Let's talk Seeds and Seed Mixes!

Marlton, NJ

Here is a male Red-bellied Woodpecker choosing either a whole Brazil nut or Cashew from the mix I put in my platform feeder.

This is a mix called "Just Desserts" from a company called Aspen Song. The mix contains whole Almonds,Brazil nuts,Cashews,Macadamian nuts (sp),Pistachios,Peanuts,Sunflower kernels,
shelled Pumpkin seeds,Walnuts and hulled millet.
I could do without the hulled millet but theres always something you'll find that is not to your liking.

It didn't take long before my Red-bellied Woodpeckers,Blue Jays,Titmice and Cardinals were going crazy for this mix. I expect the Nuthatches will be coming in soon for some.

Here is a page on their website. I have it on the link for the "just desserts" mix.
http://www.aspensongwildbirdfood.com/products/inclusive/justdesserts/

Their "Chickadee" mix is also nice but it does contain a good bit of black oil sunflower seed.

Please don't judge this mix by the picture as it does not represent the mix well at all.

I'll get a better picture later. The only other seed I use besides nyjer is Sunflower kernels in the other feeders.

Now let's hear about what you use. There are lots of interesting bird foods out on the market now,
I'll be back to show some more later.

This message was edited Nov 2, 2008 1:38 PM

Thumbnail by pelletory
Melbourne, FL

Nice pic. Pelle. I buy the Mixed nuts in shell for the squirrels every winter, and I get a smaller nut mix to add to the feeders. Have not tried these large nuts for the birds. I have noticed how expensive some of the seed mixes are getting.

Marlton, NJ

I just went out and took this picture of the (just deserts) mix in my platform feeder.

Those peanuts in the shell in the lower left corner are not from the mix. I know there is more than I mentioned in this mix but I don't know what all of it is and it's not mentioned in the ingredients.

Thumbnail by pelletory
Melbourne, FL

The birds are eating "high on the hog" at your place. I'm sure the squirrels will enjoy them too!

Marlton, NJ

Your right the seed mixes have gone up in price a number of times. I also heard nyjer (or thistle) is going to go up again.!

Marlton, NJ

This is on a baffled pole system so the squirrels can't get to it. I do give them peanut halves every so often and they get plenty of sunflower kernel pieces from what the birds drop on the other feeders.

Melbourne, FL

I did not see any way to order or prices...where did you get it?

The Ozarks, MO(Zone 5b)

That is a terrific shot of the WP Pelle and that nut mix looks delicious!!

Along with the Black Oiled Sunflower Seeds I have been feeding a Nut N' Berry mix in the platform feeders. I get it at Wally World and all the birds seem to like it including the Bluebirds and Woodpeckers. I also have a small feeder with niger and sunlower chips that the Pine Siskens and Goldfinches love and I noticed a Carolina Wren using it this morning.

Here is a pic of the Siskin's fighting at the little niger and sunflower chip mix! (I think they would fight over a feeder full of garbage)! LOL!

Thumbnail by dellrose
Marlton, NJ

LOL, Rose! I still haven't seen a Pine Sisken here. I've had that mix before and like it but I'll have to keep it on the baffled pole system if I get it again because the darn squirrels go after it.

The Ozarks, MO(Zone 5b)

I only saw 4 Pine Siskin's briefly this past spring...now they are all over the place. I love to watch them and hope they stay the winter.

When I bought this sock feededr I didn't realize it had all that printing on it....the Siskin's don't seem to mind but the Goldfinches don't spend much time on it. Maybe that garrish pic scares them...I don't like it either..LOL!

Thumbnail by dellrose
Marlton, NJ

Here's a company that makes Organic Bird Seed!

http://www.wildwingsorganic.com/seeds-blends.html

I've been very interested in trying the Hemp Seed (for the wild birds,silly!) as I saw it used outside the bird shop I frequent and it seemed very popular. It's quite expensive though and I don't want to waste it on House Finch. They pop with oil when the birds bite into the seed. ^_^

Marlton, NJ

There are several companys that make hot pepper bird seed. I don't know how long this type of thing works though.

http://www.hotbirdseed.com/catalog2/?cat=+++Wild+Bird+Seed

Marlton, NJ

Sorry GP I didn't see your question earlier.

Here is the page to find out about where its sold. You can do it by typing in your zip code and also on the right hand lower side of the page are some others that sell their brand.

http://www.aspensongwildbirdfood.com/community/dealers/

I bought mine at the bird store.

This message was edited Nov 2, 2008 2:00 PM

Putnam County, IN(Zone 5b)

Figures nowhere around me...I used to use the Nut & Berry from Wally World with mixed with my BOSS. may try that again. I am have to find the most economical right with the prices what they are. Plus I try to rotate each payday so I don't have to buy everything each time.

So right now I put out BOSS mixed with some peanut pieces in the tray feeder.

Safflower mixed with no waste mix in the dinnerbell.

