Soon saying goodbye to our Blake

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

I promised no sad news on the previous thread, http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/918237/, so it's with a heavy heart that I post about Blake's latest test results and the decision we'll soon have to make.

We were hopeful that his kidney function had improved, because with each day of therapy he was feeling just a little better, a little stronger, a little more alert and responsive, a little more like, well, like Blake. But the numbers that came back tonight didn't support that hope. There wasn't a drastic change from last Friday, but instead of the significant drop that would mean his kidneys had restarted the numbers were just a bit higher. That's not compatible with his being able to continue much longer, and we don't want to draw out the inevitable by trying to keep him on IV fluids for another week.

We will go in tomorrow morning and get the fluid drawn out from his abdomen so he'll be more comfortable. Even if we decide tomorrow is the day to say goodbye, I'd rather have him feel better for even a little while. He tolerates the procedure well and doesn't find it scary, and he clearly gets relief right away, even while it's being done. The fluid has been accumulating pretty quickly, so we're not sure at this point if we'll have the weekend with him (our clinic is closed Saturday afternoon and all day Sunday) or if we'll take him in on Saturday. We've been trying all along to make the best decisions for him, so we won't suddenly get selfish about it now.

We had already talked some things over during those uncertain hours midday Tuesday, so we knew we'd be on the same page about not waiting until Blake clearly felt crummy but saying goodbye when we could still all enjoy a little kitty lovin' at the last. He won't exactly go out on a high note, but we can try to be sure it's not a very low note, either. The fact that he's feeling better, even with the fluid in his belly, makes us glad we pursued treatment and took such loving care of him, even if the ultimate outcome is still a sad one.

I'll post to let everybody know when Blake is gone, but I may not check in on this thread very much in between, so please forgive me for not responding until later. I know the kind and sympathetic posts on this thread will help us both, but I want to save my tears until he's gone as much as possible, in order to keep Blake feeling happy and safe.

Our heartfelt thanks to all who have been cheering Blake on and keeping him -- and us -- in your thoughts and prayers. It all helps. I'm just sorry I didn't have the good news we were all hoping for to report tonight.

Thumbnail by critterologist
This thread has 218 replies. This forum is accessible only to subscribing members of Dave's Garden. There are many free features here, and about half of our forums are completely open to all members. And learn more about Dave's Garden, and explore the benefits of becoming a subscribing member.

Want to join? Register here. Already signed up? Click here to login!