Help, my rhizomes are growing

Marion, NC

I purchases some iris and planted them about three weeks ago. Now I am seeing a a fan of leaves sprouting up from most of them. Does this mean they won't bloom next summer? If not, will they bloom the following summer when they get "back on schedule"? Did I plant them at the wrong time?

Thanks for any words of wisdom,

Karen

South Hamilton, MA

The new fans are active parts which may bloom next summer. they will stop growing as winter sets in.

Greensboro, NC(Zone 7a)

Mine did the same thing last winter...I was bad and didn't plant them until a weird week of 79 degree temps last December. I had blooms from more than half of the iris I planted. They all tended to set up with new growth until mid January when the temps finally settled into a colder pattern like normal winter weather.

Even after the cold finally set in almost everything stayed relatively green right through until spring.

Marion, NC

Whew, thanks. I feel better. I was afraid I had wasted all that money, never mind the effort of preparing the beds and planting. We've had 4 days of heavy frost so perhaps they will stop growing soon.

Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

Now you see another reason that we are so fond of iris. You can abuse them and they still make beautiful flowers. What a great plant!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.