How I make seed packets, Slightly off topic

College Station, TX(Zone 8b)

Here is the link to how I make seed packets, be warned, lots of pictures there!

http://toolmakingart.com/2008/10/30/seed-packets/

Bob

Thumbnail by throneofyord
Bluffton, SC(Zone 9a)

Have you checked this out? http://davesgarden.com/files/seedpackets/

That's pretty nice.

I did at one time map out a picture and instructions for a few of the ones I fold, but it ended up being a lot of extra work, so laziness won.;)

Bob

Fort Worth, TX(Zone 8a)

That's pretty cool! I like that 'envelope'.

This is a very ancient pattern that apothecaries used for powders. In Europe some of them still use it. The convenience of being able to quickly throw a packet together that works, out of paper, is quite convenient when you find a sudden opportunity to gather seed,

Bob

Bluffton, SC(Zone 9a)

Fun you said that I have actually been somewhere where they warped up herbs like that. Didn't think of it until you said it.

I print mine off from http://www.blossomswap.com/envelopes.html

This message was edited Oct 31, 2008 9:30 AM

GA, GA(Zone 7b)

I use this method to a love it!

Like you said, it is especially handy for spontaneous seed grabbing. Any scrap of paper you can find, like an old receipt, can become a secure seed packet with no tape or anything. Also, since it is paper, the moisture can escape and the fresh seeds don't become moldy like they can in plastic.

That's interesting about the history of the method. I never knew where it came from but just copied some seed packs I received in a trade years ago. The only difference is that I make my first fold the opposite way and end up with a packet that is a little more square. I've found that the flaps stay tucked in a little better that way. In fact, I have a pile of these little packet's full of this year's seed harvest next to me right now!

Thumbnail by Danita

The fat square package holds a bit more for volume for the amount of paper, I switched to long and slender because it fits more neatly in an envelope for mailing, and I like how a bunch can fit in a jar.

Bob

Eagle, ID

Hey thanks!

I have been cutting, stapeling, and taping. That was quick and easy. Wonderful

Pawleys Island, SC

Thanks for posting that one, I like it. Linda

Chesapeake, VA

I have been going crazy making these things. I even carried them into work and showed my co-workers...

You know those Goodie headache powders...they already have the first two folds in their wrappers...all I have to do is clip them a bit so they won't be too long, then fold the ends...

It is hard being an obsessive/compulsive seed collector...

Chesapeake, VA

Actually, I saw an episode of X-files in which Mulder said, "Always carry a bag of sunflower seeds when you're going around vampires. All vampires are obsessive-compulsive. Just throw the seeds on the floor. They will HAVE to pick them up..."

So...if you're obsessive-compulsive about picking up seeds, then either you're a vampire or...a member of the Seed Forum at DG!

I personally prefer to throw tobacco seeds, no chance at all of them picking them all up before dawn. ;)

Bob

Post a Reply to this Thread

You must log in and subscribe to Dave's Garden to post in this thread.