What's Happening in YOUR neighborhood today, part 10

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

Wow, November 1st and it is +18C. We have had an awesome October. I even mowed the lawn...just whacky. Check out the picture...can you spot the little devil face? John Davis rose

Thumbnail by joannabanana
Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

Still have a few pansies going.

Thumbnail by joannabanana
Victoria Harbour, ON

OMG I'm envious...beautiful photo's Joanne, YOU must enter them in the photo contest..

Yesterday was beautiful, did some work outside but stood and cut over 40 Victorian Santa velvet outfits for my workshops, up early this morning, the sewing begins..lol..

Up with the furnace and fireplace on to take the chill out..think it might have gotten quite cool...brrrr

Grandchildren called me yesterday to thank me for the costumes, had brought them into the city and my Jeff (son) picked them up..looking forward to photo's...

Most of the time I don't get them until next October when they want costumes again..lol...

What is in your plans today?

As for flowers in my garden...nope, all gone to sleep..now the excitement remains for next year!

Enjoy your day..may it be filled with sunshine..

Thunder Bay Ontario, ON(Zone 3a)

Have I mentioned how much the 'FALL BEHIND' kinda tends to take a CHUNK outta my already wonky 'Circadian Rhythm' ? BUT .. the fact that it is just nearing 7am and it's getting lighter out is Okee dokee :-)

Jo .. I think the devil face is closer to the bottom of the leaves ? Love the pics .. we have nothing left now .. just blank gardens .. mounds of frozen dirt .. but .. if I close my eyes I can project quite easily :-) Have had 3 glorious days in a row here .. today is looking a bit cooler with some rain.

Guess you'll be happy to be done with those Santas Betty .. they sure do take time to do .. have to give you credit .. I wouldn't have the patience ..

Today is 'house cleaning day' .. have it pretty much down to an art now (as long as no one gets in my way or calls or arrives unannounced) Have discovered that 'tenants' have moved in under my kitchen sink .. gotta love country living !!
Will be breaking out the mouse traps later today .. had a talk with the cat this morning and asked him what was up with that!! He just struted away and swished his tail at me !!! Saucy sort !!

Made a huge lasagna yesterday .. that's for supper tonight, have found that making it a day ahead and then refridgerating it overnight and re warming it really enhances the flavour ..

Hope everyone has an awesome day !!

~N~

Ottawa, ON(Zone 5a)

Good morning,

Been working on the fall newsletter for the Canadian Viola Society. I'm afraid that I got behind while hosting the gnomes. LOL

My handbells play in church this morning - Just As I Am http://www.handbellworld.com/music/MusicPiece.cfm?piece=10773 There is a sound clip by clicking on the yellow bell, but some of my ringers had difficulty with this one.

It requires EVERY bass bell we own plus chimes in the bass and the tables are so crowded that we are clanking bells. I just remembered I had an additional 2 feet of foam that we bought for a different set-up last year; so I'm taking it along. Together with a thin board, it will allow us to pull our tables 2 feet apart and bridge the gap. We use sheets on top of the foam and lots of those.

Need to get going. Want to be at church in about 45 minutes. There was a wedding yesterday so we will have to set-up everything.

Have a good day.

Ann

Ann .. the clip is just beautiful .. and .. I can imagine quite difficult to play !!!

We're having 'chubby rain' at the moment :-( Hopefully it;ll skeedaddle ..

~M~

Ottawa, ON(Zone 5a)

It's actually rated as a Level 2 pieces which is supposed to be pretty easy. Hardest Level 2 I've ever seen. And the first key change and change of technique to mallets and chimes occurs with a KILLER page turn too. It wasn't perfect this morning, but it went pretty well.

Ann

TORRINGTON, AB(Zone 3b)

Beautiful selection - and it DOES sound difficult to play!
Do you ever tape yourselves? I'd love to hear you!!

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

Foster Shiloh off to his new home this morning and we have the house to ourselves again after a month!
Beautiful days yesterday and today- a nice gathering for the Hort Society volunteers out at Canada Olympic park and an amusing talk from David Tarrant about his nbew home in Mexico.
Most of my asters are still blooming ( some years it is cold too early to even have blooms on them)
'S' predicted for mid week!

Thumbnail by fancyvan
Victoria Harbour, ON

Loved the sound clip Ann, must take some practicing ...

Rain and fog early this morning but the sun is trying to come out..double digit temps for the next week..

I'm fighting being able to stay awake..worked all weekend..pretty bad when you get excited when the alarm goes off at 4:45am to say early to rise it's Monday morning...yipppee a day of rest...lol

Asters are beautiful...maybe a flower or two has color in the garden but all else completely dead...oh well..just think of the beauty that's yet to come this spring...hope Shiloh takes to his new home...

'M' you have me laughing...Missy had mole at the door today...both my kitties are hunters...let's hope NO mice...

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

Ann that is lovely!

Any groups in Calgary that you know of?

Ottawa, ON(Zone 5a)

I think Talullah would like to start one at her church, but getting the bells is a challenge. There must be some groups, but I don't know what's happening there.

