Growing Sweet Potatoes in Cantainers

Lincoln, AL

Can sweet potatoes be grown in barrels? They were too hard for me to dig in the ground, and also I have sprouts everywhere i missed. The vines take a lot of space, and I think it would be easier for me. If so, what kinds would be best?
Tom

Windsor, CT(Zone 6a)

25 views & no answers! Sorry Tom, I guess that's a good question!

Sweet taters need alot of root room. Even though you don't see them at harvest, there are alot of fine roots that extend way out from the plant, seeking water. Considering that you'd get maybe 3-5 taters (max) per plant, you're talking alot of barrels if you want a substantial yield.

Give it a try, and report back next year, letting us know how it worked!

I had a really tough time harvesting my sweet potatoes too. My soil was too heavy. In the spring I'm going to add peat, or something, to lighten it up a bit.

Augusta, GA(Zone 8a)

too1tom. Never considered growing them in barrels. They are very easy to dig, if you plant them properly. Probably take about 10 gallons per plant and I would recommend a bunch type cultivar. In heavy soil they do much better planted on a list about 12 -16 inches wide and 6 inches above ground level.

Thumbnail by Farmerdill
Lumberton, TX(Zone 8b)

I planted them in raised beds and was pretty happy with the harvest; I got a couple of dozen nice SPs.

Edited to say the raised bed was 2x6.

This message was edited Nov 7, 2008 9:25 AM

Windsor, CT(Zone 6a)

FarmerDill-

When you say " In heavy soil they do much better planted on a list about 12 -16 inches wide and 6 inches above ground level."

Are you saying to make a long mound, about 6 inches above the soil line, and plant the shoots on one side? So that the taters grow in the mound?

Just looking for clarification. My sweet taters were so tough to dig, and I skewered too many this past harvest. I'm very interested in alternative planting methods that would help next year!

Thanks-

Augusta, GA(Zone 8a)

Wxactly, except set the plants in the the middle of the list (long mound). When digging just stick a fork ( I use a pitchfork, but a spading fork will also work) into the ground on each side of mound. pry up gently. This usually losses the plant sufficiently to grasp the plant at its base and pull plant, potatoes and all from the ground. A large patch of course is plowed up with a middle buster.

Windsor, CT(Zone 6a)

Got it! Thanks so much-

Lincoln, AL

I have some plastic barrels and have been promised some soil to try. Thanks for all your help on this subject.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.