Flowers from yard to vase - fall and winter series

New Orleans, LA(Zone 8b)

Ts, thanks. You're right about the fragrance on garden roses. Mine smell pretty good, but you have to stick your nose in it to really smell it. I have the Blackie too, and they are really pretty. Reminds me of japanese maple leaves.

Dianne, all of those came from one little rose bush. I was surprised to find that many. The most I've seen are 4-5. I probably have about 10 today. They may be the last of the roses for now. Oooh thornless roses? I wouldn't mind having some, even if it meant losing the fragrance. The scratches aren't too bad. They don't really bother me. Just looks bad. Thanks.

london England, United Kingdom

Hi Karma!! Nice to see your flowers, your roses are beautiful! Soz you got scratched but your bouquet looks lovely with the coleus and all. Thank you for sharing.
Garden roses are so much nicer than the shop ones. I have the Blue Moon rose and that smells fab, it's usually the first and last to flower every year!
Hi TsFlowers and Dianne, anything flowering in your gardens?

Delphi, IN

Mine actually has a couple inches of snow on it. Seems kind of early to me, but...oh well.

Snowing? brrrr keep warm inside !

My Jasmine has some buds and a couple of flowers on it.

Thumbnail by terriculture

There's a birds nest in a tree, which gave me the idea for the next arrangement.
I didn't climb the tree and steal the nest, btw !!

Cornus stems make the tree, the birds nest contains painted walnuts (they look like eggs)
Jasmine is hanging around it.

The tree trunk is in a vase filled with other 'dead' stuff from around the garden.

Laurel, DE(Zone 7a)

Goodness you all have been quite busy in my absence.
Dianne I love your "lab" arrangement. Those colors are my favorite blends. It is kinda my home color scheme so how bout I borrow it as I am fresh outta fresh?

And TS, I'll also need that May bouquet, what a beauty and would look great on my mantle for the holidays as I am not decorating this year.

Karma I am amazed that you still have so many lovelies in your gardens. Most of our weather has been coming from the south, but I guess not your part of the south. Those roses are beauties, is that the true color? I ask because when it comes to a few mauves my camera seems to capture the color a bit different that what it actually is to the naked eye.

Hey Terri, you still got lanterns, mine disappeared. Your birdcage is another masterpiece of genius innovation. I really need to think more outside the box!

Hi there Sue, glad you and I are lurking!

Delphi, IN

LOL...just love that *dead* stuff. Very nice!

Sacramento, CA(Zone 9a)

Candee - you are welcomed to borrow any thing you want.

Terri - another masterpiece.

Thanks guys! you are all the bestest mates anyone could find! Your encouragement brings out these weirdo ideas. lol!
The lanterns are still there Candee, dunno what to DO with them next?!!
They have already been skewered, drowned ,threaded and opened up LOL!
Maybe they should just be stuck in a vase...... What the heck!!!

Laurel, DE(Zone 7a)

Well I notice you didn't mention that you had glued the lanterns??????????? Now perhaps that would make for an interesting container!

Sacramento, CA(Zone 9a)

I discovered Tulbaghia fragrans four years ago. It is a much better smelling relative of the common society garlic that is used in a lot of landscaping, but the beauty of this variety is that it blooms in the winter time and it makes a great cut flower. It spreads nicely, but is not at all invasive.

Thumbnail by soilsandup
Sacramento, CA(Zone 9a)

close up

Thumbnail by soilsandup
Sacramento, CA(Zone 9a)

Also blooming right now is some, I think, paperwhites.

Thumbnail by soilsandup
Sacramento, CA(Zone 9a)

And pairing them together.....

Thumbnail by soilsandup
Laurel, DE(Zone 7a)

That looks yummy Dianne, I love it.

LoL Candee, glued them together!!! now why didn't I think of that? ..... watch this space !!

Dianne, Lovely you still have flowers! Daffs in December? That combination work really well together. Nice with white as the focal point . How many Mil in the 'vase'? lol

Coffs Harbour, Australia

Loving all your gardens, and really surprised you have soo much to play with still! My garden is just coming into its own, but will soon be sad with the heat, so I had best post some pics now before it does.
Here, there are Shastas, Echinaceas, rosemary and lots of other things

Thumbnail by weed_woman
Coffs Harbour, Australia

this is a handbag vase I picked up at the markets yesterday ($11) Its glass and very heavy

Thumbnail by weed_woman
Coffs Harbour, Australia

This is the shastas, rosemary and Echinacea in the vase, along with a couple of late/early chrysanthemums. I made it late last night, so not alot of thought or creativity went into it, but luckily the flowers are pretty enough for it not to matter! LOL
The vase reminds me of when Terri puts petals or leaves in the water! Terri, if you lived closer, this vase would be your xmas present!
Sue

This message was edited Dec 8, 2008 3:18 PM

Thumbnail by weed_woman
Sacramento, CA(Zone 9a)

Very nice, Sue. I may have to steal your rosemary spikes idea.