The platform has BOSS only on one side on the other BOSS plus Corn and Peanut pieces in little dishes. A thistle feeder hanging on one arm and another trayfeeder with the Safflower mix on the other side.

Thistle sock on another shepard hook and last is 2 suet feeder.

No wonder I'm broke!! lol

Oh forgot about the corn cob holders...the jays love the corn and it ends up on the ground and the crows eat it too.

And the big bad blue dish..striped sunflower seeds in that..they are cheap!

It doesn't seem like that much until you list it all....

Beachwood, NJ(Zone 6b)

I use the Nut & Berry also. Sparingly! I mix in Boss and safflower also in my tray with the N & B. Nyger with sunflower chips in my finch feeders. Safflower on my platforms, the squirrels dont bother with it. Sometimes I will get a bag of Woodpecker Blend, its good but expensive. GM

Marlton, NJ

The Nut n Berry is another good mix!

Here is a pic of a Downy Woodpecker on a peanut silo that I have filled with the
Chickadee Mix from aspen song.
http://www.aspensongwildbirdfood.com/products/exclusive/chickadee/

Besides the ingredients listed it seems to have some peanut halves and even small cashew halves.

Thumbnail by pelletory
Melbourne, FL

Thanks, Pelle, but they are nowhere around me either. I use a lot of nut and berry mixes also, mostly from wal-mart or petsmart.

Marlton, NJ

Well their a new company so I'm sure they'll be getting around more as time goes on.

South Hamilton, MA

We just use black oil sunflower seed in our single feeder. Plenty of acorns here for squirrels & now that the feeder had to be moved I would like to have them operate on their own.

Dacula, GA(Zone 7b)

I use only black oil sunflower seed and thistle. I also have a peanut butter log and 2 suet feeders. I guess its time to make the suet again. The downeys cleaned out the log in 2 days.

Essex Junction, VT(Zone 4a)

I just saw that brand when I went to get more seed. It was pricey, but it did look quality (and I agree about the millet).

I get 50lb bags of sunflower "chips", which for the brand I get is largely full seeds (not the little bits). I went to this because the price was better at that amount, and the brand (which I forget) is better than the others I've gotten. I get it at my local agway competitor, where they'll bring it out to your car from their storage (if they had the room it would be one of those drive through places).

I also started making my own suet, and that is really popular. I reuse the plastic square containers from the store bought stuff, and make 4 in one batch. And that lasts about a month.

I found a 5 lb. bag of Mixed Tree Nuts for 7.95 at the WBU today. I will pick up a few more over the next few weeks to have on hand and add when the weather really gets cold.

They said a customer asked for this mix. So they are seeing how it sells compared to the Woodpecker mix.

This message was edited Nov 3, 2008 9:51 PM

Marlton, NJ

It might take a week before they start eating it. Be sure to update us.

Dacula, GA(Zone 7b)

Sad news for me. My parakeet died yesterday. She was 10 years old and such a sweet bird. DGD and I cried and cried. I am not planning on getting another bird for awhile. I have parakeet seed and millet. Will the wild birds eat it?

Whiteside County, IL(Zone 5a)

awwww. I'm sorry to hear that. ((hugs))

I think you will get some takers on the seed. I'd put it on the ground because doves and juncos will eat millet.

Oooo...that is so sad about your parakeet. It is hard losing a beloved pet that has been such a part of our daily lives. Hugs to you both.

Marlton, NJ

Sorry to hear that. Yes the ground birds will eat that as well as others.

This message was edited Nov 4, 2008 4:56 PM

Wilmar, AR(Zone 8a)

I can't buy the specialty mixes but I usually get a mix of black sunflower seeds, safflower and nuts and also some millet to throw on the ground for the doves, etc. I also mix up my homemade suet during the winter. The birds really love this
I'm beginning to see a few new birds come in so I'm getting excited about this winter's birding season

Dacula, GA(Zone 7b)

Thanks everyone for your kind words. I'll spread some of the seed out on the ground and see what happens.

Essex Junction, VT(Zone 4a)

OK, this isn't seed, but it is bird food.

Has anyone tried the various non-live mealworm options from Duncraft? They have a new option in their latest catalog that I'm curious about: Birdwatcher's Choice. They are apparently "soft" and come in mealworms, fly larvae and waxworms.

I once tried roasted mealworms from a local store and the birds didn't seem to like them. So I'm thinking these soft ones may be a good alternative.

If only I could get them local...I hate paying for shipping :)

Whiteside County, IL(Zone 5a)

The Canned ones? I saw those and thought about getting some.

central, NJ(Zone 6b)

I do 1 with safflower, 1 with black oiled sunflower and a thistle feeder and a suet feeder for the winter. I want to get a squirrel feeder to see if they'll stay away from the birdseed.