Went to aquafit this morning. Stopped by the food cupboard afterwards for about an hour to help with a special project. Taught an adult student and have spent the rests of the afternoon working on Viola Society Newsletter. Have an orchestra rehearsal tonight; so I can't stay.

We're supposed to have it warm tomorrow, but today has been cold and rainy.

Ann

Victoria Harbour, ON

Wow, Ann you tire me out..and that takes some doing..lol
Can't believe how dark it is outside, looks like rain at any moment...
ooops it's 4:47 time to go home..

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

Ann I did a bit of googling. Turns out there is an Alberta Association or society and there are 2 churchs in Calgary with HB choirs and there was just a 2 day annual festival at a local church in October!

Interesting thought. Is it any advantage to have a musical education? I have piano and organ ARCTs.( eaons ago of course!)

I see one needs more than a few$$ to buy the bells!

This message was edited Nov 3, 2008 3:08 PM

This message was edited Nov 3, 2008 3:12 PM

Ottawa, ON(Zone 5a)

Having a musical background will help a lot, but for most of us, picking out just our own note in the stacked chords can be a bit tricky. Piccolo players have an advantage.

Often the bells are bought by donations to buy certain bells. Ours all have inscriptions in the handles. http://www.emmanuelunited.ca/music/memorial.html Or fund-raising projects can help. Most often a new group will buy 3 octaves but they can buy just 2. Our church had 3 for many years and in the last decade have acquired all of the 4th and half of the 5th octaves.

ann

Victoria, BC(Zone 8b)

it was a gray day with some sprinkels, 14C with some wind. It's nice to have my computer back, it's been in the shop twice in 3 days. I went and got some groceries, you'd think I had to bulk up for the cold winter with what i bought, lots of comfort food. Tonights dinner is red cabbage with vinegar and brown sugar, roasted yams and pork medallions in mushroom sauce.

Ann I enjoyed the links for the hand bells.

Linda

Victoria Harbour, ON

Linda I'm starving..too tired though to cook for one..sandwich will have to do...enjoy yours..want to share?

Ann, just so much more than us thinking we can go purchase bells right..will check out those links tomorrow..

For now it's bedtime..
night / night

Feel like Snoopy fro Peanuts .. sitting at his typewriter and typing "It was a cold and dreary day" ^_^
We wakened to fog .. and it's still here .. very odd ..

Linda .. talk about great minds thinking alike !!! I had ham and a red cabbage from the garden as well as Yukon gold potatoes from the garden .. I also cooked my cabbage in vinegar and brown sugar ..yummy ..

Went to one of the large local greenhouses today .. couldn't get any winter garlic seed waited too long .. BUT .. got myself 2 pairs of WINTER crocs .. they're lined with fleece .. and since I am a 'bare footer' for as long as I can hang onto that I'm going for an extension !!!

Have my student that I am mentoring tomorrow .. we actually are getting together IN PERSON rather than via phone or the internet .. he's doing very well .. will make a fine nurse ..

Best get a move on .. everyone stay well

~M~

OM DAWG! We broke ANOTHER weather record today !! It was 22C .. I wore a light blouse out and was fine .. however (dontcha HATE howevers) we seem to be heading into some YUCKIES starting tomorrow .. including the word SNOW ... tell me it ain't so LoL

The mentoring session went very well and I also got to spend time with my Hospice client as well ..
The next 3 days I am in class at a Palliative Care Conference .. looking forward to it ^_^

Take care

~M~

Grand Forks, BC(Zone 5b)

Been pretty rainy and dreary here all day, with temperatures in the single digits. But I just happened to look out the window just now, and the tops of our mountains are WHITE. Very scary to see for the first time. I have been in denial that it could snow so early, and before we leave to go South next week, but it looks like it could happen. YUCK!

Leaves on my Hybrid Tea Roses still haven't turned, let alone dropped yet. It might happen that I won't be able to get them covered or sprayed with anti-desicant before we leave. That has me a little worried. Of course the Mordens have lost most of their leaves and they don't need to be covered....sigh

TORRINGTON, AB(Zone 3b)

Fancy - I have all the info for the Bells, and a church can rent them for free (I have the contact name/ph#/email) - 3 months @ a time, and I've found someone who would teach a group, for nothing as well! I just can't get our church to get a quorum - never enough who come to practice to vote on it. When you only get 4 to practice, nothing more you can do........
Anyway, if you'd like, I can d-mail you the info.

-Susan-

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

Well I dont know that I am particularly serious about this Susan but let me know what happens.

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

My daughter's elementary school has a handbell group. They usually play (not sure that the right word to use) the bells for all kinds of different functions. My favorite is the Christmas concert. Christmas Carols are beautiful done with had bells ( what word do you use to describe bonging to tune???). Anyways, for a bunch of kids in grade 4, 5 & 6 they do an awesome performance. It's interesting watching them since they are so focused. If you have an opportunity to catch a Christmas Handbell "thing" it is well worth it.

Victoria Harbour, ON

Morning, sorry to hear about the bad weather coming up your end...omg it's suppose to be 20 here today in the city, can you imagine..must be our Indian Summer! For the next couple of days much the same but calling for rain on the weekend, wouldn't you know it...I'm counting those Nov. work days...17 more to go and no more driving to Toronto...only about a 35-40 minute drive to Barrie..oh happy days!

