Please help ID tiny plant destroying worm/caterpillar

(Karen) Frankston, TX(Zone 8a)

Edited: I have added a picture below. Had to use super ultra Macro to film it it was so tiny

Sorry I have no picture. These pests were so tiny I don't even think my camera has the zoom capacity to take one.

I sprayed every plant until soaking, dripping wet with Neem before transporting to the greenhouse last week. I noticed several days ago that some of the leaves on my 4 Joseph's Coat Party Time Alternantha plants were turning white and falling off. I just ignored it as environmental shock from the move.

Last night I noticed that many of the leaves had become discolored---and were turning completely white, almost like they were somehow becoming bleached. The tissue of the leaves were dryish, or crisped. You could see the "skeleton", or veins of the leaf itself but every ounce of leaf tissue in between the skeleton was eaten. Other leaves were all chewed, like regular caterpillar damage.

I discovered that the plants were badly infested with the teeniest, tiniest worms/caterpillars I've ever seen. As in, almost needed reading glasses to find them. Of course, the worms were black/brown, some with a tiny tinge of green, because they were all full, but every one of them was the exact same size, none bigger, or smaller, all uniform. I tore through the plants and squished every one I could find but am still freaked out and need to spray something. Please someone help me ID this pest.

This message was edited Oct 31, 2008 8:42 AM

photo

Thumbnail by darkmoondreamer
mid central, FL(Zone 9a)

could be sawfly larvae. cut those plants back and destroy the cuttings. the plants will come back fine. i use dr.bronner's castile soap and water spray to kill everything. bt will work on most cats but not sawfly larvae. it might be worth a try to sprinkle dipel dust (bt) on them and see what happens.

Thank you trackinsand! Your guess was dead on! I googled and the photo was the same as what I have, and I found this information which fits my description of the leaf damage to a tee! sawflies produce damage called skeletonization by chewing away a layer of the leaf except for the veins. The thin layer remaining turns clear or brown and the uneaten veins appear like a skeleton. I've already sprayed with Sevin.

mid central, FL(Zone 9a)

you're welcome. glad to help.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.