Will Be Setting - up My EBs Soon AS Weather Allows? Part II

Auburn, AL(Zone 8a)

We came from here...

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/908768/

Pembroke Pines, FL(Zone 10a)

WOW! That was fast? Thanks. Waiting for Bocabobs coir packs. Beautiful day again today but it looked like one of my Sungolds had that dreaded tylcv or whatever you called it. Dumped it immeadiately and sprayed again.

Auburn, AL(Zone 8a)

I am waiting with fingers crossed for my TGS catalog but pretty much already have my list made. IO1 and I will go through the seeds when I get to Valdosta. Can't wait for the trip OR to start my seedlings. I didn't do a fall crop due to health and I'm dying for tomatoes.

Boca Raton, FL(Zone 10a)

Tplant - Coconut Coir shipment has arrived. I spent most of last night organizing it in my warehouse i.e. moving it around. I'll be uploading all the info in the marketplace today I hope. How about me coming down to your house this Saturday?

BocaBob

Thumbnail by BocaBob

Saturday would be fine around noon or so? What are the dimensions?

Boca Raton, FL(Zone 10a)

Tplant - Saturday around noon is great. I'll call you. I'm up and running in the market place!!!!!!!!!!!!! Check me out in the supplies section.

BocaBob

Hey Everyone! I now have a self-contained water system for my EBs and now brand new Coco Coir Bags thanks to Bocabob. We met face to face today an I must say he is a very kind and polite gentleman to say the least! There he is in the background finishing up the self-watering system which took less than an hour to set up! This will save me a lot of pain on days when my plants must be watered and I'm hurting to much to do so...No more will they be neglected as they are set on a timer to be watered twice a day. This will really come in handy when March comes and I plant my watermelons which are demanding gluttons for water. He also gave me two long bags and two of the five gallon bags as I will show you.

This message was edited Nov 1, 2008 4:47 PM

Thumbnail by Tplant

All this coir came from one small bulk pack of coco coir. Enough to fill one EB, one five gallon gro bag and still almost enough to half way fill this twenty gallon container. I was totally amazed but the best part is it does not require dolomite lime until perhaps next season or so as the PH is between 5.5 to 6.3 which is perfect for all tomatoes and veggies. This in itself saves me the trouble of buying the dolomite like I've told you in 5 lb bags @ $4.00 for five lbs which is a plus. Two bulk bags would easily fill three EBs.! It actually has me thinking as it is so light to handle compared to any bag of container mix that I just might switch to it come March or even sooner as it is much easier for me to work with and it is time to change the mix after four years.It will be far, far easier to lift because of my disabilities. ( Lord knows I have enough of them) We'll see how things grow as right now I'm going to use the EB for stringbeans and hope to plant the seed today but my ankle is bothering me (PPS) again and it is very painful for me to walk.

Thumbnail by Tplant

Here Bob is showing how light and clean it is and also by the way it is 100% organic which I like. Unlike peat it absorbs the water immeadieately which is a big plus when filling an EB. I think he may be on to something and may even convert me from my old regular Jungle Growth? It sure is far, far lighter to handle as I can carry at least two or three bulk packs with ease and that is enough to fill six EBs plus where as JG weighs about fifty lbs per bag. I'm not plugging Bob as some of you may think but am just reporting the facts as things are changeing in the gardening world everyday and we are here to help each other and this can be a great relief to my accessible gardening friends. Take my word for it as I tell it like it is!

This message was edited Nov 1, 2008 4:50 PM

Thumbnail by Tplant

I have a couple of things that must be done right now so I'm out of time but I will be back on later.

This pack does not have water in it as of yet as when it does it is supposed to be about the same size as an EB. Here he is showing me the way to put three tiny slits in the bottom to allow for water drainage. As for planting you do it the same way as an EB! I am a lucky guy to have the two best growing methods as the coir bags have most certainly proven to be factual as per Bob's growing experience and photos. I will definetly be buying some more of the bulk coir for my roses and also for the pre-cooled tulips that I will be planting in December.
I suggested that he acquire the white five gallon bags for the hot southern states come summer time. I know down here I will need white if available.

Thumbnail by Tplant
Gainesville, FL(Zone 9a)

Im off to the marketplace. Been waiting the shipment. The pictures have me even more excited.
Thanks for posting them,

Now all I have to worry about is this curious little but very lovable "IMP" pulling out the lines to see if they are working?

