Commander Moxon's Nankin Hatch

Oxford, NS(Zone 5b)

Woo hoo! Commander Moxon is excited and pleased to report the successful hatching of 2 Nankin life forms! Where are my fluffing crews?! These kids need some fluffin'

I have never hatched nankins before and I do think these are the tiniest chicks I have ever seen. There are presently 2 more pipped and 5 other eggs not pipped. Hoping for some more pips today!

Thumbnail by DrDoolotz
Oxford, NS(Zone 5b)

I'm not sure what their color will be - the seller had one picture on his ad, and it was a red color roo. Any guesses on color?

Thumbnail by DrDoolotz
(Tia) Norman, OK(Zone 7a)

SW reporting in, OH just how cute and tiny.
Great job Commander!!!!

Bessemer, AL(Zone 8b)

Captan Jordan reporting for duty.
How sweet commander!

Jacksonville, FL(Zone 8b)

Whuu Huu ! great new life form!!!!! Doing the hatching dance !!!!!

Oxford, NS(Zone 5b)

Thanks all! Keep up with the hatching dance! I want to keep those pips coming!

Bessemer, AL(Zone 8b)

still doing the hatching dance

Lodi, United States

They are tiny! Mine were too. And kinda ugly at first.

They are second only to Serama in tiniestitude:0) The pullets should be a solid buffy gold color--the roos are more colorful, more orangey with black accents. There is a website somewhere where breeders discuss getting the right shadings and the suprisingly numerous genes controlling it.

Gotta go away for the day with boss--will attempt covert dancing.

Oxford, NS(Zone 5b)

Doing the hatching dance at work, here. I hope the 2 pips might be chicks by the time I get home this evening. I refuse to even consider the concept that any chicks are "kinda ugly at first." Catscan, you clearly need new glasses (or contacts).

Tiniestitude - such a delighful newly coined word! I shall use it liberally! (not that this has anything to do with my being a liberal, which I am, but chicks don't care)

So based on your observations, I guess I have 2 roos? Hmmm...I'd prefer a couple of pullets next! Please commence pullet hatching dance!

Anybody have any cupcakes? Our Kitchen Protocol Officer is AWOL....

Bessemer, AL(Zone 8b)

throwing chocolate cupcake to you commander

Oxford, NS(Zone 5b)

Woo hoo! Cupcakes a plenty! (munching on choccie cupcake....yum!)

Bessemer, AL(Zone 8b)

enjoy commander

(Zone 7b)

Congratulations are in order those are cute babys and i've never seen a ugly chick.
I've thought of getting some nankins theres a breeder here in my area i will watch the professional chicken hatcher Claire and see how yours grow.
Good Luck with your pips got my wings crossed.

Dunnellon, FL(Zone 9a)

MTO-musicnotes reporting for duty (haha--I said doodie!)
ahem- anyhoo, all computers are locked, loaded and synchronized for all pictures to be viewed in full color, Major.

One thing I need to know to make everything perfect: What is a nankin?? I must admit...they sure are cute :)

~MTO music

Lodi, United States

NPGC covert dancing maneuvers completed.

Link for exotic alien life force genetics to follow:

http://rarepoultryalliance.com/index.php?topic=58.0

Oxford, NS(Zone 5b)

MTO Musicnotes - please read up on Nankin life forms and have a full report ready at O-eight hundred hours tomorrow morning. Please include detailed genetic analysis per link provided by NPGC Major Catscan.

http://www.feathersite.com/Poultry/CGK/Nankin/BRKNankin.html

Newton, AL

cute babies. How do you keep them warm thru the winter??

(Zone 7b)

Claire how are the pips?

Oxford, NS(Zone 5b)

The pips are doing great! I had a 3rd hatch and then 2 more pips, plus I have a pipped silkie, which is very exciting!

Here are the three hatchlings together. I am most intrigued by their color differences. Note that the one furthest to the left has various dark markings on its back and head, and has a brownish/gold cast overall. The middle one towards the top of the photo has a greyish cast overall and less defined back markings, but still a spot on its head. Then the third and most recent hatch is nearly all gold color with a small dark head mark. What this all means, I have no idea, but it's very interesting!

Thumbnail by DrDoolotz
Oxford, NS(Zone 5b)

Two more nankins hatched overnight. Very odd - one is quite dark grey. I have to wait for it to dry before I can take pics. The other is sort of similar to the others. Oh, plus I had a silkie hatch - I think it's a black one.

Still a pipped nankin egg to go!

(Zone 7b)

Very cute!!!!

Lodi, United States

Odd-mine were all pale with two spots on their head--on two the spots were darker and almost ran together like a stripe. I remeber two were darker gold than the others. I'll see if I can find pictures.

Okay, the little gold ones are the Nankins.

