What am I?

Concord, CA(Zone 9a)

HI,
I have this plant I had no idea what it is. I may have started it from seed. I did go through a phase where I ordered and planted every seed I could think of and lots I had no idea about. lol
I posted this plant on the id forum and it was identified as a beaumontia. I'm pretty sure at this point that its not that. Here is a picture of the fruit. I should also add that the fruit smells heavenly.
Linda

Thumbnail by LindaCA
Concord, CA(Zone 9a)

Here is a picture of the fruit after I cut it.

Thumbnail by LindaCA
Concord, CA(Zone 9a)

Last one here is a picture of part of the plant
Thanks for the help
Linda

Thumbnail by LindaCA
(Deb) Pensacola, FL(Zone 8a)

Hi LindaCA;

That is a Guava.

Concord, CA(Zone 9a)

Thank you so much for the reply. I have a strawberry guava growing in my yard and didn't even think they could be related. This is the best smelling fruit I have even smelled. My whole kitchen smell good just from having the fruit sitting there.
I don't remember planting this but obviously I did. most likely from seed. Also I am amazed at how fast it grows.
I wonder if this will survive outside here. zone 9.
Thanks again
Linda

Yes; it will survive in zone 9. I'm originally from Guam and the tree is all over the place.

Deb

Concord, CA(Zone 9a)

How do I clean the seed from this fruit?
Did I mention that this fruit smells wonderful!
Linda

You can scope it out with a spoon or like we do in Guam; we just eat the whole thing.

Deb

If you have enough to process, get a Food Mill. Great for tomato sauce as well.

Link to some that cost $100(!!!) but I got one for around thirty, which I still thought was pricey.

http://www.chefsresource.com/searchresult.html?query=food+mill&x=0&y=0

Pasadena, CA(Zone 9b)

You know - you are right, the Strawberry Guava looks completely different. The leaves are a darker green, and look more like a privet than anything tropical. The bark gets shredy and reddish, though, so I love that look! I'm told the fruits are small, but tasty. I just got mine in the ground last week. Seems to be a really easygoing plant.

Concord, CA(Zone 9a)

Jungleman, you are right I have a strawberry guave and they look completely different. Thats why I had no idea this one was also a guava. My strawberry guava is in the ground and is real easy to grow. I does well in my zone 9. All I do is water it in the summer and I get lots of fruit. The fruit is small and seedy but a great taste, well worth growing.
I am trying to decide if I should plant the reg guava in the ground or leave it in a pot. Its about 7 feet tall in the pot. (a pretty small pot at that).
Linda

Everything you wanted to know about Guavas:

http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/MG045

Guavas don't come true from seed, you just might have something new!! They have a lot of close relatives.

If the plant dissappears from your yard, you'll have to come retrieve it from my yard!! Your description is irresistable.

Geneva, FL(Zone 9b)

They make awesome jam!!!!!

Nassau County, NY(Zone 7a)

Yummmie i miss guavas, well "GUAYABAS:! I can buy them here in China Town in NYC but it is not the same like in my native Central American country. Enjoy your plants and fruits! Wish i could grow them here, sniff sniff!

Clemen you can grow them indoors too.

Pearl you think they would survive my cold winters indoors??? I am tempted to order one from Logees this season, they have a dwarf one that could come indoors. I have no greenhouse though!

The dwarf one might be able to survive indoors as long as they not over-watered or feed. Just give them the normal rest time.

So you are giving me hopes??? i wonder though if the fruit tastes good, you know I hate spending the money and the fruit being good for NADA!!! NOTHING!!!!, lol!

If it doesn't bear fruit you will have a nice specimen for a house plant.

It bears fruit, let me look at the catalogue and I will let you know what species it is, thank you for helping, lol, this is not my thread sorry Linda I invaded it!

Concord, CA(Zone 9a)

Clemens and everyone, that is absolutely fine. I am learning just reading your posts. The guava I have is a great plant. I didn't know what it was so I just treated it like a subtropical plant. Its is a pot outside most of the year and I moved it under cover for the few cold weeks we get. It rarely gets below 32 here. I love the fruit, I just fell in love with the smell and then the taste. And yes I tasted it before I new what it was. lol .Hopefully I will get more fruit!
Linda

Linda so neat that you got to get a taste for such a tropical plant and fruit. Nothing here in the States tastes like it, very unique I would say. I remember back in my country that the best tasting gauva that i tried came from lebannon, my grandma had gotten a cutting from someone that travelled there, they were tiny guavas and sweet and OMG can never forget the taste. The one you have pictured above, looks like the ones I found in the wild in my country, I remember riding the family horses, going through the jungle and picking the ripe red guavas! ahhhhhhhhhhhhhh memories and good ones! Enjoy yours Linda, boy do I wish and only wish i can experience those childhood memories again!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.