Looking for Kohlrabi seed

Portland, OR(Zone 8a)

I have some things to trade or would do SASE. I have some celery for cutting (a leafy variety that does not have the thick stems.) I have a couple of Choy Sum varieties (Red Stem and Yu Golden). Chinese Chive Tai Jiu, and Asparagus Bean. I also have some Jimmy Nardello pepper from this year's crop. Other than the pepper, the seeds are commercially purchased and I just got them this fall. No crop yet. Purchased from Gourmet Seed ( www.gourmetseed.com ).

Z

Biggs, KY(Zone 6a)

How do you know when kolrobi is ready to harvest. I have 1 plant that made it and I was wondering if it was ready to harvest.

Portland, OR(Zone 8a)

Here is a paragraph that I plagiarized from the Brooklyn Botanical Garden website. The two to three inch thing is consistent with other things I have read.

"I begin to harvest kohlrabi when they reach two to three inches in diameter. Cut the root an inch below the tubers. Trim the leaves to cook separately and store the tubers in the crisper of your refrigerator. They will keep for at least three weeks. I still enjoy kohlrabi sliced up raw best of all, but the leaves and tubers are great cooked, too. For greens, cut and discard the leaf stems, then drop the leaves into boiling water. Cook until just tender. Then heat olive oil in a skillet. Add garlic and sauté briefly. Toss in the kohlrabi leaves and cook a few minutes more."

http://www.bbg.org/gar2/topics/kitchen/1998sp_kohlrabi.html

Biggs, KY(Zone 6a)

Thanks for the info. I am going to try them again in the Spring. Maybe I will have better luck.

Langley, WA(Zone 8b)

I have 'Purple Vienna' and 'White Vienna' kohlrabi seeds. If you're interested in either of those varieties I would absolutely love some seeds for the Jimmy Nardello pepper and Red Stem Choy Sum.

~Amanda

Biggs, KY(Zone 6a)

Should kolrabi be planted early like brocolli?

Portland, OR(Zone 8a)

Cajun, it is my understanding that Kohlrabi is very similar to broccoli for growing. Possibly somewhat more tolerant to cold. In fact, they will cross pollinate. It should be planted either early or late.

Portland, OR(Zone 8a)

Amanda, I am interested and I will send you Dmail.

Z

Langley, WA(Zone 8b)

Wonderful, Z.

CajuninKy, it's definitely true that kohlrabi will cross pollinate with all members of Brassica oleracea which includes plants like Broccoli, Brussels sprouts, cabbage, cauliflower, collards and kale - it's a very annoying group of plants to save seeds from ;)

And also true that they don't at all care for warm weather and should either be planted in spring or fall (or both) depending on your climate. Here I grow most of mine over the winter. The purples are said to be hardier than the whites but they both over winter in my area. However, 'Seed to Seed' says that kohlrabi does not overwinter in the midwest and would need to be dug up and replanted for seed production which means in your area you'd likely want to grow them in the spring or early fall.

There are some varieties that are an exception, but typically if you let kohlrabi go too long the center will get woody and they're not especially good. It's best to harvest when it's not much bigger than a baseball and they're fine even smaller than that.

~Amanda

Biggs, KY(Zone 6a)

The only one I had that made it is just over golf ball sized now. I will plant them in early spring when I plant the broccoli but I'll put them on different ends of the planting bed.

I would like to let some of each go to seed. Do I just let them grow until they make flowers and then the seeds will come on the flowers?

Langley, WA(Zone 8b)

As long as they go to seed at different times you'll be fine harvested seeds from both.

And that's exactly how to do it. As long as it's warm enough for the kohlrabi to overwinter in your area the next year it will grow rather tall flower stocks, go to flower and produce quite an abundance of seeds in thin pods.

The only thing that you need to watch for with the seed pods is that they need to mature fully and dry on the plant, but when they're very ripe will shatter so you need to keep a careful eye on them around the time that they're close to dry and either pick the pods frequently or put some kind of bag around them to catch the seeds.

~Amanda

Biggs, KY(Zone 6a)

So do you think I might be able to baby along the one I have growing now by mulching it ect. and let it mature in the spring for seeds?

Langley, WA(Zone 8b)

According to the book 'Seed to Seed', the majority of kohlrabi varieties are hardy to 20 degrees so can be tricky in cooler areas to winter them over. I'm not exactly sure which region Kentucky is considered but if it would be 'mid-Atlantic' then mulch should work.

The recommendations for overwintering kohlrabi is broken down by region:
Northeast - "Dig plants in late October and store heeled into sand, soil or sawdust in cellar. Replant in early May. Second year plants should either be set deeper than they originally grew, or else hilled up. The big trick, as with other B. oleracea, is to overwinter in good condition. Remove leaves but try not to tear the skin. Water roots in cellar in mid to late winter, if they seem too dry."

Mid-Atlantic - "Plants might require protection in harsh winters. Mulch with compost, leaf litter or straw for winter protection."

Southeast/Gulf Coast - "The plants overwinter in the garden with no special care."

Upper Midwest - "Dig the plants up in early November and store the roots in moist sand. Replant in early April."

Southwest - N/A

Central West Coast - "The plants overwinter in the garden with no special care." (however it goes on to say that seed crops in this area are usually not successful)

Maritime Northwest - "The plants overwinter in the garden with no special care."

It would certainly be worth trying to see if your plant survives the winter with mulch (as long as it's a commonly available variety) because if so it would certainly be far more convenient than having to dig it up. And if it doesn't then you'll know you need to dig it up and you can say it was my fault and I can send you kohlrabi seeds in the spring ;)

~Amanda

Biggs, KY(Zone 6a)

I think I will give it a try. I only stand to lose 1 plant. LOL Small price to pay for the sake of research!!

Post a Reply to this Thread

You must log in and subscribe to Dave's Garden to post in this thread.