Anyone use PREEN?

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

does anyone use Preen on top of mulch? I spread it on my old unmulched garden.
This garden is mulched ,wondering if I can Preen ontop.

Thumbnail by ge1836
Denville, NJ(Zone 6b)

I use it on top of mulch.... still works great

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

Thanks.
How early do you apply it.

Denville, NJ(Zone 6b)

sometimes I will put it down now.... thinking it will carry over till spring... but not sure about that ... I try to get it down before anything becomes active..... failed to remember last year though

:)

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

I used to apply in early March at old garden. I used it only once because I wanted the gardens to look nice while the house was on the market.
When we moved here there were warnings about deer after I spent bocou buques on tulip bulbs.
I had purchased Liquid Fence for deer.
I first opened free DG to get info on bad risk mailorder nurseries but last March when the tulips appeared I joined the forums and desperatly chose Midwest Gardening, found a woman there who said she LF'ed in January, I was so taken up with repelling deer I forgot to Preen until April when I saw millions of weeds comming up from the compost we tilled into a new Perenn garden, so April is too late,we got some weeds because subsiquent
Garden activity laid down deep woodchip mulch along with compost when I planted anything, so I guess I need to apply it as soon as the snow melts in spring.
I'm not sure about putting it down earlier but if you had luck maybe I'll give it a try in the shade garden.
It really makes a difference.

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

Thanks Willi, guess anytime is ok.

Buffalo, NY(Zone 6a)

That was my feeling .... except for winter when seeds are doing nothing. Also, interesting to note that it required re-application after rains.

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

I just finished planting bulbs so I'm safe there.
I didn't realize weeds seeded and germinated in the fall until I saw these uglies.

Thumbnail by ge1836
Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

The above appeared late Sept.
These have been growing in a former area covered with heavy plastic barrier cloth and mulch.
I think Im too late for fall germination and the "apply again after rain" will have to be in the spring. Preen is too expensive to be putting down every week.

Thumbnail by ge1836
Buffalo, NY(Zone 6a)

I have been getting those lanky dandelions for a few years now, and I just discovered that the neighbor two doors down has been dumping their lawn clippings in a huge pile in the common area behind our houses. You can see the trail of weeds from the wind blown seeds away from the pile which is covered with those dandelions. The seeds, of course, follow the wind tunnel between my house and my neighbor's to our front gardens.

If I say anything about it, they will get all nasty and not do anything differently. Sad thing is I see my elder neighbors struggling to weed them out of their rose and veggie gardens. Glad I was brought up to be more thoughtful than that.

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

The lanky dandilion has prickers and a tall stem with a small dandylion like flower.
I was raised the same as you.
Being more thought full not only benifits others but makes our lives easier.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.