Thumbnail by Catscan
Salem Cnty, NJ(Zone 7b)

So sorry for being AWOL for awhile. Piping in to say Nankin chicks are ADORABLE.
Reporting that I'll not be on active duty as much. ( Can you do that in the military- just be part-time?) I'll try to check in periodically.
Much success with the hatching!!

Oxford, NS(Zone 5b)

Hope you are feeling better these days, KPO Jan! Happy to have you part time!

edited for typo

This message was edited Oct 31, 2008 3:54 PM

Oxford, NS(Zone 5b)

They're all out, and there is one that is dark grey! A total of 6. Here is the dark one.

Thumbnail by DrDoolotz
Oxford, NS(Zone 5b)

OK kids, everybody get in the eggmobile....

Little Johnny, get in your seat and stop pecking your sister.

Martha, go sit down.

(check out all the different head spots!)

Thumbnail by DrDoolotz
Oxford, NS(Zone 5b)

MOM, he's in MY seat!

Am not.

MOOOOMMMM!

Thumbnail by DrDoolotz

Cute life forms. At lest you will be able to tell them apart.

Oxford, NS(Zone 5b)

Oh gross.....Mom....Johnny just got carsick...

I don't wanna sit there any more.

Mom....why is it green, Mom?

Can I catch it?

Thumbnail by DrDoolotz
(Zone 7b)

Oh Claire you make me smile i have been in a depression all day and just like that i'm smileing.
Good to see the paper cartons those can be recycled and the chicks are so cute.

Oxford, NS(Zone 5b)

Just so you know, they didn't hatch in the carton - I just used it to position them for a photo! I thought it was cute because they are so tiny that they fit in the cups with no problem! It's hard to get them all to be still otherwise because they run like they are on batteries! They hatched in the R-Com 20. Just on their sides like normal. I use the paper cartons to rest the mailed eggs for a bit before they go into the bator, so I have them sitting around near the brooder lamps.

Sorry to hear you have been depressed Harmony. It happens to the best of us. But you have much to be thankful for - you have vaccinated all your birds to make them safe, you have baby pigeons and doves who are so beautiful, you have friends on DG, and you have the cutest blue itty bitties ever! Even when things are bad, there are other things to think about and feel good about. Of course, when I get depressed, I can't find any of them!

I hope nobody thinks the chick actually got sick - for anyone who doesn't know, a chick's first couple of poops are kind of greenish. One of them pooped while I was taking photos. But when I saw that photo, it just made me laugh.

(Zone 7b)

Yes the first poops are really strange when i hatched my first chicks i thought something was wrong but found out it was normal.

I just get depressed this time of year everybody is getting ready for the holidays and all my family 2 sisters and mama & daddy have all passed on and i miss them all i have are my memorys and they make me cry.

Not to worry arbor mist to the rescue LOL

You have us. We understand.

(Tia) Norman, OK(Zone 7a)

I know depression real well, what I find that helps is to go out and just talk to the chickens , today I was out there and they were under my feet like 300 kindergarten children, I had to say excuse me, pardon me, watch out, oh no I am so sorry well get out from under my feet...............

Anyone else having the lady bug looking things problem, I was attacked by them all day today. These are not the cute red and black ones they are orange.

Oxford, NS(Zone 5b)

Oh Harmony, that's sad. I kind of know how you feel because although I still have my parents now, they are in their 70s and I have no siblings, so one of these days I will be by myself for the holidays too. I mean, I will have friends or Kelly around, but it's not the same, is it. And plus, they live in Canada, so I don't even get to spend Christmas with them every year. I was there 2 years ago. I am not sure if I can go this year because we are expecting goat births in December. We'll see. I try to see them once a year but we phone and email all the time.

Oxford, NS(Zone 5b)

Oh Luvs, we are INUNDATED with those ladybugs. They come around the back door frame. We had about 200 in the hallway (indoors!) this week. It is AWFUL!

Please do not send them south. We have enough bugs!!!!LOL

(Zone 7b)

Well i went out and cleaned the poop out of my pigeon pens and watched my doves i petted peace hes my favorite pigeon and he will stay with me he will not be sold.

Then this evening went to the store got some chocolate and some arbor mist and i feel a little better.

Claire i have friends and my DH still has his but theres just nothing like your own crazy family and mine was a doozy.

Oxford, NS(Zone 5b)

My entire blood related family is this:

me
my mom
my dad
3 cousins (from my mom's sister)
my mom has 1 cousin and he has a wife and son
my dad has a cousin but isn't in touch

That's it. Completely. My mom's sister is dead and her husband too, so just the kids are left, and they all live in England, same with my parents' cousins. So it is only ever me and my parents, and they are in Canada and I am here. So sometimes it is really lonely and I wish I had a sibling or something.

(Zone 7b)

I'll be your chicken sis Claire ;)

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.