Found A Great Light Container Mix

Pembroke Pines, FL(Zone 10a)

Don't know if you are familiar with coco coir but Bocabob has the product on the marketplace forum and I love it because I grow everything in containers because of all my disabilities. Formerly I've been using Jungle Growth Container Mix . Well I got a bulk 10 lb of it that when water was added was enough to fill up one EB plus one five gallon bag plus half of a twenty gallon container. This is a blessing for me as I no longer have to lug a 50 lb sack of Jungle growth container mix. Ten pounds versus fifty plus no need for lime as the PH is about 6 plus and is completely organic and goes a lot farther. For those of us with disabilities this sure conserves our strength and saves me money. Thanks Bob!
PS -- Forgot to mention it costs only $12.50 but there are smaller quantities. I'm buying three more tomorrow to replace some of my worn out mix in my EBs and the rest for my roses.

This message was edited Nov 2, 2008 4:12 PM

Thumbnail by Tplant

This is one pack already filled with coir and can plant two tomatos or six lettuce or two cukes the same as you would do with EBs even your homemade ones. He is showing me to cut three slits in the bottom for drainage and then fill with water and plant. It really blows up in size and I forgot how much it costs but I think it was about $3.00?
This coir mix and an EB working togeather should be fantastic especially since it is 100% organic, easy to carry and contains no fertilizer as you add your own.

Thumbnail by Tplant

Guess no one is interested? I've gone from hauling 60 lb container mix bags to carrying a 12 lb bulk cube, one under each arm that is equal to at least 6 or 7 cu ft of mix versus four? For those of you that garden check out our MARKETPLACE and type in COIR. It is a blessing to all of us racked with pain and dependent upon others to carry our products which I now no longer have to depend on anyone. It has helped me to regain my independence and self confidence. This is what it looks like and is PH neautral meaning 6.5 and my plants love it especially my roses. All you do is re-hydrate with water. Just trying to help you to help gain back your independence and am very surprised not to have any hits? I didn't steer you wrong on earthbox gardening, garden scooter and of course lap-band surgery!

Thumbnail by Tplant
Mid-Cape, MA(Zone 7a)

Hi Tplant, I DID read your informative reports on this forum and took them to heart, since I have back problems and hauling around heavy bags of potting mix is really hard. I'm converting to coir (ordered from the DG marketplace) for my EB planting next summer--will try some of BocaBob's growbags as well.

Great stuff and so easy to carry. Just set up where you intend to plant because when you hydrate it becomes as heavy as regular container mix. I mix in a large container and shovel from there as needed. Just as I would ordinarily do but don't have to lug the 60 lb bulk sack over to my work area or lift in and out of my car or try to find someone to put it in my car much less taking it out of my trunk?

Hughesville, MO(Zone 5a)

I just checked in on the forum and saw the thread. It certainly looks interesting. I'll have to remember it next spring. I usually get a large(3.8 cu. ft)bag of peat and use as cat litter and then get spent potting soil from PG when I'm able to go up there. I mix it with some of my own heavy black gumbo or use just the potting mix/peat in pots to make them lighter to handle.

Thanks for this information.

Valdosta, GA(Zone 8b)

I will definitely be using coir for all my planting needs. What fertilizer do you use in conjunction with the coir?

Tami :)

I use the Ol reliable 10-10-10 and Dynamite fertilizer but I'd rather use BocaBobs formula as seen on our marketplace but don't know if it can be used directly like Dynamite or other granular fertilizer as I can't take time to mix one gallon per plant and I don't have the mixing system that he has? $$$$$$ but I will ask him. His formula is perfect for everything! My Dynamite costs about $8 for a small container so his formula would be better and cheaper? As I said "I will ask him and let you know." d-mail
Ted

Valdosta, GA(Zone 8b)

Thanks Ted.

Tami :)

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.