Compost Question

Presque Isle, MI(Zone 5a)

I have a 20 by 30 ft garden. I am thinking about putting twenty bags of leaves on the garden and tilling them in. I will also till the garden in the spring. What is your opinion? I have an order to pick up 40 bags, 20 will go directly in my compost pile.

Gary

Dublin, CA(Zone 9a)

I'd probably shred the leaves first, that helps them break down faster. But otherwise it sounds like a good plan as long as you know where the leaves are coming from. If you don't know where they're coming from it's possible that they might have been sprayed with pesticides or something like that, so especially if this is for a veggie garden you might investigate the history of the leaves a little more before you put them in the garden.

Indianapolis, IN(Zone 4b)

Also, be cautious of Black Walnut leaves.

http://ohioline.osu.edu/hyg-fact/1000/1148.html

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6a)

I use lots of leaves this time of year. I just use them on top of the soil to mulch all beds and they seem to work well. I never till anything. Ever. Strictly no-till here.

I'm going out now to suck more leaves and spread on the beds.

Karen

Presque Isle, MI(Zone 5a)

Thank you for all your kind replies. Karen, do you use the no till method in the vegi garden?

Gary

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6a)

Absolutely. But the only veggie I grow is tomatoes. (Ok, technically a fruit). I don't even own a tiller, but I do have beautiful flowers and tomatoes.

Karen

Thumbnail by kqcrna

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.