New to the forum - any interest in native herbs?

Willis, MI

Hi all,
I purused the list and saw the topic on poison ivy cures. I run an native herb farm and herb forum on the net and was cruising around to see if I could be part of other forums with the same interest. Does this list talk much about medicinal uses of native herbs? Or is it strictly about gardening/plant ID/ with natives in general. Thanks!

NE Medina Co., TX(Zone 8a)

Well, I know I'm interested in native herbs! There seem to be a lack of information on them!

Benton County, MO(Zone 5a)

I LOVE the subject of native plants and herbal/medicinal uses! I have been studying that on my own now for about 15 years. I have experimented with a few things, made tinctures, etc. :-)

I do have one book, Edible and Useful Plants of Texas and the Southwest, that has been a little useful. Did you study any books?

Thorne Bay, AK(Zone 6b)

YEP.I have the Peterson Field Guides "Western Medicinal Plants snd Herbs".I have used it quite a bit,as it pertains to the coastal rain forest,where I live.

I have a whole library of books on the subject. :-)

Willis, MI

A good plant ID book is essential, and like everyone has noted, there are many! I like the Stan Tekiela wildflower series, although he just written some for the Midwest states (I live in Michigan). His herbal information is good too. Also the book Herbs, by Leslie Bremness is another classic herbal plant ID book.

I am glad I found some interest here! Do you all treat your critters too with natural remedies?

Not too much because I'm not sure just what they can and can't have.

I do know that echinacea made into a tincture from just the stems, leaves and flowers is a very good remedy if taken at the first hint of a cold. Far better than store bought preparations. I'm sure that s true for most herbs though.

Saint Bonifacius, MN(Zone 4a)

For supper I dug some Allium stellatum, native to MN, from my garden a while ago. http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/912374/

(This pic from summer time, of course.)

Thumbnail by Leftwood
North, TX

Would like to add that I love natives and wildflowers. Also study the medicinal uses of wildflowers on my own. Have recently moved so.. it put a hold on my medicinal "garden plans" because I'm now learning about all the native plants I continue to find growing here. Very fun! and glad I can take this time to watch all four seasons go by before changing a thing!!

I would love to find the perfect book, probably one with old folklore included with the medicinal values of each herb.

I sometimes refer to Edible and Useful Plants of Texas and the Southwest by Delina Tull. It doesn't just cover natives, but most of the species covered are. So many plants....but with getting older memory is so spotty to remember much!

North, TX

Thank you so much for the reference!! Sounds very useful to me!

In line with healing wildflowers... I also enjoy healing herb flower essences, a practice/preparation developed by Dr. Edward Bach. I've used several formulas myself and they are wonderful. There is also a flower essence formula for pets that is used in animal rescue and shelters to bring peace of mind and calming to animals with trauma and stress. Very facinating concept if anyone is interested there's a website: www.fesflowers.com has a link to learn more.

Middleburgh, NY

Our gardens are a certified botanical sanctuary through United Plant Savers. We grow about 300 herbs. Love natives, but confess I'll grow any herb that I can.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.