November-cold outs but the orchids are spiking!

Shelburne Falls, MA(Zone 5a)

Welcome to November! Here's Ascda. Susan Ong 'Ah Mooi' going strong with a second spike

Thumbnail by boojum

I'm not sure what happened to the title but outs=outside! Here's a pic from my visit to Amherst, MA grower and seller Bill Hutchinson (Larch Hill Orchids).

Thumbnail by boojum

Wall of mostly pleurothallises (?) in the colder gh.

Thumbnail by boojum

Forgot all the names, sorry!

Thumbnail by boojum

Loved these small red flowers!

Thumbnail by boojum

here's a beauty.

Thumbnail by boojum

Great markings!

Thumbnail by boojum

I have one of these Bulbo. echinolabiums but mine is tiny compared to Bill's 2.

Thumbnail by boojum

He gave me one of these dendrochilum tenellums. I was very good-this was the only plant I brought home.

Thumbnail by boojum

Another nice yellow dendrochilum.

Thumbnail by boojum

Forgot the name but don't you have this Ursula? Mine died a while ago. Sigh.

Thumbnail by boojum

Love this orange!

Thumbnail by boojum

Some of my Noid rescues

Thumbnail by

Another one

Thumbnail by
Naples, FL(Zone 10b)

Lee, the Blc. Hawaii Stars came from our recent trip to Homestead. My wife was walking around the nursery when she smelled the aroma and followed the scent to where it came from. This was at Carib Plants Inc., 26505 S.W. 203rd Avenue, Homestead, FL. 33031 and of course we had to have one.

Fred

Golden, MS(Zone 7a)

first, boo your pics almost made this asthma to flare up as they are just beautiful. Thanks for posting them.
Second, Fred thanks for the name of the grower. It wouln't take me but just a second to buy a couple but money, indeed, doesn't and unfortunately grow on trees.LOL. Thanks to you both. Lee

Fair Lawn, NJ(Zone 6b)

Kathy - Lockhartia oerstedii
Btw, I noticed Keikis appearing on seemingly deadish old growth on this Lockhartia!!
it looks like you had a FUN visit! One plant only- but a very nice one!! Interesting pics!!

Laurel, you had asked about the Bayer
http://www.bayeradvanced.com/product/All-In-One-Rose-Flower-Care/concentrate.html
I use it at 1 ounce /Gallon, if necessary I repeat a week later. I use a spray bottle and spray the whole plant, trying not to miss any nook and crannies. I have on occasion soaked a very stubborn infestation of Boisduval scale ( ? white powdery looking) for several hours with good results.

Very pretty Rene!

Lee, you would love the strong spicy floral scent of Cattleya Chocolate Drop. It perfumes a whole room! I got mine ( 'Kodama') years ago from Odom's Orchids.
Now 2 spikes open.

Thumbnail by RUK
Golden, MS(Zone 7a)

Ursula, i would like the fragrance. One of my favorite fragrant orchids is my old stand by Keowee. Since, I'm back to wanting to orchid shop, I should just check out Odom's, Why not as I might find something of greater interest than the Maxallaria. Thank you for the info. It's good to hear from you Ursula. You are so smart and you do know orchids. Lee

Odessa, FL(Zone 9b)

Fred, we caught the cruise ship in Miami so drove I75 through Naples. I cracked the window and screamed, "Hey Fred", both ways. Don't know if you heard me.

Bulb-A- Dorible Anna Roth was open upon our return.

Jim

Thumbnail by hawkarica
Odessa, FL(Zone 9b)

This is Dendrobium, Lilac Swirls, against the sky.

Jim

Thumbnail by hawkarica
Odessa, FL(Zone 9b)

A closer look.

Jim

Thumbnail by hawkarica
St. John's, NL(Zone 5b)

What a start! kathy, you are up to your neck (maybe nose) with blooms!

Ursula, that cattleya is stunning.

Jim, Lilca Swirls is great! All my Dendrobiums are either bigibbum types or kingianum..I need some antelope hybrids.

Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA(Zone 7b)

Ursula, thanks for the info. My only current problem is the scale inherited from the hobbyist purchases last year and one with some leaf tip issues. Can't complain, but I like to be prepared for battle. :)

Kathy, in these days of extra-ordinary fuel costs it stymies me as to why there are many more growers around the corner your way than we have here. I'll add envious to stymied.

Home tomorrow and hopefully a bloom or two.
L

Naples, FL(Zone 10b)

Jim,
my hearing isn't what it used to be. Next time you shoot by Exit 101 shout a little louder. If you see somebody waving, it's probably not me. :-)

The weather is permitting me to actually get some work done outside but it also leaves me bushed at the end of the day. Now it's time to relax and watch some football. Texas Tech seems to be manhandling Texas.
Fred

Dearborn Heights, MI(Zone 6a)

My PHAL. Brother Casangold

Thumbnail by DaylilySLP
Dearborn Heights, MI(Zone 6a)

My PHAL. Sogo Tris

Thumbnail by DaylilySLP

Both beautiful, Daylily. I especially like the 'Brother Casangold'. I'm months from blooms here.

Fair Lawn, NJ(Zone 6b)

Very pretty, Daylily!

I took the camera around today -

This is Slc Dream Catcher, a true mini orchid.

Thumbnail by RUK
Fair Lawn, NJ(Zone 6b)

Angraecum distichum flowering again!

Thumbnail by RUK
Fair Lawn, NJ(Zone 6b)

Here is a preview of Cirrhopetalum Elizabeth Ann 'Buckleberry' FCC/AOS - 4 spikes in the works.

Thumbnail by RUK
Fair Lawn, NJ(Zone 6b)

And more of the developing spikes

Thumbnail by RUK
Fair Lawn, NJ(Zone 6b)

Cattleya bicolor brasiliensis
I almost missed the flowers since they were directed at the glass wall.

Thumbnail by RUK
Fair Lawn, NJ(Zone 6b)

A very small Pleurothallis allenii 'Eichenfels' ( got it from Hoosier Orchids at the SEPOS in the Spring)

This message was edited Nov 2, 2008 8:22 PM

Thumbnail by RUK
Fair Lawn, NJ(Zone 6b)

And an even smaller Pleurothallis alata, the whole pot measures 1 inch in diameter!!!!
The plant is very happy, I have it normally buried up to the edge of its little pot in the CHC mix of the Epi ilense. It is sort of riding piggyback and seem to like it. Under those conditions it never dries out. It flowered like that all Summer outside.

The picture isn't stellar, please consider the diminutive size!

Thumbnail by RUK
Fair Lawn, NJ(Zone 6b)

and

Thumbnail by RUK
Fair Lawn, NJ(Zone 6b)

And my Vanda David Gardner is opening a couple of spikes.
That's it for today.

Thumbnail by RUK
Jacksonville, FL(Zone 8b)

I added three new orchids to my collection, thanks to some $2 bargain out-of-flower plants from Lowe's:

Dtps. Minho Princess 'Flying' Does anyone have a photo of this one? If so, you may want to create a Plant Files page for it. Plant Files only show it as a cross pollinator for other orchids.

Phalenopsis Wedding Promenade http://www.flickr.com/photos/gemjulez/2221061136/

and Dtps Newberry Parfait x Fajens Fireworks http://florajournal.com/plants/plantdetail.jsp?plant_id=22&name=Moth%20Orchid%20(Altria)

Despite the very low price of $6 total, they were in great condition (or as good as can be expected following big box store abuse). I look forward to bringing them into spike next year.

Jeremy

Those are about your best ever, Ursula. I just kept saying, "Holy cow!".

Good job, Jeremy. I had a bunch of 'Wedding Promenade' comments last winter and have a bunch of 'Wedding Promanades'. Seems we all had different versions. Ken straightened us out on that one. Can't wait to see yours.
Laurel

I love pleurothallis right now! Thanks for the pics, Ursula!! I also love the Slc Dream Catcher!
I bought a half price Cattleya Chocolate Drop 'Volcano Queen' today, not in bloom.

St. John's, NL(Zone 5b)

Nice Phals Daylily!

Ursula, your show is as good as Kathy's. You both have oads in bloom. I have to get around to taking some shots of mine.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.