Help harvesting Coneflower seeds

Greenbush, MI(Zone 4b)

Can anyopne help me in harvesting coneflower seeds? I know the brown/black long spikes are not the seeds. The seeds are beige and rather square.

Any help is appreciated.

Carol

I just did a bunch of these. Pulled everything off the flower heads and let it dry well. Then, I put it all in an old-fashioned wire strainer and shook like mad. As odd as it seems, the sharp black spikes nearly all passed through the strainer, leaving mostly just the seeds behind. A short session of "sorting" and I had a quick huge lot of clean seed!

Büllingen, Belgium(Zone 6b)

I agree with Potagere.
After using the strainer, I blow softly and if you do it well, the seeds will stay and the rest will be blown a bit away.

Belleville , IL(Zone 6b)

Purple coneflower is also referred to as a coneflower. I think the two replies are for finding the seeds of rudbeckia also know as a coneflower.
In the purple coneflower you have to look into the large cone itself. This can be kind of painful as the spikes are sharp and hard to get around. If you harvest these after a rain or early in the morning when they are damp from dew it is easier to get the seeds out, which are tan and rather large. I sometimes take a knife and just cut the cone in half length wise to get to them. You loose some since you cut through them, but it is easier to see them and get them out. Finches also can eat them all and you won't have any seeds left if you wait too long.

Leesburg, FL(Zone 9b)

I've been going out with a large "Ball" type glass jar. I snip off the head and i just sort of 'spin' the head around so the seeds fall out. [i know that's not very clear ... but i hold the stem between my fingers and spin it so the head spins around banging on the side of the glass, knocking the seeds out.]

or, just put them all in the jar, or coffee can, put the lid on it and shack the heck out of it. Most of the black spiny things should stay attached to the head, so there shouldnt be too much to sort thru.

Windy, I was referring to Echinacea purpurea, aka Purpe Coneflower. I will try your method and tcs' next time! Right now, I have more seed than I could possibly use!

Leesburg, FL(Zone 9b)

>>Right now, I have more seed than I could possibly use!

I have a lot too... that is why this year i used the "jar" method, instead of picking through the entire head - getting every seed.

The spinning/banging of the head, does not get every seed.... but i dont need every seed. *smile*

I do the same with Black Eye Susan.

Glass jars came in very handy for me, this seed gathering season.

Greenbush, MI(Zone 4b)

Thanks to all of you!

I was referring to Enchinacea purpura, which is often called Purple Coneflower. I know Rudbeckia is sometimes referred to as Coneflower, especially the yellow ones. Those are next.

Carol

Leesburg, FL(Zone 9b)

Carol -- the jar method works great for both of them.

Belleville , IL(Zone 6b)

With the yellow ones, I hold the cone by the stem after it is clipped off the plant and hold it over a paper plate and flick it with my index finger. After the seeds and some chaff are all on the plate I crease the plate to make a "ditch" and then shake it gently to send the heavier seeds to the bottom and then use my fingers to scoot the chaff off the plate. I loose some seeds this way, but if you do this over another plate or over the spot you intend to sow the seeds, you can use the lost seeds as well. The chaff and the seed are so close in color that the weight is the only difference sometimes in telling the seed from the chaff.
There is a seed saving forum on this site also that is very helpful in finding answers to these problems.

I just tried tcs' "Ball jar" method with a bunch of dried heads of Rudbeckia fulgida 'Goldsturm'. It worked great! Thanks do much!!

Post a Reply to this Thread

You must log in and subscribe to Dave's Garden to post in this thread.