Going to 30 degrees tonight, what MUST I do?

Mableton, GA(Zone 7a)

It's going down to 30 degrees tonight. Do I HAVE to dig my caladiums this afternoon? It will be back above freezing again for a couple of weeks I'm sure. This will just kill the foliage... will it kill the bulb too? I ask because I'm pushed for time cutting coleus and bringing in annuals this afternoon and it's already 5:30 pm.

Also, would you bring into the garage you un-planted perennials?

(I know, I'm a mess...)

Thanks y'all.

GA, GA(Zone 7b)

In my opinion...

-the perennials will be fine if they are hardy to this zone. I've left out potted hardy perennials all winter and they were fine.

-the caladiums could get leaf damage but the soil will be warmer than the air so the bulbs should be fine.

-I would stay focused on the coleus since it is extremely sensitive to cold.

Hope that helps!

Powder Springs, GA(Zone 7b)

I agree with everything Danita says. The caladium bulbs are very sensitive too cold so I'd concentrate on them next especially the harder to come by varieties. Coleus are easy enough to start but easier to replace next year than pampering them through winter in a house. What annuals would you be saving and are they worth saving?

Mableton, GA(Zone 7a)

Well, it's dark now. I got all my coleus cuttings and brought in what few annuals I had left. I huddled up my potted perennials and I'll dig my caladiums this weekend.
Whew. That does it for now.

Thanks again. :-)

Alpharetta, GA(Zone 7b)

I just cut down my brug to prep for the frost tonight .. they're in full bloom didn't really want to cut them down :-)

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.