Laurel, DE(Zone 7a)

Yes it does Sue in that arrangement photo looks like petals in the vase. What a great find. I am sure Terri will be asking for it on her next cyber visit to Aussie land!

Hi Lurker Sue! Your garden looks so pretty, not a weed in sight weedwoman whats going on? lol!
What a great find with the vase! Love it,.Thanks for my Christmas present, if I lived closer!!
The first great idea was seeing potential in that vase! The placement and height of the Rosemary is in perfect balance with the layering and width of flowers. Good choice of colours and textures to compliment the vase.

quote... 'not alot of thought or creativity' ........ NONSENSE!!!! you're a natural.

Sacramento, CA(Zone 9a)

Terri - nice perception. It is a 1000 mil "flask". Someone gave that to me a few years ago and I have never seen another one like that. Those old labware are so neat.

Most gingers are grown for their flowers, but this is one that has really nice foliage - Alpinia zerumbet. This clump is in my front entrance.

Thumbnail by soilsandup
Sacramento, CA(Zone 9a)

I have another clump in my backyard that I let grow, and it has bloomed a few times. But, I like this plant for a non-flower arrangement this time of the year.

Thumbnail by soilsandup

Oh Dianne, you are so lucky to have such lovely huge leaves outside your door.
They look great in the complementary vase, Thanks!
I just paid £3.00 for 12 big Aspidistra leaves!

Sacramento, CA(Zone 9a)

Hi Terri - I can't wait to see what you do with your Aspidistra leaves. I have a couple of clumps of those too, and they do need some trimming.

I'm attempting to make a Christmas tree with mine, Lol!

Coffs Harbour, Australia

Hi Dianne and Terri, love the Ginger leaves. Is that the ginger called 'Shell ginger'? I too like foliage arrangements, don't I terri? Can't wait to see your Aspidistra arrangement also. I have a variegated Aspidistra in a pot, and was at a loss as what to do with it. Maybe I will try and sell some leaves! LOL. Thanks for the nice compliments on the handbag arrangement. I truelly would have given it to you!
Sue

and I truely would have been delighted to recieve it!
Terri

Laurel, DE(Zone 7a)

Well I am so glad I have all these thread bookmarked cause you gals are just so special and I can't wait to see what comes from all your prizes.
I have never heard of these leaves and I know how creative you all are, so I will just put my feet up and wait!
The leaves are lovely.
I wish we had a reasonable florist nearby to get such lovelies in the winter months.

Sacramento, CA(Zone 9a)

Sue - yes, that plant is also known as shell ginger.

Candee - your wait is over!!! LoL. I finally got around to cutting and arranging. Here is a photo of my Aspidistra elatior (AKA as cast iron plant in that it doesn't require anything special except no sun). Next to it is a Asparagus meyeri - foxtail fern though it is not a fern.

Thumbnail by soilsandup
Sacramento, CA(Zone 9a)

A little further down the fence where there is some afternoon sun is a Euphorbia, species maybe characias wulfenii. Next to it is a solitary nerine still hanging in there.

Thumbnail by soilsandup
Sacramento, CA(Zone 9a)

Mixing them all together for another green December arrangement - (noticed how I "stole" a bunch of ideas from you gals?)

Thumbnail by soilsandup

Hi Dianne, Lovely all green arrangement, great colours and textures combined.
Who needs flowers? lol! Nice to see a BIG display. Thank you!

Laurel, DE(Zone 7a)

Well that is certainly a clever design. Doesn't look like any I have seen. The blue really adds to the greenery.

New Orleans, LA(Zone 8b)

Dianne, cool foliage!

Sacramento, CA(Zone 9a)

Thanks, everyone. Candee - the foxtail ferns are imitations of Sue's rosemary spikes, and the layers of greenery is inspired by Terri's choisya leaves. Must have done a good job "stealing" without being caught... LoL.

One of my favorite plants this time of the year is one that I found at a plant sale held by UC Davis arboretum folks. It is a Kniphofia (red-hot poker), variety Christmas Cheer. And, it has reliably bloomed for the last three Christmases. Took this photo this morning, and it has at least 15 spikes.

Thumbnail by soilsandup
Sacramento, CA(Zone 9a)

Sago palm leaves (Cycas revoluta) are great for arrangements because they last a long time after cutting- but the leaves are so big that I can only use them once in a while when I have something huge to arrange. This one that I have in the backyard is starting to develop pups.

Thumbnail by soilsandup

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.