Gaillardia - Arizona Sun or Goblin

Leesburg, FL(Zone 9b)

What's the difference?

They seem very similar.

the colors are quite similar
when i looked up the data on Daves and on other garden site... they both say "short" for height.

The ones i have in my garden, i thought were Goblin due to the coloring, but they are taller, maybe 18-24" high

and it does seem mine, are not "mounding" habit.... though i'd have to take a closer look.

I found an image that i had posted... so this is basically what mine look like.
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/fp.php?pid=4360094

I've gone thru the Plant Files images, and some look alike, and others look different.

Any input would be great,

thank,

Terese

Dublin, CA(Zone 9a)

Goblin is a little taller than Arizona Sun, although height can always vary due to cultural conditions so I don't know that you'd necessarily be guaranteed that it's one or the other just based on that. But since you said yours are 18-24 inches and Goblin is supposed to be 18" and AS is supposed to be 12", I think Goblin's probably a more likely bet. But I noticed in your pic that you said you grew them from seed, so if that's the case it might not be a particular cultivar.

Hendersonville, NC(Zone 7a)

Terese, I'm just guessing, but I have a lot of 'Goblin' and no 'Arizona Sun,' and this doesn't look quite like 'Goblin,' so I'd say AS. 'Goblin' seems to have a wider perimeter band of yellow and a narrower band of red than in your photo. I truly love this plant: this year it flowered starting in late May and is still flowering now. Can't get more flower power than that. It creates quite a few seedlings surrounding the parent plant, which makes me happy since I have a whole lot of bare ground to cover; and if you run out of room, they are easy to transplant and you have some to share! And the butterflies and bees love it! Enjoy-
Ruth

(bestest fairy)Tempe, MI(Zone 5b)

Hmmm-the one I got as Goblin hasn't gottne taller than 12"-maybe it was mismarked??

Leesburg, FL(Zone 9b)

Fairy -- from what i've read on "Goblin", it is supposed to be a "neat, compact, short" plant.

When i googled it, [in my quest] i went to various "nursery" sites, looked at pics and read descriptions.

I also wonder if growing conditions makes a difference too.

THe first ones i grew came in a large packet of "wild flower" seeds... then the other night, i noticed a lil baggie from the last piggy swap, and the label said "Arizona Sun" -- a gal had asked me for some "Goblin" seeds... that is when i started questioning what i actually had.

A few days later, i think i actually found a "Burgandy" out there too... *yay*

To me.., it really doenst make a difference, but if someone is looking for a particular seed... i wanna make sure i give them what they asked for... it did seem, to this gal -- it didnt matter... she just wanted Gaillardia.

I also wonder if the whole "Open Pollination" thing will have anything to do with it.....

Terese

I am wondering myself-the one I have is about10-12" and a little mound of never ending blooms this summer-one of my fave plants this whole season!! If you look up Goblin you will see my pic in the PF

sorry-meant my tradelist:

http://davesgarden.com/community/trading/list.php?list=have&member=Fairy1004&offset=160

Leesburg, FL(Zone 9b)

My flowers are similar, if not the same... but the "plant" itself is not mounding, more like the way coneflowers are... longer stems with flowers at the end.

I would have snapped a photo, but the flowers are just about gone, and now, i'm not even at home.

I'll see what condition they are in when i get back.

**edited to add.....

I just finished looking at your Haves List... and mine are more like the Indian Blanket (Gaillardia x grandiflora)

This message was edited Nov 1, 2008 9:44 AM

Nilwood, IL(Zone 5b)

I have all differant colors but my Goblin is short and mounded. The others get leggy and fall over but are pretty. I have gobs of seed. HEE HEE hint hint!!!! BEV
It is mixed seed.

Thumbnail by dragonfly62
Nilwood, IL(Zone 5b)

I even have yellow.

Thumbnail by dragonfly62
Leesburg, FL(Zone 9b)

hey Bev.... can ya toss some of those "Goblin" seeds in my envie?? *wink*

**edited

OK -- toss in a MIX.

nice variety of colors.

This message was edited Nov 1, 2008 9:49 AM

Bev-is it Oranges and Lemons?? I have seed from that one-I seperated my Goblin, Burguindy, Fanfare, Oranges and lemons and Sundance Bicolcor

Nilwood, IL(Zone 5b)

I think it is supposed to be oranges and lemons because I did buy one but where is the oranges? BEV I have a burgandy too just love it.

The outside rim should be orange-it isn't a bright orange, but you do notice the contrast..

Nilwood, IL(Zone 5b)

I don't think this had an orange rim just all yellow. We will see next yr. BEV

hmmm-is it Golden Goblin??

Nilwood, IL(Zone 5b)

I don't know. I just thew out a bunch of seeds and got a bunch of colors. BEV

Leesburg, FL(Zone 9b)

>>I just thew out a bunch of seeds and got a bunch of colors.

LOL -- I do that too with a bunch of seeds. I like the hodge podge willy nilly look.

Hendersonville, NC(Zone 7a)

The Goblins here range from 12-18" in height, depending on sun; with more sun they get a bit taller, but all have mounding habit. We've had several nights below freezing already, and the whole garden looks wretched, reminding me to get out there and clean up; but the little Goblins are still flowering and looking great. Love the yellow one, Terri; never saw that before. Planted some Burgundy seedlings this fall, and hope they'll do their thing next year.
Ruth

(Lynn) Omaha, NE(Zone 5a)

I don't think it's Goblin.The edges of the flowers don't look "raggedy" enough.Here,
it is a low mounder and doesn't have long stems.

Lynn

Leesburg, FL(Zone 9b)

thanks Lynn... i'm leaning towards Indian Blanket

Leesburg, FL(Zone 9b)

OK -- i'm back home now, and the lil bugger still has some blooms.

here is the Plant, plus an insert of a flower.

you can see... it's sorta tall [Agastach is next to it] and has Flax mixed in....

Thumbnail by tcs1366

I think you are right-Indian Balnket:)

(Lynn) Omaha, NE(Zone 5a)

This is Arizona Sun

http://www.siemenliikesiren.fi/gaillardia.jpg

Your plant looks to tall for either Goblin or Arizona Sun.

This message was edited Nov 2, 2008 2:52 PM

Leesburg, FL(Zone 9b)

thank Lynn --- I did search/compare those two exclusively when i began my quest.... then when i went to Fairy's have list.. that is what led me to Indian Blanket.

so -- i will leave it at that unless someone states otherwise. :-)

thanks all.

Terese

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.