Hurricane Omar

Clarence, NY

Omar did a real job on us, even though, thankfully it just missed the island at Cat. 3. All the Manjacks and Genips were in fruit, so their leaves were 3 feet deep in just the pool and lily pond. You can imagine the mess. Thought you might like to see some pics. No power, phone, internet. Worked like a dog. Just got back to NY two days ago.

Thumbnail by DebSTX
Clarence, NY

Spent an entire day just on the pool.

Thumbnail by DebSTX
Clarence, NY

Calabash in Barbeque

Thumbnail by DebSTX
Clarence, NY

Sea Hibiscus smashed Fiddlewood and several others.

Thumbnail by DebSTX
Clarence, NY

A real mess.

Thumbnail by DebSTX
KC Metro area, MO(Zone 6a)

Hi Deb!! Nice to hear from you again. We were wondering how you fared.

That's alot of damage there. Wow! But I'm glad you weren't hurt and the damage wasn't as bad as it could have been.

Clarence, NY

Thanks Pepper. So sweet of you to respond. No Hugo, for sure. lol Was still really exciting!!

Hey, Deb, good to hear from you.

Here's a chart of how close that buggar came. Even tho' we got a lot of damage, we are soooo lucky that the eye didn't cross the middle of the Island. The eye was about 20 miles wide, and St Croix is 28 miles long.

105 knots is 121 mph, a lotta breeze!

I figure if you live in the middle of the road, you get hit by trucks every so often.

Thumbnail by
Clarence, NY

Melissa! Got your note stuck in the gate. Didn't even get that far down till days after the hurricane. So sorry I missed you!! Glad you are ok. Be coming back with my mom after Christmas. My caretaker has his "network underground" and said "Deb get ready for a Cat. 2." Didn't stop working after that.

Yup. I am amazed that so many boat people didn't prepare. Inexcusable, but they paid dearly. I think all the Deep Sea fihing boats were lost. At least the boardwalk is cleared in town, finally.

OK

Hillsborough , NC(Zone 7a)

Oh Deb, what a heartbreaking mess you had to clean up - did the house come through okay?

From everything I've heard, only one home on the island, that was built ignoring codes, lost it's roof. Our buildings are generally so strong elephants could run over them and not hurt them. Our trees had a tough time. I have a semi wooded lot that just needs bulldozing now, all knocked down. Rainsoaked, soft ground. I'm guesing Deb's huge ols Royal Poinsiennas made it thru OK, that are spectacular.

When I was visiting Deb for the Great Dragon Fruit Tasting, I spent time looking at the construction of her house. Cement beams, huge bolts. Everything painted a snowy white that looks so classy.

I wish I'd been ready to take a photo of her expression when she took her first bite of that Dragon Fruit that she'd been waiting seven years to taste!

Clarence, NY

Yes, Braveheart, thank you for your concern. After it was demolished in Hugo, my dad and bros. built it bigger, better, and stronger.

lol Melissa, did I look that scared?

Thumbnail by DebSTX

Whatta fruit, a photo doesn't portray the electric hoy fuschia color!

You seemed apprehensive. Then very "Hmmm" once you had a bit in your mouth. Poor you, you tried and tried to fall in love with it, but there's no flavor to savor!!

Lovely crunchy seeds, tho'

Clarence, NY

Yes really almost tasteless. You were right about the texture, Mel. Just like a strawberry. Really is the most beautiful fruit I've ever seen. Make a nice garnish, and certainly not offensive like a few tropical fruits.

Thumbnail by DebSTX
Clarence, NY

Dragonfruit inside.

Thumbnail by DebSTX
Hillsborough , NC(Zone 7a)

Lovely pictures, especially the one of the fruit on the end of the vine, such great color.

Richland, MI(Zone 5b)

Deb and Melissa, good to know that everything is all right with you. Beautiful fruit!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.