Not sure that I ever attending a Christmas concert where the children played bells but I seem to recall being somewhere that they did and I absolutely loved it...would be quite an endeavour to get a group going in local church...

With Thanksgiving behind us, how many of you have started Christmas shopping...

Victoria Harbour, ON

Don do you spend the winter south? Where abouts do you travel to?

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

First snow overnight!

Grand Forks, BC(Zone 5b)

Well we dodged the Snow bullet here. Temperatures stayed above freezing.

Betty, we travel to Tucson, Arizona in the winter where we have family and a little home in a Resort Park there. We love the winters there. Sunshine, blue skies and warm temperatures are the order for the winter season. ^_^

Ottawa, ON(Zone 5a)

Good morning,

Tying up a lot of loose ends here as we leave this evening for 5 days in Germany.
Managed to finish one pair of Santa Claus mittens for the church bazaar. Made up a certificate for another pair and one person ordered the other two pairs that I pledged to make; so there's no rush to finish them. They are all mostly knitted. Just have to knit the thumbs, tie in the loose ends, sew on noses and eyes and sew them together.

Our flight leaves at 10 pm; so it's a bit more relaxed than some trips have been. But I may take my viola. Still haven't decided. Have to miss an OSO rehearsal for which I'm getting into trouble, but I'm already a persona non grata in that orchestra; so it shouldn't matter much.

I MIGHT get a chance to check in while we are away, but I'm not counting on it.

See you next week if not before.

Ann

Ottawa, ON(Zone 5a)

Meant to give you a pic of the mittens.

Thumbnail by ViolaAnn
Grand Forks, BC(Zone 5b)

Love them! Have a good trip!

Victoria Harbour, ON

Just adorable...bet they will make some child smile not to mention warm..Don you enjoy your winter...

Just heard on the news they found the body of the young Brandon Crisp..at least they believe it to be...although traggic the parents will at least have some peace knowing what has happened to him...

Grand Forks, BC(Zone 5b)

So sad...I know we were all hoping and praying for a different result.

Very unfortunate re Brandon Crisp .. have to feel for his parents and friends. They haven't said whether 'foul play' was involved .

Enjoy your winter in AZ Don :-) We have gone but not to southern AZ .. we went to Flagstaff and Sedona .. not as warm but such a great area to visit .. I miss the Grand Canyon ^_^

Enjoy Germany Ann .. and the mittens are adorable :-)

Day one of the conference was 'so so' .. 3 good speakers and 2 who have left me scratchin my head .. hopefully tomorrow will better.

R A I N here today .. BUCKETS of it ...

~M~

Grand Forks, BC(Zone 5b)

Northern Arizona is a wonderful place to visit isn't it Marilynn? You're right, not so warm, but we visited the Grand Canyon on the way home last year and it was phenomenal. One place I'll never forget. ^_^

Ottawa, ON(Zone 5a)

We were out that way last May and early June. Actually, spent most of our time in Utah and one little swing into Colorado. One of these days I'll get captions on my pics on SmugMug and then send out the URL. I posted a lot of them on Coffee in late June.

We are now at the airport. DH travels so much he has lounge access and the lounge is in the brand new part of the terminal. They've gone to wide screen monitors on their computers. I wonder if the Internet is FAST. I think I'll try to pare down the list of pics in the photo contest.

Ann

Grand Forks, BC(Zone 5b)

Nasty weather in store for BC later today, including the *S* word for us in the Southern Interior. Time to "Batten Down the Hatches"! :(

Better day for the Conference .. AND .. I get tomorrow OFF YAHOO!!!

Weather is THE pits !!! Lotsa rain and cold miserable wind .. snow is threatening but seems to prefer to fall in the more northerly areas (so far) ..

Havin a glass of wine, watching the fire ficker in the woodstove and waiting for dinner to be done ..

Hope everyone is doin Okee dokee ^_^

~M~

TORRINGTON, AB(Zone 3b)

I'm doin' MORE than Okee Dokee!
My boss told me to take some time off, tomorrow (I won't take the whole day, but I'm pretty much caught up, and I'll leave @ noon...)
My DD & SIL are coming tomorrow night @ 10:20, and will be here until noon Tuesday. I'm sooooooooo looking forward to having them here - they've never been to Calgary, and of course have never seen our home. And of course I don't need to go in until Wed (Boss gave me Monday off, too!!)
Going to Banff on Sunday, and the other 2 days are going to be spent @ the Zoo, Fort Calgary, the Calgary Tower, Eau Claire Market (funky little indoor mall), Chinese Cultural Centre - boy we're going to be busy!! lol
They're such good kids!! 1 more Sleep!! :-))

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

Pretty cool here today - no sun so the snow is still on the ground( but not fortunately on the roads and sidewalks)

Grand Forks, BC(Zone 5b)

We did get our snow showers this morning, but then changed to rain...and we are in for a big whack of it over the next several days.

Thumbnail by DonM47

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.