Thumbnail by Tplant

You are welcome Gardenglory! It is fun for me also as I always like to experiment with something new but with this experimenting is not required. A lot of us are looking for the proper mix and not finding it or end up buying the wrong product. If they can grow veggies on straw bales this coconut coir is far superior and no odor or fertilizer exactly what the EB people actually require but try to find a growing mix without fertilizer? All I did was add my usual and dependable 10-10-10 and that's it. Bob is really on to something and I can say I knew him when?
I have a lot to be grateful for this coir as it is so light to work with, until water is added, that I can move it around without pain or straining. I've never said anything before because I did not want any sympathy from anyone but with PPS the more you strain the worse it gets and the worst part for me was lugging the JG mix that I have used for years. Now all I lug is a measly 10 lb bulk pak which I can easily handle.
I must admit I was apprehensive at first because it sounded to good to be true but seeing Bob's results got me very interested and worth any investment to relieve my pain so I can once again enjoy my gardening! I may just be saying "bye bye Jungle Growth!" Pictured below is the Jungle Growth in one of my EBs. There is a big difference.

Thumbnail by Tplant

Got my three bags of coco coir mix today but will have to wait till tomorrow to renew four EBs. I'll take some more pictures. What the heck if they can grow tomatos in straw bales I'm certain the coconut coir will be just great as the texture is excellent.

Auburn, AL(Zone 8a)

Is this cheaper than soil? Also how long will it last in the eb's? Do you order it or is it available at Lowe's, Home Depot etc. We have to change out soil in 5 to 8 EB's in the spring and I'd love to know how this does.

araness -- Did I read you say the NO-NO WORD? SOIL?? You do mean mix of course. LOL It is about the same price but as stated you don't need lime, at least not for the first season that I know of. I do like the fine consistencty as the roots should love it. It is way smoother than JG or MG. I'll be filling four EBs tomorrow and will post on my thread and let ya'll know but personally I think it is perfect. One block (12 lbs) fills 11/2 EBs but it is so easy to handle which is a blessing to my shoulders. As far as the ordering go to our Marketplace and punch in coco coir. No one else has it and the price is right. Believe me I will give it an extreme test and if it works and is still available that is all I'll use. It will be excellent for my roses also or any container plants. I think I'll try them for my tulips also?? Never thought of that till now? Can't grow anything in the ground here because of nemotodes. Everything must be grown in containers. Don't know how anyone can down here. Roses last two years in-ground and die.
I live on school grounds down here so there are always a lot of parents with their children and they stop buy asking how come my roses, when in bloom, are so beautiful and I tell them because of the container growing and they say to expensive for the container or to much work? Weird but I appreciate their compliments like every good gardener would. My joy is giving a cut rose to a child to give to his mother. The expression is priceless! Sorry to rant but I just wanted to share the joy of gardening with you and others.

Dallas, TX(Zone 8a)

Tplant, are you saying that you are substituting the coconut coir for potting mix (JG or MG) in your Earth Boxes, and everything else remains the same (except for no lime)? Still using the bottom reservoir with wicking and top fertilizer strip?

Yes! I have been watching BocBobs results and have decided to do just that for the reasons mentioned although I still have half my EBs with JG I feel the coconut coir may be superior and far easier to to work with as it comes in these small 10-12 lb blocks an price is about the same. Besides a lot of you can't find a good quality container mix so I thought I'd give it a try! I'll be working with four EBs today and if weather allows as it is very cloudy and damp today and not very good for my osteoarthritis. If I can I'll take pictures. I know it is a big move for me but I'm always open for better products to use in my EBs. Just to stop lugging those heavy bags of container mix makes a difference for me...

This message was edited Nov 4, 2008 9:51 AM

Gainesville, FL(Zone 9a)

I agree. I just ordered some. Altho it wont be any less expensive than the JG. I have to wait or ask for help to left those huge bags. If I go alone, I have to get two of the large bags instead. Then to have to take them out of the car, get ito them and dump them, etc. its alot of work. I am very excited to try these. With me, and I know it sounds wierd. Its not my shoulders, its my eyes. I had catarac surgery this year, if I lift something heavy, my eyes get like the compass my grandfather used to have in his car, that just bobbed around in the water, lol. Its nuts. Since I think Im having a stroke everytime it happens ;-o, Im trying to avoid bending and lifting really heavy stuff at the same time.
The sun really fries your eyes, where that protection!

Dallas, TX(Zone 8a)

Tplant, sounds good, looking forward to getting your reports on the coir. Was wondering if you will pack the wicking chambers with the coir and apply the same amount of fertilizer along a strip on top.

gardenglory -- My goodness if I would have known that you had that kind of problem I would have driven up there to help you. Between the two of us we would have both been taken to the emergency room but hey? LOL Seriously though, this sounds perfect for you as you are talking 10 lbs or so? I also have the eyegalsses that filter the light accoringly like sun glasses.

Fiddle -- Will do exactly the same way. No difference except the coir must be moistened in a wheelbarrow or cut the block in half and wet thoroughly as one pack is to much for one Eb.You wet it it and then add to eb just like before. Do not set it in EB and then add water as you would not do this with container mix anyway.

Mid-Cape, MA(Zone 7a)

Tplant, I am very excited about using coir from BocaBob in my EBs next summer. ( I was the one who had trouble finding good potting mix last summer.) Please keep us all posted on your fall/winter results!!

