you know right off the top of your head. I assume they are medians.

I have found the cultural information on the beardless, and their history in the Austin book excellent. It's where I first learned of the Shimizu pseudatas.

Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

Imports have become more difficult in England and from what Barry Blyth says, Australia as well. So strict as to make it not possible to import plants such as iris.
I also understand from what Barry Blyth says that such changes are proposed for the US. This is a complicated issue because there are many species that need to be kept out, but banning almost everything or making it sit in quarantine until it dies isn't the solution. This is something we should all be looking into, even in the US.
Don't know a thing about the Clair Austin book but would like to know what the errors are -- I might want it anyhow for the pictures.

Hannibal, NY(Zone 6a)

Betty, you would really love the book.There are 1100 photographs. But the cultivation advice is just great for all forms of irises. It was published in 2005, so many of the pictures are of irises after 2000. Just a great book. It's 32.97 at Amazon. I think it's well, well worth it.

Most of the irises in it are from the US breeders, and of course Blyth. I found some siberians I really loved, and asked LaurieF about them, and she said they were from an English breeder. Darn it.

South Hamilton, MA

I can't remember the mistakes but will have to search. they certainly are not beardless. & the mistakes ar eonly a couple. It is a great book overall, may beat other listings. I think the virus bothers me because they don't see it in England that often so it doesn't register. The funny one is that AIS was founded 1927--it was incorporated then--founded 1920, before BIS. I don't mean to downgrade the book.

Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

I will look into this book. I don't think the mistakes you mention will have any impact on me whatsoever.

South Hamilton, MA

For anyone thinking of the Molly Price book. the information is good, but not as wide ranging. The pictures in the hardcover would appeal to those who grow historics. Varieties mentioned are those grown at the time of publication. The paperback has no pictures, just one of 'Chinese Coral' on the cover.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.