Looking for Shooting Star Hydrangea

Ocean Springs, MS

Does anyone have a source for getting these? Or does anyone have one to trade or trade cuttings? thanks, julie

Hillsborough, NC(Zone 7b)

This was from a gardening magazine: I think GardenWeb

Basically, 'Shooting Star' is a re-named plant that is really Hydrangea macrophylla 'Hanabi'.

A tissue culture firm introduced 'Hanabi' to this country under the name 'Fuji Waterfall'. So H. m. 'Shooting Star' equals H.m. 'Hanabi' equals H.m. 'Fuji Waterfall' and also H. m. 'Fireworks'.

Plant files (Daves Garden) lists vendors that have.

Ocean Springs, MS

Thank you so much! julie

North of Atlanta, GA(Zone 8a)

I saw some at Publix grocery store the other day. They were beautiful. I think I'm going back to get it today. ^_^

Ocean Springs, MS

We don't have a Publix here. How much were they? thanks, julie

20.00 for a small plant. I think I'm going to buy it tonight. I have not seen this cultivar at the plant nursery.

silver spring, MD(Zone 7a)

ooo!ooo! I have one. I bought it at Whole Foods about 6 years ago! Actually I bought two. I planted them in my back yard (zone 5) and they come back every year. This summer the blooms were unbelievable! I really love them.

Ocean Springs, MS

Anyone up to sharing some cuttings? thanks, julie

well, I haven't gotten around to going back to Publix. I hope it's still there.

However, I am not longer trading cuttings. I just had a very recent BAD experience with a rose cuttings trade and I've decided that I am not trading cuttings again, unless it's a cactus or an air plant of some kind. I've also been burned several times this year.

Sorry, I'm not better help. I am sure there are many out there who will be willing to trade. Good luck.

silver spring, MD(Zone 7a)

We're planning on moving this spring/summer and I'm planning on potting up this hydrangea and several other plants ("several"? yeah I said that with a straight face to my husband.) to take with me. I plan to do it before they break dormancy. If I can remember I'll send you a piece. It will be nice to know that atleast part of it will continue if I can't make it survive where we're going. We'll be moving up to either Detroit, Rochester, or Buffalo so it will probably be too cold.

Dublin, CA(Zone 9a)

You may be surprised to hear that those cities are probably in about the same zone you are now or maybe even slightly warmer depending on how close to the water you end up. I think where you are in MO it's about a zone 5b, and all those cities you mention in the 5b/6a range. So as long as you don't mind covering it to keep the buds from freezing it will be fine (which I'm assuming you've already been doing...either that or you've been really lucky if it's bloomed for you)

Ocean Springs, MS

Thank you, yehudith, for the offer. I don't blame you for potting up some of your plants. After Katrina hit and everything "died" from the salt water, I was very surprised to find daylilies and other plants sprouting the next spring. I dug up whatever I could and brought them to my new home. Some survived; some didn't. I've taken cuttings from the tings I couldn't dig up. So, go ahead and take the chance. love, julie

so sad. I went to Publix this morning and the Shooting Star Hydrangea were gone. Oh, well, you snooze you loose.

Woodinville, WA(Zone 8b)

It's also hydrangea macrophylla 'hanabi'

This explains the "naming game"

http://www.weekendgardener.net/landscape-plants/hydrangea-macrophylla-shootingstar.htm

This site has it

http://www.rarefindnursery.com/index.cfm/action/productdetail/product_id/3587.htm

Check out this thread:

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/948961/

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.