Dallas, TX(Zone 8a)

Tplant, thanks, good luck with your trials.

Mixed one EB today as the weather turned beautiful in the afternoon. I put the coir block in a large container as I don't have a wheelbarrow and started to fill with water. It absorbed it immeadieately and started to break down into a pliable and workable mix which I then used to pack the corners first like you are supposed to do with the EBs. Unfortuneately this was one of my original EBs and I wanted it for my Sungold and use the EB stand so I guess I'll just have to stake them? No big deal!!

Thumbnail by Tplant

All of these so far have the coir mix. I planted lettuce bush stringbeans and as you can see eggplant. Still have one empty EB and have not decided what to do? Will be cleaning out one or two more Ebs tomorrow. I will check the Florida Planting Guide to see what does best in my zone at this season?
The cedar containers of course are not included!

This message was edited Nov 4, 2008 7:08 PM

Thumbnail by Tplant
Boca Raton, FL(Zone 10a)

Lookin good Tplant, did you let enough water absord into the coir? It keeps taking on water for a while until its totally soaked, then drains off any excess.

BocaBob

This is about the only time my helper now helps me when he gets a chance to play in my mix and yes Bob as the container does not have the drain hole open.

Thumbnail by Tplant

And also my helper loves to play with water and believe me the coir has been drowned if he is doing it? LOL

Thumbnail by Tplant

One thing I never have to worry about when he is around and that is the fact that there is never a water shortage when he works with me...

Crestview, FL

TPlant and Boca Bob: Question here, do you reuse the bags year after year, or do you need to buy new ones?
joy112854

On a previous thread Bob explained that it can be used for years but I'm sure he will elaborate when he gets a chance...

Boca Raton, FL(Zone 10a)

joy112854 - Tplant is correct, as long as you don't have any diseased plants thet would spread to new ones, you should be able to reuse the bag and coconut coir for quite a few years.

BocaBob

Mid-Cape, MA(Zone 7a)

BocaBob, I"m looking forward to being one of your customers with my next EB "crop"--but my immediate question relates to your statement above about plant diseases that would necessitate discarding the coir. I'm such a newbie to growing veggies that I never know that this means exactly. Does it mean all fungal diseases (mildwew, black spot, etc.) and also problems like squash vine borer? Do these caterpillars overwinter in the soil around the plant?
Thanks in advance.

Crestview, FL

BocaBob: Thanks.
joy112854

No! It pertains to soil problems which you should not have any as the coir is sterile and the cover keeps out most problems. To the best of my knowledge mildew, black spot, etc occour from watering or spraying (sprinklers) directly especially in the evening whereas the leaves never get a chance to dry off. Just like the old days whereas you would never hang your laundry out to dry at night, unless you lived in the desert because it won't dry!

Mid-Cape, MA(Zone 7a)

Thanks, Tplant!! I appreciate your knowledge. Sounds like soil nematodes wouldn't be a problem either, even when you re-use the coir.
You're aware that I'm having zone-envy big time because you get to grow your self-containted box gardens almost all year 'round, and I have to wait till next summer ;-(
Oh well. I'm going to do a lot of planning for my coir bags and EBs this winter!

Boca Raton, FL(Zone 10a)

Thanks Tplant for that info. I'm too new to help out in that area.

BocaBob

I know the feeling only to well as I lived in NY for forty years and the winters did seem long especially when you were a boatman and gardener as I was. Don't be to envious as I had a lot of prepareation work to do today which is far more laborious than fun. My neighbors shrubs keep growing through our chain link fence and about every other month I must trim 120' of fence line which I find to be no fun as it threatens my roses by over growing them. Wish I could spray those darn hedges with weed killer as I don't need the extra work. I have tried a diluted weed killer and it does not kill them but does slow the growth on my side. They are Fica shrubs and if not taken care of will grow to fifty foot trees and that would ruin me as they would block the afternoon sun. Thank goodness they have lawn maintaince people that at least trim the other side. Unfortuneately, unlike my former friendly neighbors , this family is just the opposite and don't like me growing veggies because they say they attract rats. I live in the suburbs and not the slums and you have seen pictures of my garden and it is always clean and I have never had any varmint problems but the women is set in her ways as she comes from a country that was heavily infested with them and so did I as I lived in the slums as a child and there were rats everywhere. She is just plain ignorant and will not listen to reason. Would you believe me if I told you during the threat of hurricane Katrina she wanted me to take down my chimney as she was concerned it would land on her Mexican Tile roof which is the worst roof to have for hurricane protection. How do you go about taking down a chimney? Sorry to rave on but this is what I have to contend with.
Tomorrow I will sweep up the clippings and use the drip irrigation system to water them as Bocabob has showed me. Alot of work for me but once done my tasks will be much easier and the rewards worthwhile.

Boca Raton, FL(Zone 10a)

I forgot to ask you Tplant, how were the cucumbers?

BocaBob

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.