Central, KY(Zone 6b)

I buy this Fruit & Nut mix, from tractor supply, pretty much all of the birds munch on it. It can get pretty expensive if you have a lot of visitors, so sometimes I mix in more BOSS to stretch it a bit. I also feed shelled peanuts, in shell peanuts, BOSS and sunflower hearts. Sometimes I buy suet and sometimes I make it. May have to cut back some this year, everything seems so expensive!

http://www.tractorsupply.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay_10551_10001_44601_-1______?rFlag=true&cFlag=1

Marlton, NJ

That's a good idea sadie.
I do the same now with the new large tree nut mix I've been using. Earlier I complained about the hulled millet in the mix so now I'm keeping a fairly large holed colander out where the bird seeds are kept and I scoop a bunch into the colander and mix it around so the millet falls out on the ground and put all the rest of the mix in the platform feeder. I also put peanut halves and peanuts in the shell into the mix to stretch it further.

Hebron, KY

Last Winter, I bought the same bag as Sadie does and what I do is mix it in my large container of 'mixed seeds mix'.

I have 3 med/large hard thick plastic trashcans, just for bird food. The cans are locking also. All are 30 to 50 pound cans. I think they're the Rubbermaid Roughneck cans with 2 handles that lock down.

The first one is just for BOSS (black oil sunflower seeds).

The second one is just for 'mixed seeds mix'. I get a 20 pound bag of mixed seeds from Lowe's, add a bag of either the finch mixed or the no-waste from Lowe's (I alternate everything and mix it up). Then, if I have it, I'll add alternately, and mix in the Fruit & Nut mix, from Tractor Supply. I like to add extra white millet to the mix for the Junco's and the White Throated Sparrows that feed in the cold months on the ground. I spread some of the completed mix on the ground for the ground feeding birds everyday.

The third, and last container, I use for storing extra bags of seeds, peanuts, extra seed blocks and containers of seed (thistle, peanuts etc...).

I use those plastic containers to hold and carry bird food to the feeders everyday. You can get them at Lowe's, for instance. Here's what I'm talking about:

http://www.duncraft.com/Seed-Storage-Container--P2197C5.aspx

I need to stop over to the local Tractor Supply Store and see what they have and get some of the Fruit & Nut Mix to mix into my birdseed mix.

Here's a link for the Tractor Supply Stores. Just click onto a state. I realize that they're not in all 50 states.

http://www.tractorsupply.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/StoreByStateView?storeId=10551&catalogId=10001

I use the trashcans that are locking to make sure I don't get any mice, if they get into the garage, eating my birdfood. I bought the 3 trashcans for birdfood only and the cans have never been used for anything before and/or anything else.

Marilyn

This message was edited Dec 8, 2008 11:29 PM

This message was edited Dec 13, 2008 6:51 PM

South Hamilton, MA

Maxwell House now uses plastic containers with lids--DH uses them for taking seed out to fill the feeder.

Mashpee, MA

I use a small locking metal can as I have it out on the back deck so that filling is simpler. I have tried every imaginable container and the raccoons and squirrels just chew through plastic and even wood. I blend a fruit and nut mix with peanut hearts and BOSS and I get a wide range of birds. My DH is making suet this year...we're on our third batch and getting better and better at it. The cheap crunchy PB from BJ's and beef suet from the meat section seems to be a good combo.....and easy to make. DH took an oak log and drilled out cupcake sized wells in it for the "paste"....it has become the favored station. The quarreling was intense at first but now I often see a flickers, red bellieds, hairys and a downies sharing the trellis that it hangs on, peacefully taking turns.

South Hamilton, MA

Are all the interesting birds congregating on the Cape? I admit that we don't have suet--are squirrels interested, if so how do you keep them away?

Mashpee, MA

Iris,

I have never had a problem with squirrels going after the suet....bigger problem are the opossum & raccoons; they love it! We take down the suet feeders shortly after dark and DH puts them back out at dawn. It is a nuisance but we have improved the pegs/hooks etc. so that it is simple to do. DH also built a squirrel proof platform feeder and the other feeders are either (somewhat) squirrel proof or difficult for them to reach. It helps that we have a neighbor 200' away that has standard issue feeders that the squirrels can get to with ease. He doesn't mind....more power to him!

I haven't seen anything SUPER interesting so far....just my usual favs: juncos, flickers, Carolina wrens, creepers, nuthatches, titmice, hairy wp & red bellied wp. I have had a very large number of titmice (don't know why)....the yard looks very alive when they are there as they are so animated. I did have 6 bluebirds in the yard all winter last year. That was a treat!

South Hamilton, MA

I would like to get the red bellied woodys out of the woods where I can see them. there seem to be more titmice here also this yr. Must have had a great nesting season, they are more than the chickadees, at least it seems so. Our racoon population dropped after the rabies moved into the area. Maybe the coyotes have botherd them also so they could have moved on--the coyotes walk down the road & also appear in peoples back yards. they don't trouble feeders.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.